FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Page width of "quotes" and "postings"

deanhills
Is there any way to format the "quotes" and "postings" so that they would fit into the width of the screen. In the example below the posting seems to stretch way past the screen - or is this a peculiarity of my screen only? Smile :
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-113498.html#941868
Peterssidan
The page is stretch because of one of your earlier posts http://www.frihost.com/forums/vp-941562.html#941562
The link is so long but will not wrap line because there is no space or other such characters that signal new word. So the whole page width is extended to fit. The same happens with very wide images.
truespeed
If you edit your post using a url= You won't see the link code at all,just the word you use for the link.

Your link

Code:
[url=url]Your link[/url]
ocalhoun
There is a way around it; I've seen other phpbb forums where if a stretching like this occurs, it will only affect the post with the long text in it, leaving all the others alone.

It's just a modification of the theme.
deanhills
Peterssidan wrote:
The page is stretch because of one of your earlier posts http://www.frihost.com/forums/vp-941562.html#941562
The link is so long but will not wrap line because there is no space or other such characters that signal new word. So the whole page width is extended to fit. The same happens with very wide images.
Thanks Peterssidan. How do I get the lines to wrap then? I thought that would have been the Forum Website design that would sort it out, or is there something I could do to ensure that all the lines wrap to the size of the message windows?
sonam
Every one can wrap text or cut image in own post but if someone else post long link or too big image then theme is broken again. I am comming to read this forum from three different computers and independent of resolution I have broken theme or not. If I am right only Bondings can solve this problem but not so easy.

Sonam
Peterssidan
The problem is depending on the resolution (or window width) so it's hard to know what is too wide. A small monitor will get this problem with quite reasonable image/link widths. Often this problem doesn't occur with links because they often contains a lot of / which allows the link to wrap.
Bondings
What I could do is to check for very long url's and replace the visible url with something like "Long URL", while keeping the actual link.
mOrpheuS
Bondings wrote:
What I could do is to check for very long url's and replace the visible url with something like "Long URL", while keeping the actual link.

It's not just long URLs, any text that is sufficiently long and doesn't contain whitespaces will cause the page to spill over horizontally.
Bondings
mOrpheuS wrote:
Bondings wrote:

It's not just long URLs, any text that is sufficiently long and doesn't contain whitespaces will cause the page to spill over horizontally.

Indeed, but most of the time it's a link. And text is harder to fix, other than to insert a space.

Images have the same effect, by the way.
deanhills
Bondings wrote:
Indeed, but most of the time it's a link. And text is harder to fix, other than to insert a space. Images have the same effect, by the way.
Just demonstrated to myself that if I buried the "loooong" link below into a couple of words, that it won't spill over the page horizontally? I.e.:
Paring back healthcare bill
With photos I guess the photos that would spill over the width of the page would be wider than the width of the page? As the URL for the photo below is very loooong, however the page still remained standard width.

mOrpheuS
deanhills wrote:
I guess the photos that would spill over the width of the page would be wider than the width of the page?

That's what Bondings meant.

I could post an example, but that will only spoil this page Smile
Bondings
There are a few topics that have one or more very wide images and cause problems. However as this isn't a photography-oriented or wallpaper-oriented forum, I don't think it matters that much.

The problem is - simply put - that an element on the page is very long and hence the page needs to be that wide. This can be a very long word (random characters usually), a very long url or a very long/wide image.
AftershockVibe
If this is really an issue and given that this happens so rarely, couldn't it be added to the moderator "report" button. So that mods can edit it out manually, assuming they don't notice themselves?
Bondings
AftershockVibe wrote:
If this is really an issue and given that this happens so rarely, couldn't it be added to the moderator "report" button. So that mods can edit it out manually, assuming they don't notice themselves?

Yes that's a solution too, although you can use *any* reason to report a post/topic/user, even if it isn't specified. There is a text field to clarify.