FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Incredible 3D sound: Holophonics

Bondings
This is something you need to hear with a headphone, otherwise the effect is mostly lost. You can hear it's special with speakers, but it's way less impressive, in my opinion.

By intensive calculations you can calculate the exact frequencies for the left and right side of a headphone in order to simulate moving objects that create sound, like a hair dryer. This currently takes way too much time to calculate for a video game (and people are more enthusiastic about graphics so not much effort is put into it for games).

It creates a very creepy feeling because you have the impression that the sound is actually coming from the room or from behind/next to you instead of from the speakers like usual. Definitely worth to watch, erhm, I mean hear. Wink

adri
Wow Shocked , that was really impressive to hear. I got the creeps with the scotchtape and those bees, it was like they were in my ear. Definitely something to hear. Smile

Adri
Aredon
When you said headphones I was worried that my surround sound wouldn't do it justice, but honestly this was very impressive in a 5.1 sound environment! Could we be seeing this in movies in the future?
Bondings
Aredon wrote:
When you said headphones I was worried that my surround sound wouldn't do it justice, but honestly this was very impressive in a 5.1 sound environment! Could we be seeing this in movies in the future?

It's already used in some movies, but not to this level.

However even if it is quite impressive in a 5.1 sound environment, it is nothing compared to the effect with headphones. I tried them both and the difference is huge, especially the bee(s) in your head adri mentioned.
Magicman
This is really impressive technology. My favorite example of this kind of sound set up is the Virtual Barber shop. If you close your eyes during these videos it is a very strange experience, and yet in some ways it is even stranger with your eyes open because your ears are telling you there is something happening near you but you can't see it.

carlospro7
I have heard the virtual barbershop before and it was so cool. I wonder if they can do this with music and give the illusion that you are sitting in the middle of a band.
Ghost Rider103
That was pretty amazing.

I have to say I personally though the bee noise was the most impressive. It really was like a bee was right in my ear.

Would be awesome if they started using this technology in movies. Which I'm sure they eventually will.
[FuN]goku
Wow! The hair dryer one was the one that creeped me out the most.
Really freaky to hear with a pair of Sennheisers.
ssweat
very cool I played it a few times with eyes open and closed. Technology is amazing. In some games I have noticed I have been submerged in them so deeply that I jump at times when something scary happens lol. Amazing video though
Donutey
Some soundcard software lets you simulate 5.1 surround when you have headphones on.
lanalhueairsoft
nice sounds
driftingfe3s
Couldn't find my headphones, but it worked pretty good with my speaker setup. It helps to close your eyes so you could just focus on the sounds. I really like the sissors, it made it seem like I was really getting a hair cut!
Aredon
Hooked up some bluetooth headphones today, and I must confess, it really is much better with them Laughing.
jabce85
umm... doesn't just about every fps incorporate this in it's software?
deanhills
Quite impressive. Wonder what would happen if they tried this with a thunder storm, pelting rain, wind and thunder, also with an earthquake. How about under water sounds?

What made a difference for me is that I could feel the sensation of the objects much more, like physically blowing a balloon, or snipping with scissors.
Aredon
jabce85 wrote:
umm... doesn't just about every fps incorporate this in it's software?
You're thinking of a 3-d sound environment, which creates directional sound. Not necessarily realistic sound. This technology is looking to get as close as it can to duplicating real world sound. So no, games aren't quite there yet, and probably won't be unless we start getting really beastly sound cards. Which will be expensive. Go-Go on-board sound!
Helios
I'm really looking forward for future games to include sounds on this level, really amazing stuff.
Would be awesome to play a horror game or an FPS where such technology is used.
Cool find, Bonds
Blandon75
Bondings wrote:
Aredon wrote:

It's already used in some movies, but not to this level.

However even if it is quite impressive in a 5.1 sound environment, it is nothing compared to the effect with headphones. I tried them both and the difference is huge, especially the bee(s) in your head adri mentioned.

The problem with headphones is, it gets irritating in the ear when you use it in prolong period of time. I guess there are Headphones that not irritating when used but it cost much or sometimes don’t hold much in the head. I just hope there will be a headphone that has 5.1 surround environments but still isn’t irritating in the ear even when you use it for a long period of time.
Insanity
Think of the possibilities that can come with this technology. Video games can be completely immersive, and I see it as a complement to the 3d technology of the future.
saratdear
I almost slapped myself trying to swat the invisible bee. Laughing

Incredible effect, really. I used earphones instead of headphones and it still sounded awesome.
deanhills
Bondings wrote:
This is weird Bondings, I think I've just smellt the boxing tape that featured in the sounds, that typical smell. Now that IS strange. Could that be a reflex kind of thing? Certain noises with certain smells? Shocked
standready
Awesomely weird. Worked well with my speakers probably because they are set a good distance apart.