FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What makes you be a Video Gamer?

Ryox
Well the subject says it all.

What makes you become a Video Gamer?
carlospro7
If you play games, you are probably a gamer.

There is a Wikipedia article on this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_gamer
missdixy
I have to agree. But, I think that you are a gamer if you play games at least on a sort of consistent basis instead of just being a "casual" type of gamer. Also, I think that it probably also excludes people who say, only play games like Bejeweled or Tetris on their phone, even if they do it a lot.
weableandbob
If you play games fairly regularly, and they aren't just the party type games/childish ones, then I'd say you're a gamer.
Peterssidan
missdixy wrote:
Also, I think that it probably also excludes people who say, only play games like Bejeweled or Tetris on their phone, even if they do it a lot.

Is Tetris less game than any other game? Video Gamer must be people who play video games.
Nameless
missdixy wrote:
... it probably also excludes people who say, only play games like Bejeweled or Tetris on their phone ...

weableandbob wrote:
... and they aren't just the party type games/childish ones, ...

Okay, this sentiment annoys me. I don't even play 'casual' / party games that often* but they a) definitely fall into the category of video games and b), let's be honest guys, aren't any more or less of a waste of time than that grind-heavy MMORPG you're so proud of yourself for playing. This whole elitism thing within video games is pretty laughable when you think about how fantastically meaningless those "skills" are. The extent to which you are a gamer should be determined singularly by how much of your free time you spend playing video games. This is not rocket science. Rocket science would be useful.

*And good luck defining "childish" because there are no shortage of games with bright, shiny, friendly aesthetics that have far more depth to them than Cookie Cutter FPS (tm). I also challenge anyone to play ANY competitive game online for more than five minutes and not run into someone acting childishly ...

Bonus Quiz! How many of the following games you have won without cheating: Linley's Dungeon Crawl, ADOM, Angband, or any variants thereof? If the answer is 0, then you're not a REAL gamer. Razz
poopooface
In my opinion, it's someone who plays games regularly, such as maybe, a few times a week. If someone plays it just once or twice in a situation where they are extremely bored and does not get addicted to the game, I wouldn't think of them as a video gamer.
Flakky
You are a gamer if you feel the urge to get to your computer and play a game. Sitting in the bus and the only way to entertain yourself is to play Snake then you probably are not a gamer but if you dream about sitting in the bus to play games or you take the bus just to play the game then you are a gamer Razz
jigoku05
Um... I think people here have comprehension problems. The TS asks why DID you become a gamer. Let me rephrase, What made you start playing games.
Nameless
jigoku05 wrote:
Um... I think people here have comprehension problems. The TS asks why DID you become a gamer. Let me rephrase, What made you start playing games.

Hmm. I agree that the question is slightly ambiguous; it could be interpreted to refer to either you specifically or video gamers in general. However, there's definitely no use of the word 'did' and the tense seems to be present ("What makes you ...", not "What made you"). Thus, I doubt the original intention was to question a specific past event as you suggestion.

[/linguistics!]
Djfatalm
umm, everything, more objectives to complete, the more i wanna play it, the more strategy to mess with, the better, i hate games i can beat in 4-8 hours...
amperx
you are a gamer as long as your playing any game, and giving effort to enjoy it Very Happy
spinout
i saw a good explanation about this in a tv-show - people want to experience them-selfs, therefore can a videogame be that solution in a way.
Also they talked about God in this show and the explanation was the same.