FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Chairman Mao and the Personality Cult

peaceupnorth

The Cult of Mao Zedong

I was reading recently on the cult of personalty many leaders create around them.

Mao Zedong, the plump politician in the preceding picture, has been a figure of veneration and literal worship in China for quite some time. Even today, his picture is thought to drive away evil spirits by some people.

He has been known as "The Savior of the People" in his image was put on everything... every knickknack you can imagine.

This leader also carried out reforms in China which ended up killing more people than Hitler or Stalin. The purged his Communist party so many times, killing off many competent leaders in order to keep himself in power.

It's amazing how some people can create a bizarre personal mythology, trying to make themselves into gods, while behaving like beasts. Is this what power does? I wonder what I would do if I had the absolute power that Mao had...

What would you do? Nobody would withhold you anything you wanted.
socceraggie
Quote:

I found your last statement interesting. I'm not that familiar with Mao; however, with such power I think you face different challenges. While anything Mao wanted (in a physical sense) he would get. When he wanted information, I can imagine there always being doubt in the answer he is provided. Is someone not telling him bad news for fear that they will be punished so they hide the bad news or blame someone else. While nothing in a physical sense would be withheld from you, the more important things such as information would be hidden or smoothed over to avoid punishment.

I think in a position of power there are many challenging decisions that the average person can not even conceive. As a president of dictator, you decide the fate of millions, either directly or indirectly. If I were in power, I hope that my strong morals and convictions would hold up to the tests that would be presented to me. Do we invade another country to protect ourselves or our interests? Do I sign off on this legislation? Do I spend more money that could put my country into more debt but help a lot of people in need? Being in charge has advantages, but the decisions that must be made represent the other side of the coin of power.
gandalfthegrey
What the hell is up with Nepal? I can't believe Maoists still exist outside of China, and that they enjoy great popularity!
deanhills
peaceupnorth wrote:
It's amazing how some people can create a bizarre personal mythology, trying to make themselves into gods, while behaving like beasts. Is this what power does? I wonder what I would do if I had the absolute power that Mao had...

I would hate to be as publicly exposed to that. Hitler and Stalin probably were on par with Mao Tse Tung. Think all of them were at the right place at the right time to cash in on people's vulnerability, as all of the societies at that time were badly in need of leadership and direction. People were just about willing to believe anything to get rid of their economic woes. All of those leaders were able to sketch all the positives that people would be earning when they subscribe to their power. Eventually when they did get the power, they also forced all the others to join up as well, which is the point where it really got very ugly.
mengshi200
I would hate to be as publicly exposed to that. Hitler and Stalin probably were on par with Mao Tse Tung. Think all of them were at the right place at the right time to cash in on people's vulnerability, as all of the societies at that time were badly in need of leadership and direction. People were just about willing to believe anything to get rid of their economic woes.
---------------------------

I agree this appoint completely.deanhills is amazing polymathy about politics.