FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Netbooks vs Laptops?

deanhills
I was wondering whether anyone has had experience with Netbooks, and how they would compare with your experience with a Laptop? Which brand are you using?

Where I am, the most common Netbooks are Asus, HP and Samsung. Sony is a bit expensive, and Dell considered "cheap".
Some examples:
http://reviews.cnet.com/best-netbooks/

I checked out Samsung, and really like it, especially since they have a special deal where you get a DVD writer bundled into the package. 1GB RAM (which I think I would like to expand to 2GB), 160GB Hard Disk. 270 Atom. I particularly like the screen. It is 10.1, and non-reflective TFT Active Matrix. Just very small however of course if one has been used to a Laptop before. It has three UBS slots. Battery is supposed to last for 5 hours. It comes with battery manager software. Really lightweight - 2.1lb. May be good value but I also heard that there is a completely new generation of Netbooks on its way. Darn!
iman
Those who say netbooks are better are mostly younger people who value portability and gadget-y things. However, the older ones are mostly against it, since typing is way harder.
As for me, it depends on the type of netbook. If I'm after gaming, I'd be against the ones that range from $400~$600 (mostly the ones that use xp or win 7 starter), but I'm okay with them if I'm just after being weight. However, recently, I found a notable vaio which had win 7 and had excellent processing and graphics, and very thin at that, really kickass. The only thing is, it cost about $2400, which I'd probably use for buying a stronger notebook instead.
AftershockVibe
Originally the term "netbook" actually meant something. Now it's become a buzzword, companies use it all the time for products which are in reality often larger and (relatively) better spec-ed than small laptops 5 years ago.

I highly recommend just ignoring the word and doing a spec-to-price comparison, just treating them all like laptops(since the name really no longer means anything.

Also, as iman pointed out typing can be hard on small keyboards. Some people just can't do it and some people find it really uncomfortable. I suggest giving it a go first, especially if you're buying a particularly small model.
ForceRun
Netbooks are alright for basic internet use, mattering on which one you get. My friend got one about 6 months ago, but ended up selling not too long after getting it as it sucked for video play back. He went with a highend laptop with the perk that he can do some gaming on the new laptop. Netbooks are a great option for basic internet use, but that is it. I defiantly would not use them as a main system, maybe a second computer or even third. For the most part, netbooks can't run HQ youtube.com, HD Video, Standrad Video sometimes, gaming, apps that require a strong processor such as Photoshop.
Helios
Few of my friends bought those tiny ugly netbooks... I don't know, I think they're garbage.
If I'm buying a laptop today, I'd like it to have multimedia capabilities as well.
Big comfortable screen, big comfortable keyboard, powerful specializations - that can only be a laptop. Yes they are more expensive, can be two times more expensive than a notbook, but worth the price in my opinion. I mean 700$ (netbook) compared to 1000$ or 1100$ (decent laptop)... it's pretty affordable for most people today.
Donutey
If you are using a netbook as your primary computer you will be extremely disappointed. However if you have a desktop or a laptop to use when you need more features (i.e. HD video playback, DVD/CD drive, more HDD space, games etc) they can be a good choice.
iman
AftershockVibe wrote:
Some people just can't do it and some people find it really uncomfortable. I suggest giving it a go first, especially if you're buying a particularly small model.

I think people can get accustomed to small keyboards tho. Just like being a noob at using touchpads at first, and practicing until you can play fps with touchpads. I know people who are good in typing using small keyboards using just one hand. Hard, but still doable.
Jean-Clod
Both! Yay!
Ahem..
As you may have understood, I have both (typical Acer laptop, and an Asus eeePC 900 - with the celeron CPU, and the 12Gb storage, you know..), and the experience is not very different.

In french, 2 terms are used:
-"portable" means uh..well "portable", you can use it everywhere. That's the netbook
-"transportable"/"portatif" means movable. You use it like a typical desktop, but it's (a lot) easyier to move it. That's the notebook.

I think the best notebook belongs probably to the Dell Mini series, or Samsung's NC. Well, nowadays, all netbooks are practically the same.. Just the design matters
weableandbob
I honestly hate netbooks. They're overly tiny, which means the keyboard is way too small, and I can't handle the slowness of them. Laptops are noticeably better, but nothing beats a good desktop Smile
iman
Hey guys, what do you think of the iPad?
It's really a good price considering it's a tablet and it's apple, so do you think it's worth it?
I'm waiting for more features, though.
Hogwarts
Helios wrote:
I mean 700$ (netbook) compared to 1000$ or 1100$ (decent laptop)... it's pretty affordable for most people today.

My EEE 701 cost around $140 US to buy when I got it. What are you talking about?

Also, 'iman', the iPad is just an over-glorified iPhone which swallowed a digital photo frame. I mean, massive bezel besides, you can do a grand total of one thing at a time on it. How does that even come near competing with either netbook or laptop? It's just a fisher-price toy.
deanhills
Thanks for all the comment. I have been trying a Samsung out at work, and I must say the keyboard is really tiny. Quite irritating really, takes me ages to type, and feels very clumsy. The one I was trying was also slow, especially when loading new software and updating Norton Anti-Virus. If I get one it should have at least 2GB RAM, 1GB is not enough. Think I would like a size in between laptop and netbook (probably being difficult now). I saw a nice Sony in that category, not too small, not too big and quite lightweight, including a DVD Drive which the Netbooks don't have. Comes at a hefty price however.

@Hogwarts. I've also seen EEE's here in the Middle East, at very competitive and very low prices. They seem to be of the more popular Netbooks on sale right now, and are also more up to date in latest technology with more Atom power and more memory. What I did not like about them was their LCDs, which are reflecting, i.e. when you get a light shining into it, it more or less blinds you. One of the reasons I was looking at HP and Samsung was that their LCDs are non-reflecting. Obviously the colour does not show up as well in a non-reflecting LCD, but it is less irritating to the eyes. The Samsung Netbook LCD for me is the superior of HP and Samsung.
Marcuzzo
I was also looking for one a while ago.
most of them have XP home edition on it and the one with Windows 7 is the "starter edition" which is total Cr*p, you can't even run more then 3 apps at the same time.

and as said before.. the keyboard is tiny.
I have pretty big hands and when I got to the store and tried to type something I instantly changed my mind... and got myself a propper laptop
Hogwarts
Marcuzzo wrote:
and as said before.. the keyboard is tiny.
I have pretty big hands and when I got to the store and tried to type something I instantly changed my mind... and got myself a propper laptop

I don't particularly have small hands; and I average over 100wpm on my EEE 701. As with conventional keyboards, you don't immediately type quickly; you're almost learning something new -- so they take a couple of days to get used to.
deanhills
Marcuzzo wrote:
and the one with Windows 7 is the "starter edition" which is total Cr*p, you can't even run more then 3 apps at the same time.
Great to hear your verdict Marcuzzo. I was wondering what the Windows 7 Starter Edition would be like, as of course they are being used as a "selling tool", something great, although I'm almost certain that the Starter Edition is totally inferior to the Windows XP that comes with some of the older models.

When I was making enquiries I found that one could have a choice of getting Sony Laptops and Netbooks with a Windows 7 Professional operating software, but of course at a great difference to the price. Would appear that Microsoft is going to make sure people pay for Windows 7.
iman
Hogwarts wrote:

Also, 'iman', the iPad is just an over-glorified iPhone which swallowed a digital photo frame. I mean, massive bezel besides, you can do a grand total of one thing at a time on it. How does that even come near competing with either netbook or laptop? It's just a fisher-price toy.

That might be true, but because the hardware is not that bad, it's probably moddable, even if it comes to the point of replacing the OS. A few years back, a 1 Ghz processor isn't that bad anyway.
ForceRun
Apple and mod-able is an oxymoron.
Jean-Clod
deanhills wrote:
If I get one it should have at least 2GB RAM, 1GB is not enough.

Well that's upgradeable; and more RAM means less battery life! That's why manufacturers don't want to put more RAM in netbooks. And that would meean a heftier price tag, so don't expect that anytime soon! (at least until the DDR2 "crisis" (you know: less supply, prices go up) ends)

deanhills wrote:
Think I would like a size in between laptop and netbook (probably being difficult now). I saw a nice Sony in that category, not too small, not too big and quite lightweight, including a DVD Drive which the Netbooks don't have. Comes at a hefty price however.

You mean a 13 incher? I agree, that would just be perfect. But that's a niche ultraportable market. Expensive and high-end laptops: Dell Adamo XPS, many Sony laptops, MacBook Air, etc..
shenyl
I have a netbook from Axiio for over 2 years now.

I also owned a LG notebook at 1.8Ghz, and a Acer Notebook at 2.6 Ghz.

I would say, that the netbook serves me well - I need to qualify - for basic presentations, for my holidays in Japan (to book shikensen - bullet train seats, to check email, to store my digital photos from my 3 cameras into the 320 GB HDD).

I cannot use it much for development and training to networking - slow and creates lots of disk fragmentation of C drive.

For the correct jobs, the netbook is light on weight and sufficient for most normal PC tasks.

With regards.
jwellsy
Will netbooks run Openoffice?
Do they need a wifi hotspot to connect to the internet?
Hogwarts
jwellsy wrote:
Will netbooks run Openoffice?
Do they need a wifi hotspot to connect to the internet?

Depends on what hardware/software you have/want

If you wanted OpenFffice, you could install it. If you wanted Microsoft Office, you could install it (if you're running a Linux OS, look into WINE). If you wanted to connect via a wifi hotspot, you could. Otherwise, there are plenty of hardware options (internal/external) to connect to the internet wherever you please. Hell, my current laptop has bluetooth, and I can just use my phone to connect to the net if I want Smile
jwellsy
WOW, I didn't realize the specs on these netbooks are what they are. Some of them have pretty darn good specs. I agree that they need 2 gig of ram. You're not going to do much video editing on one. But Damn, I'm not sure a laptop is even worth lugging around anymore. And, they are only going to get better.