FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Massachusetts Senate race - Dems in trouble?





deanhills
Would be amazing if the Dems should loose the Massachusetts Senate Seat - Vote No. 60 in the Health Reform Bill? Would be very ironic after the legacy of Ted Kennedy campaigning so hard and tirelessly for the Bill. What do you think, does Scott Brown stand a chance of winning the seat, and if "yes" would this impact the Health Reform Bill negatively? Looks as though he does have a chance to win in the same way that Obama won votes, i.e. in the form of protest votes. The people of Massachusetts seem to be unhappy with where Obama is heading.
Quote:
Polls closed in a tight Massachusetts race for the U.S. Senate on Tuesday that could threaten passage of President Barack Obama's legislative agenda and scuttle his push for a sweeping healthcare overhaul.

What once looked likely to be an easy Democratic victory has turned into a desperate scramble after a surge by the Republican, state Senator Scott Brown, over the past few weeks in the race for the late liberal Democratic icon Edward Kennedy's old seat.

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/us_usa_politics_massachusetts
Alaskacameradude
deanhills wrote:
Would be amazing if the Dems should loose the Massachusetts Senate Seat - Vote No. 60 in the Health Reform Bill? Would be very ironic after the legacy of Ted Kennedy campaigning so hard and tirelessly for the Bill. What do you think, does Scott Brown stand a chance of winning the seat, and if "yes" would this impact the Health Reform Bill negatively? Looks as though he does have a chance to win in the same way that Obama won votes, i.e. in the form of protest votes. The people of Massachusetts seem to be unhappy with where Obama is heading.
Quote:
Polls closed in a tight Massachusetts race for the U.S. Senate on Tuesday that could threaten passage of President Barack Obama's legislative agenda and scuttle his push for a sweeping healthcare overhaul.

What once looked likely to be an easy Democratic victory has turned into a desperate scramble after a surge by the Republican, state Senator Scott Brown, over the past few weeks in the race for the late liberal Democratic icon Edward Kennedy's old seat.

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/us_usa_politics_massachusetts


As I told you on another thread, my sources tell me that there is a lot of voter disapproval out
there over the way the Dems have been conducting business ....and I suspect that if this continues
that Republicans will make very large gains in the Nov. elections. However, the Dems have time
to change their course. So maybe losing this race will be the best thing to happen to them as
they may see that they need to rein in their liberal policies a bit and move a bit toward the center.
And they DID lose this race, according to this:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_massachusetts_senate;_ylt=AgynEQk8Pcxw10nSf8zrEo9h24cA;_ylu=X3oDMTFiZjh1aDV2BHBvcwMxBHNlYwN5bl9icmVha2luZ19uZXdzBHNsawNicmVha2luZ25ld3M-
deanhills
Alaskacameradude wrote:
As I told you on another thread, my sources tell me that there is a lot of voter disapproval out
there over the way the Dems have been conducting business ....and I suspect that if this continues
that Republicans will make very large gains in the Nov. elections. However, the Dems have time
to change their course. So maybe losing this race will be the best thing to happen to them as
they may see that they need to rein in their liberal policies a bit and move a bit toward the center.
And they DID lose this race, according to this:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_massachusetts_senate;_ylt=AgynEQk8Pcxw10nSf8zrEo9h24cA;_ylu=X3oDMTFiZjh1aDV2BHBvcwMxBHNlYwN5bl9icmVha2luZ19uZXdzBHNsawNicmVha2luZ25ld3M-
WOW! I simply cannot believe it!!!! This cannot be true - Yoohoo!!!! they did it!!!!! Talk about being bowled over by this and what an upset that has to be for the Dems. Hope this is a good sign of what is to happen this year. Really good news and a really good looking couple too. What a contrast to Ted Kennedy however. Looks as though there are really great winds of change blowing over Dem territories everywhere, like you told us before. Very exciting times ahead for us this year.

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100120/ap_on_el_se/us_massachusetts_senate;_ylt=AiQoOBBTDOTsiI7XQNDqvJBvzwcF;_ylu=X3oDMTJvODNvY2wyBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMTAwMTIwL3VzX21hc3NhY2h1c2V0dHNfc2VuYXRlBGNwb3MDMQRwb3MDMQRzZWMDeW5fdG9wX3N0b3J5BHNsawNtYXNzYWNodXNldHQ-
jwellsy
I can't believe those mouth breathing stooopid redneck teabaggin truck driven racists would do such a thing. They must have bussed in astroturf crowds to vote for the deceased registered voters.

It would almost be worth watching Oberman and Maddow just to watch their hate filled heads explode.
jmi256
jwellsy wrote:
It would almost be worth watching Oberman and Maddow just to watch their hate filled heads explode.

Funny. I'm sure they are having a heart attack. I was watching a 'news' program this morning that had some pundits on talking about the election in Mass, and they all looked like they were ready open a vein. I think liberals are going on suicide watch.

To be honest I don't really know all that much about Brown or Coakley, as I didn't follow the race closely until the last couple of weeks. From what I gather he's not really that much of a conservative, but ran as a Republican since he's probably as conservative as you can be in the liberal bastion of Massachusetts. But it was interesting to see a Republican winning "Teddy's" senate seat in a thoroughly blue state. It seems to me to be more of lash out toward Obama and his idiotic agenda than a vote for Brown. I think this should be a wake-up call for Obama, but we'll see if he listens. He hasn't listened to the American people so far, so I have a feeling he'll gloss over this. I already see a lot of his spin doctors trying to deflect criticism away from Obama for this loss and instead focus on attacking Coakley.
Alaskacameradude
Quote:

It would almost be worth watching Oberman and Maddow just to watch their hate filled heads explode.


Funny you say that, I was thinking the exact same thing. Key word of course being ALMOST!
deanhills
jmi256 wrote:
I think liberals are going on suicide watch.
Laughing Wonder what Obama is doing? Probably doing triple work-outs in the gym?
jwellsy
According to Obama's teleprompter:
Quote:
"Here's my assessment of not just the vote in Massachusetts but the mood around the country: The same thing that swept Scott Brown into office swept me into office," the president said in an exclusive interview with ABC News's George Stephanopoulos."People are angry and they are frustrated. Not just because of what's happened in the last year or two years but what's happened over the last eight years."


The man-child still just doesn't get it.
Quote:
President Obama on Wednesday said the reason his health-care reform is on life support because Congress took too long to debating it and he didn’t talk enough to citizens about its benefits for them.

“I wish we had gotten it done faster,” Obama said in an interview with ABC’s George Stephanopoulos. “People would have understood the degree to which … health care is part of a broader context of how am I going to be able to move the middle class forward in a more secure and stable way.”

Obama, one year to the day after his historic inauguration, argued that when Americans are educated about the details of his plan “those specific provisions are actually very popular.”

“One of the things that I have learned in Washington is you have to repeat yourself a lot because because unfortunately it doesn’t penetrate,” he said.

The president, making his first public comments after a Republican candidate on Tuesday won the special election to fill Sen. Ted Kennedy’s Massachusetts Senate seat, said he understands that some Americans view his administration as a bunch of “technocrats up here … making decisions.”

But he said the main reason for this was not his policies but rather his communications strategy.

“What I haven’t always been successful at doing is breaking through the noise and speaking directly to the American people in a way that during the campaign you could do,” he said.

He also admitted he has failed to “change the tone here in Washington.”

“I am going to keep on trying, though,” he said.

However, he also said that the reason Republicans have opposed his initiatives has been because they made a decision “that the best political strategy was to simply say, ‘No.’”



He honestly feels he didn't give enough speeches.
Quote:

SPEECHES, COMMENTS & REMARKS: 411
• Includes 52 addresses or statements specifically on his health care proposals.
• He used a TelePrompTer at least 178 times. (Technically, it was 177 ½ . On July 13, 2009, one of the teleprompter screens on the left side of his lectern fell to the ground and broke shortly after he began speaking. So he was left with half a TelePrompTer.)


(CBS)
NEWS CONFERENCES: 42
• Of which 5 were formal, solo White House Q&A sessions. Four were in prime time. His last one was July 22, 2009. (seen at left)
• Nearly all of the other press availabilities were joint appearances with foreign leaders at which as few as 1 question was taken by Mr. Obama.
• Predecessor George W. Bush did 21 news conferences his first year of which 4 were formal, solo White House sessions. Only 1 was in prime time.

INTERVIEWS: 158.
• This is a striking number of interviews and far more than any of his recent predecessors in their first year. Ninety of the sessions were TV interviews. Eleven were radio. The rest were newspaper and magazine. The number reflects the White House media strategy that Mr. Obama can best respond to questions in an interview setting.

TOWN HALL MEETINGS: 23
• Includes 1 in Strasbourg, France and another in Shanghai, China

DOMESTIC TRAVEL: 46 out-of-town trips to 58 cities and towns in 30 states
• Most frequently visited state by Mr. Obama: New York* (excluding Maryland & Virginia, which border DC and to which visits are more local than out-of-town).
• President George W. Bush made appearances in 39 states during his 1st year.
• President Clinton visited 22 states in 1993, his first year.

FOREIGN TRAVEL: 10 foreign trips to 21 nations (4 of them twice).
• Mr. Obama made more trips abroad in his first year than has any other U.S. President.
• Next most frequent foreign traveler during first year in office was President George H.W. Bush: 7 trips to 14 countries.

FLIGHTS ON AIR FORCE ONE: 160


(AP Photo/Charles Dharapak)
FLIGHTS ON MARINE ONE: 193

POLITICAL FUNDRAISERS: 28
• The events raised at least $27.25 million. (3 of the events Mr. Obama attended declined to disclose how much was raised.
• George W. Bush did 6 fundraisers his 1st year raising over $48 million.

CAMPAIGN RALLIES: 7
• The rallies were for Gov. Jon Corzine, D-N.J., gubernatorial candidate Creigh Deeds, D-Va, and U.S. Senate Candidate Martha Coakley, D-Mass. All of them lost.

MEETINGS WITH FOREIGN LEADERS: 74 (several multiple times)
• This counts meetings with chiefs of state or heads of government
• George W. Bush met with 115 his first year (many more than once)

NATIONAL DEBT: On day Mr. Obama took office: $10.626 trillion
• One year later: $12.319 trillion
• Increase on Mr. Obama's watch: $1.693 trillion

BILL SIGNINGS: 124 of which Mr. Obama did 13 bill-signing ceremonies.

VISITS TO CAMP DAVID: 11 visits totaling all or part of 27 days.
• George W. Bush made 26 visits his first year spanning all or part of 81 days

VETOES: 1
• Mr. Obama's only veto to date killed a bill to keep Defense Dept operating in case Appropriations measure wasn't passed, which eventually it was.
• George W. Bush – 0 vetoes in first year. In fact, he didn't cast his first veto until his 5th year in office.

PARDONS or COMMUTATIONS: 0*
* Not counting 2 turkeys he pardoned at Thanksgiving.
(A White House aide says first year presidents are inundated with pardon petitions and usually don't grant any until after "an extensive review process is conducted at the Justice Department.")
• George W. Bush granted no executive clemency his first year either, except for turkeys.

VACATIONS: All or part of 26 days over 4 trips
• George W. Bush spent 69 days at his Texas ranch over 9 trips to his ranch his 1st year.


(AP Photo/Steven Senne)
GOLF: 29 rounds of golf
• Most frequent courses: Fort Belvoir 11 times; Andrews AFB: 8 times.
• George W. Bush played golf 7 times his first year.

OUT OF THE PUBLIC EYE: 21 days on which Mr. Obama did not have a public or press appearance.

WHAT PRESIDENT OBAMA LEARNED IN HIS 1ST YEAR? Spokesman Robert Gibbs said yesterday that "change is never easy; that change takes time; that change has to go through Congress."


Maybe if he could silence all those people that only say NO to his agenda and only allow voices to be heard that add meaningful substance towards his agenda, then they can fundamentally change to a one world totalitarian government.


http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0110/Obama_The_same_thing_that_swept_me_into_office.html?showall

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2010/01/20/politics/politicalhotsheet/entry6119525.shtml
deanhills
jwellsy wrote:
According to Obama's teleprompter:
Quote:
"Here's my assessment of not just the vote in Massachusetts but the mood around the country: The same thing that swept Scott Brown into office swept me into office," the president said in an exclusive interview with ABC News's George Stephanopoulos."People are angry and they are frustrated. Not just because of what's happened in the last year or two years but what's happened over the last eight years."
Wow! Well said, except did he get it that the people of Massachusetts are angry at Obama?

jwellsy wrote:
The man-child still just doesn't get it.
Quote:
President Obama on Wednesday said the reason his health-care reform is on life support because Congress took too long to debating it and he didn’t talk enough to citizens about its benefits for them.
Just can't believe that he can't get it, as even the 60 votes had to be massaged and manipulated with deals and wheels within wheels to get it passed by Senate. For someone who undertook to simplify things, I have never seen anything as complicated and voluminous as this Bill. Of the cross eye variety! How people are able to read the thousands of pages of legal print has to boggle the mind.


jwellsy wrote:
He honestly feels he didn't give enough speeches.
Both arrogant as well as dense at the same time. Arrogant to think that his speeches are really that great, and dense to not realize that possibly if he gave less speeches, people may pay more attention to them.
Alaskacameradude
Quote:
"Here's my assessment of not just the vote in Massachusetts but the mood around the country: The same thing that swept Scott Brown into office swept me into office," the president said in an exclusive interview with ABC News's George Stephanopoulos."People are angry and they are frustrated. Not just because of what's happened in the last year or two years but what's happened over the last EIGHT YEARS."


Wow, I have to say it.....just WOW! Ya, lets blame this one on Bush too right? If the Dems keep
this attitude, I am telling you, it will be a BLOODBATH for them come November. They had
the presidency, both houses of Congress, INCLUDING a filibuster proof majority in the senate,
FAR more power then the Republicans EVER had with Bush......and yet they are going to keep
trying to subtly cast this on Bush? Voters are sick and tired of hearing this, and they want the
Dems to FIX the economy, STOP spending money we don't have, and scale back healthcare!
If you are middle class or lower (the very people the Dems claim to represent) and
you see that the current healthcare bill will force you to buy insurance which would cost
a family of 4 making 66 thousand a year...TEN PERCENT of your yearly income.....you are NOT
going to support that!......especially in todays economy.

Some free advice for the Dems......if you want to actually stay in power, you need to QUIT
playing the blame game. Sack up and DO something about the economy and the out of
control spending our government is doing. Then you will attract some of the independent
voters back to you, .....the very ones who are deserting you in droves right now.
deanhills
Alaskacameradude wrote:
They had
the presidency, both houses of Congress, INCLUDING a filibuster proof majority in the senate,
FAR more power then the Republicans EVER had with Bush......and yet they are going to keep
trying to subtly cast this on Bush? Voters are sick and tired of hearing this, and they want the
Dems to FIX the economy, STOP spending money we don't have, and scale back healthcare!
If you are middle class or lower (the very people the Dems claim to represent) and
you see that the current healthcare bill will force you to buy insurance which would cost
a family of 4 making 66 thousand a year...TEN PERCENT of your yearly income.....you are NOT
going to support that!......especially in todays economy.

Some free advice for the Dems......if you want to actually stay in power, you need to QUIT
playing the blame game. Sack up and DO something about the economy and the out of
control spending our government is doing. Then you will attract some of the independent
voters back to you, .....the very ones who are deserting you in droves right now.
Well said. But then thinking about it, do you think they are capable of moving away from the blame game, as I notice that their problem is not only blaming Bush and Republicans, but blaming one another. When Obama started his Presidency, they had somehow had a fragile peace among the many factions, especially the lefties in the Democratic Party. But after Massachusetts, the Democrats seem to have turned on one another. Obama seems to have been sitting on a power keg of a kind. Ahhhhh .... this is great fun! Going to be an awesome year of politics. Dancing
Related topics
Could Democrats loose Obama's former Senate seat?
The policies of: Rick Santorum
Is the Tea Party a Political Party?
More Voting Irregularities
Destiny - " Trouble with the rat race..."
Lib Dems need to 'draw together' (UK)
Foriegners, permenant residents, immigration, etc.
Things only a Republican could believe
Illinois, new Massachusetts setback for Obama?
Congress passes financial reform + consumer protection
Reflections on the US by a citizen
Aging
Programming Help & Support Guidelines
Senate Judiciary Committee: Rober's Nomination, what a joke
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Lifestyle and News -> Politics

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.