FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

[YOUTUBE]***[/YOUTUBE]

deanhills
I have noticed that there is now a capability of inserting YouTube video clips like images into postings by using [YOUTUBE]***[/YOUTUBE] coding. Would this take up a lot of space, or is it something Frihost could do as well? A positive is that people would then not navigate away from the Forum by getting lost with watching YouTube related shows in the YouTube Website. They would only look at the show that is being discussed and focus on postings in the Frihost Forum.
Bondings
Yes, I suppose this could be done. I'm not sure if it is really needed that much, considering there aren't that many video clips posted.
Peterssidan
If this is implemented I think it's best to not allow youtube videos in the signatures. I think it will only be disturbing and slow down.
deanhills
Bondings wrote:
Yes, I suppose this could be done. I'm not sure if it is really needed that much, considering there aren't that many video clips posted.
I remember when you posted one in the Chat Forum that I completely got carried away with looking at other YouTube shows. There are quite a few links to YouTube shows in the political forum as far as I know. Especially when we are discussing speeches, media reports and talk shows.
Bondings
deanhills wrote:
Bondings wrote:
I remember when you posted one in the Chat Forum that I completely got carried away with looking at other YouTube shows. There are quite a few links to YouTube shows in the political forum as far as I know. Especially when we are discussing speeches, media reports and talk shows.

I used to be thinking about creating a forum about video clips. Since I currently don't think it is worth all the trouble to create it (it was supposed to be specifically coded for this), simply in-lining movies in the current forums/posts is maybe a better idea.

About the signatures, indeed it definitely shouldn't be allowed there. Actually they probably don't fit in the size restrictions anyway; unfortunately those are manually checked.
Bondings
Let's test it.

Seems to work fine!

Done: http://www.frihost.com/users/Bondings/blog/vp-113564.html
Ghost Rider103
That's cool, I didn't even know you could do that.

I don't think I've ever posted a YouTube video, but like Deanhills said, it would keep people on Frihost and keep them from navigating away from Frihost.

Good add!
sonam
Hi,
cool idea and fast realization. Can we use this in our blogs too or only in specific video forum?

Sonam
Bondings
sonam wrote:
Hi,
cool idea and fast realization. Can we use this in our blogs too or only in specific video forum?

Sonam

No, you can use this in every forum or post that allows bbcode, as long as it is suited in the topic/forum. It is working in the blogs, however there is no button for it there, you need to do it manually.
sonam
Great, I like this new feature. Applause

Sonam
deanhills
Bondings wrote:
Let's test it.

Seems to work fine!

Done: http://www.frihost.com/users/Bondings/blog/vp-113564.html
Awesome! Great stuff. Thanks very much Steve. I think ever since your Poker Face thread in the Chat Forum, I have become addicted to YouTube and find myself digging for information in YouTube as much as I do with Wikipedia. Would be interesting if YouTube and Wikipedia should join forces with one another one of these days, there seems to be a bit of synergy between the two, although YouTube is much more informal and not as edited as Wikipedia.
cr3ativ3
It may be usefull (if it can be done easily enough), to prevent the youtube videos from appearing twice in one topic.. I.E. As seen above someone quoting the original post. That way the page doesnt take forever to load for some people with a whole bunch of space being wated by the Applet appearing multiple times on one page.
Bondings
deanhills wrote:
Awesome! Great stuff. Thanks very much Steve. I think ever since your Poker Face thread in the Chat Forum, I have become addicted to YouTube and find myself digging for information in YouTube as much as I do with Wikipedia. Would be interesting if YouTube and Wikipedia should join forces with one another one of these days, there seems to be a bit of synergy between the two, although YouTube is much more informal and not as edited as Wikipedia.

If you find something interesting or funny, please share it with us. I like those things too and I'm sure a lot of people here too. Very Happy
ocalhoun
cr3ativ3 wrote:
It may be usefull (if it can be done easily enough), to prevent the youtube videos from appearing twice in one topic.. I.E. As seen above someone quoting the original post. That way the page doesnt take forever to load for some people with a whole bunch of space being wated by the Applet appearing multiple times on one page.

A very good point!
Might be difficult to code though.
snowboardalliance
ocalhoun wrote:
cr3ativ3 wrote:

A very good point!
Might be difficult to code though.

Stripping it from quotes seems to be a simple automated process. But does it really matter other than forcing users to scroll more? I mean the videos won't all load unless you click them right?
misterXY
Peterssidan wrote:
If this is implemented I think it's best to not allow youtube videos in the signatures. I think it will only be disturbing and slow down.

AHH NOT RICK ROLLING ON FRIHOST >_<!!!!!!!! NEY NEY NEY! DON'T DO!
If so, l'm going too get Flash Block on FireFox, youtube is useless in a forum IMO. No one will write, just link too youtube for how-to, spammers will post youtube videos too be "followed", etc........ Don't open the Pandoras Box, please don't Sad

Edited: not too bad.. Haven 't seen it abused which is good Smile