FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Good Rock/Metal songs?

speeDemon
Well, I'm a guitarist, and I've learnt it the hard way that if I have to play in my school, then I'll have to learn loads of riffs and guitar pieces... But i dont really know where to start....

I've got around 10 songs of each MetallicA, Iron Maiden, Greenday, Nirvana...
Could anyone recommend anything else..?
I would really appreciate it!

I am able to figure out the riffs on my own, I just need some new (or old) great rock songs to work with....
liljp617
Could learn some Ozzy material -- no harm in learning some Randy Rhoads or Jake E. Lee.

Megadeth is another -- Mustaine and Friedman (and now Broderick) are definitely worthy of learning.

If you want to learn some cool metal riffs and rhythm, Slayer is a great place to get that (although I don't think you'll learn any solo material there to be honest).

Alice In Chains has some good rock rhythm/riffs -- Cantrell has a unique style and if you can take some of his playing away from practice that's great.

Almost any Black Sabbath song is worthy of learning and practicing. Iommi is one of the best rhythm players in my opinion and he has a lot of good lead work as well.

For more lead material, Satriani, Vai, and Petrucci are good candidates, although they're well above the abilities of most beginner/intermediate players. It might be a good idea to pick riffs here and there from their music to practice string skipping, legato, etc.

Maiden also fits into this group of lead material. If you're looking to practice legato, quick runs, etc. they have some great material and usually it isn't that difficult compared to Satriani and the like. I don't think you'll get too many rhythm practice from Maiden though, as their rhythm is usually pretty beginner-ish, tempo is the same in most of their songs, and they use the same basic power chords in a ton of their songs.

Could look into Pantera if you're looking for some heavier stuff.

Guns N' Roses if you want good rock songs.

If you want some specific songs, let me know and I'll see what I can come up with.
speeDemon
liljp617 wrote:
Could learn some Ozzy material -- no harm in learning some Randy Rhoads or Jake E. Lee.

Megadeth is another -- Mustaine and Friedman (and now Broderick) are definitely worthy of learning.

If you want to learn some cool metal riffs and rhythm, Slayer is a great place to get that (although I don't think you'll learn any solo material there to be honest).

Alice In Chains has some good rock rhythm/riffs -- Cantrell has a unique style and if you can take some of his playing away from practice that's great.

Almost any Black Sabbath song is worthy of learning and practicing. Iommi is one of the best rhythm players in my opinion and he has a lot of good lead work as well.

For more lead material, Satriani, Vai, and Petrucci are good candidates, although they're well above the abilities of most beginner/intermediate players. It might be a good idea to pick riffs here and there from their music to practice string skipping, legato, etc.

Maiden also fits into this group of lead material. If you're looking to practice legato, quick runs, etc. they have some great material and usually it isn't that difficult compared to Satriani and the like. I don't think you'll get too many rhythm practice from Maiden though, as their rhythm is usually pretty beginner-ish, tempo is the same in most of their songs, and they use the same basic power chords in a ton of their songs.

Could look into Pantera if you're looking for some heavier stuff.

Guns N' Roses if you want good rock songs.

If you want some specific songs, let me know and I'll see what I can come up with.
Wow lets get working!! could you give me some specific songs of all the names you just mentioned?
liljp617
Ozzy

Crazy Train (obviously)
Lightning Strikes
Mr. Crowley
Bark At The Moon
Diary Of A Madman
Mama I'm Comin Home
No More Tears
Road To Nowhere

Megadeth

The Killing Road
Tornado of Souls
Holy Wars
Train of Consequences
Hangar 18
Endgame
The Right To Go Insane

*I'm sure somebody else can give more. I don't listen to Megadeth a ton.*

Alice In Chains

Grind
Man In The Box
Rooster
Bleed The Freak
Angry Chair
Shame In You

Black Sabbath

I
Children of the Sea
Holy Diver
Shadow of the Wind
Heaven and Hell
War Pigs

Iron Maiden

Dream of Mirrors
2 AM
Wasting Love
Blood Brothers
Brave New World
Fear Of The Dark
Montsegur
The Longest Day

Pantera

Cemetery Gates
Hollow
Floods
Cowboys From Hell
The Sleep
The Art of Shredding
This Love
Rise
Medicine Man
Message In Blood
Heresy
Walk

Slayer

South of Heaven
Dead Skin Mask
Face The Slayer
Raining Blood

*Again, I don't listen to Slayer a whole lot so I'm sure there's others worth mentioning.*

Guns N' Roses

Knockin On Heaven's Door
Estranged
November Rain
Sweet Child Of Mine
Civil War
Don't Cry
Paradise City

*Unless you're an experienced player (ie mastered string skipping at all angles, sweep picking, clean picking at high speeds, etc.), I wouldn't waste too much time on the next few guys.*

Joe Satriani

Surfing With The Alien
Always With You, Always With me
The Extremist
Made Of Tears
If I Could Fly
Flying In A Blue Dream

Steve Vai

Tender Surrender
Bad Horsie (drop C tuning)
For The Love of God
Whispering A Prayer
Die To Live
Building The Church
Lotus Feet
Get The Hell Out Of Here

John Petrucci

Tunnel Vision
Glasgow Kiss
Jaws of Life
Damage Control
Also look into some Dream Theater stuff; I don't listen to Dream Theater so I can't give specific suggestions, but Petrucci is their lead guitarist and I know he does great work there.
speeDemon
hmmm.. looks like i'll just go with the starting ones first.. btw, for how many years have you been playing/hearing metal/rock songs?

Do you learn one whole song at once, or just randomly learn riffs/solos of different songs?
liljp617
speeDemon wrote:
hmmm.. looks like i'll just go with the starting ones first.. btw, for how many years have you been playing/hearing metal/rock songs?

Do you learn one whole song at once, or just randomly learn riffs/solos of different songs?

I've been playing for around 3 1/2 to 4 years now. Been listening forever Smile

Up until about two years ago, I would learn bits and pieces of songs, because I couldn't really play solos too well. Stuff like Metallica and Maiden solos were pretty out of reach for me so I usually just learned the rhythm and bridge parts. As I progressed and did more exercises (string skipping, legato, worked on my picking, etc.) I just kind of naturally fell into the ability to play a lot of the solos. Probably at or around the three year mark, I started learning songs in their entirety.

As of now, I don't really learn many songs of other people. I've tried to get away from that, because I felt it was influencing my own material too much and I wanted to experiment to find my own style of playing.
speeDemon
well, looks like i'm going to go for the bits n pieces for now!
Afaceinthematrix
liljp617 wrote:

Megadeth

The Killing Road
Tornado of Souls
Holy Wars
Train of Consequences
Hangar 18
Endgame
The Right To Go Insane

*I'm sure somebody else can give more. I don't listen to Megadeth a ton.*

Depending on his/her level, some of those solos may be way too difficult to play. Unless you're just learning riffs... I would definitely add Mechanix because of the speed of that song... If you can play fast, you can play slow. Then, of course, I would add Peace Sells (or anything off of Peace Sells... But Who's Buying) simply because it's an incredible song off of an incredible album.

Quote:
Slayer

South of Heaven
Dead Skin Mask
Face The Slayer
Raining Blood

South of Heaven is definitely a good one because it's not too fast. Slayer songs are extremely difficult to play sometimes because of how fast they play... Slayer is a pretty fast thrash band... I would suggest Mandatory Suicide, Disciple, Angel of Death, and World Painted Blood... Those are probably ones that are more in the reach of learning...

If you're looking to learn leads, then I would check out Children of Bodom. There are some excellent leads in that band... Ensiferum would be another good start... One band that also has some good riffs to try and learn is Amon Amarth...

One bad thing about Bodom, Ensiferum, and Amon Amarth is that it may be difficult to find sheet music for them. So unless you are good at playing by ear (I'm unfortunately terrible at that - I tend to go to music stores and just buy sheet music for songs I want to play)... Maybe I'm wrong... I wouldn't know. I've never tried to find guitar tabs for these bands because I don't play the guitar (I play bass, trumpet, trombone, baritone, piano... basically every instrument but guitar)... But I'm guessing that it may be hard to find some of the sheet music... Other bands like Metallica and Sabbath are easy. I tend to see their sheet music being sold at all sorts of various music stores...
speeDemon
truly, I've been playing for 3 years, but no rock songs... it just seems like I've wasted time actually.. I dont really read musical notations, just the good old tabs in the form
1----3-----
2------6----
3-----------
4-----------
5-----------
6-----------

and so on...

I started playing rock songs from last year I guess, but not thrash or metal..
I was just stuck at the good old simple stuff.. but now i'm ready to take on the solos and fast progressions..

I just wish I start playing some good songs before september, because at that time of the year, we have some celebrations in our school, which includes the performance of a rock band... which basically consists of school students...(it's not really a 'band'),..

Well, lets see...

edit: I just heard south of heaven.. and quite frankly i am looking for stuff faster than that...(not that it would be easy to play though!)
agustin
Metallica!
gverutes
Metallica 1980s - early 1990's = great
post mid-1990s = terrible
ganjour
The most live and professional group it is of cause Led Zeppelin, many records at them are good and to allocate that or it is difficult. For example Stairway To Heaven, When The Levee Breaks, Gallows Pole, Since I've Been Loving You
TVme
I have been a fan of Rock for thirty-five years and all of the suggestions are great. But how about one of the first great "metal" songs ever written? It's wonderful that you young musicians are exchanging ideas about great rock and roll. Check this classic out.

standready
I am really old school rock. Try some Deep Purple, Ted Nugent, early REO Speedwagon, Alvin Bishop
menino
I like playing some of Nirvana songs. They are classic grunge rock.

Metallica is also good.

Led Zeppelin as well.

For alternative, Green day is good to play.
engammalsko
i've just learned destruction - total desaster and exodus - a lesson in violence Smile
it contains just some power chords and tremelo picking Very Happy pretty easy Smile
tingkagol
Been listening to these bands lately: (check out any of their songs- doesn't matter really)

Animals As Leaders
Chimp Spanner
Periphery (the instrumental version of their album only. vocals are too emo for my tastes.)
Meshuggah