FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Question about Sub-Domain

GoldenBabbler
I read through the FAQ and some online articles concerning this issue. I read again and again that many free website's that use free hosting will be ignored by search engines and that unless you have a domain name a free website will not get spidered by a search engine.

Is this true? Does this apply to Frihost? And if so is there a way to get my Frihost website known to search engines?

Thank you for your time and assistance in answering this question.

EDIT

-I applied for my sub-domain today and I have two questions. How long does it take to get accepted

-When I was choosing my sub-domain I found the name I wanted, but I was not thrilled with the actual endings of the domain. Only one server was open, Server 4, and it's sub-domain was frihost.org, the other ones were frih.net. Are you ever going to offer a .com? Or even a frih.net, which was my first choice, unless a .com is offered?

Bondings
No this is not true. Google will index your website, regardless of this being free hosting. Registering and using a domain name is certainly a good thing to do for a website, but our subdomain will do fine too.

To get your website known, create a sitemap of all your pages and submit it to Google. You should also get links to your website from other websites.
GoldenBabbler
Bondings wrote:
No this is not true. Google will index your website, regardless of this being free hosting. Registering and using a domain name is certainly a good thing to do for a website, but our subdomain will do fine too.

To get your website known, create a sitemap of all your pages and submit it to Google. You should also get links to your website from other websites.

How do you create a sitemap?
Bondings
GoldenBabbler wrote:
Bondings wrote:

How do you create a sitemap?

Either manually or use some software to generate the xml sitemap file.

http://www.sitemaps.org/
http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=156184

If you are interested in other subdomains, maybe take a look at http://freedns.afraid.org/ . They offer subdomains and you can point them to our server and add them to your DirectAdmin account.

Otherwise you could either buy a domain or try to win one in our upcoming competitions. We might also be offering domains for posting in the future too.