FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Need help picking a Linux distro for my Laptop

[FuN]goku
Okay, So I've just gotten my laptop back from dell, all repaired (yet again hehe... 4th harddrive replacement >.< ). And, this time around I get the feeling like I won't be gaming much on my laptop, simply due to system requirements (maybe world of warcraft here and there but probly nothing else), which I'll post shortly. So I figure, what the hell, I might as well install linux on it, and have a Windows virtual machine for my visual studio work (FYI: I hate mono , and would pick VS over it any day Razz )

Right now my laptop's specs are as follows,

Dell Inspiron 1501

AMD Sempron 3500+ , 1.8ghz
ATI Radeon 1150x , (either 128 or 256 meg, I forget)
1.5 gb of ram
80 gig hdd.

So..... I'm trying to decide which distro to use, and whether theres any advantages over the other.

I've narrowed it down to 3 distros, 1 of which I've used extensively (debian), and the other two are, Slackware and Archlinux.

I'm just wondering if someone could give me the pro's and cons on each. I've tried all 3 at one point, but the only one I've used for more than a month was debian.

I was highly considering Archlinux, mostly because i had a friend who was a fanatic about debian, and then he switched over to archlinux and said he loved it more than he did debian.

Like my friend i mentioned above, he loves minimalist type stuff (as do i in alot of cases), so that would also be a factor to consider when selecting one of these distros too...

But anyways, I wanna hear everyone's opinion, on the pros/cons over these three distros.

My main usage for linux, would be Media/Programming, If that helps narrow it down any.

Thanks.
metalfreek
Ububtu is what I like most as a general user. Since you have mentioned about programming, I would recommend Gentoo for you.
[FuN]goku
metalfreek wrote:
Ububtu is what I like most as a general user. Since you have mentioned about programming, I would recommend Gentoo for you.
Hehe, Ubuntu is alright for a lot of people, but in all honesty, It's not my cup of tea. As I said, I like minimalist, as in starting from the bare minimium OS and building from there.

With Ubuntu it comes with all my drivers and stuff installed..... And ... well... It takes all the fun out of it Razz

I've tried gentoo once, and honestly... I didn't really like it.. especially the package manager.. I found it rather slow... Maybe it's improved since then.... I don't know.

I guess I should maybe rephrase what I said in my above post.

Out of Slackware, Archlinux , and Debian, which would be better for media/graphic design/programming? Or ... Would there even be that much difference between them at all?
Peterssidan
I have Arch Linux on my laptop and I'm satisfied. Arch Linux takes some more time to set up than Ubuntu. But you will learn a lot more. I also like the package manager pacman. It's easy to use. The packages are much more up to date than Ubuntu.

PS: I only use Arch Linux and Ubuntu at home so that's why I comparing them.
albuferque
Ubuntu Linux supports pretty much every piece of hardware out there. Yes, there are some items, especially graphic cards and chipsets, for which you may need to download a driver to get the most out of your graphics.

Ubuntu has Evolution, the best e-mail and groupware client on the planet as far as I'm concerned. Need to back up your system? any Linux distro can do that, but only Ubuntu has its own online back-up service, Ubuntu One, with 2GB of storage.

With Launchpad's Personal Package Archives (PPA), you can build and publish binary Ubuntu packages for multiple architectures simply by uploading an Ubuntu source package to Launchpad.

Packages in Ubuntu may not be the latest. Ubuntu aims for stability, "latest" may not be a good idea. Post-release updates are only considered if they are: fixes for security vulnerabilities, high impact bug fixes, or unintrusive bug fixes with substantial benefit. Anyway you can use backports if you need "latest" packages.

You may just fine that Ubuntu will do everything you want to do on a computer with a lot less trouble than with any distro.
Hogwarts
albuferque wrote:
Ubuntu Linux ...

You are aware he implicitly asked people to stop suggesting Ubuntu? Sad

I'd, personally, say Debian. You can go from an incredibly minimalistic system to whatever you please with it (I'm presently running it with Xfce4; although you can go much more minimalistic, still); and I am able to manage all my coding/graphics/media needs on it.

Realistically, however, each distribution of Linux will have almost the same prowess when it comes to coding, graphic design and programming. That's like comparing Windows 7 and Windows XP for coding: it comes, more or less, down to what program you're using, not the flavor of OS you're using.
[FuN]goku
Hogwarts wrote:
albuferque wrote:
Ubuntu Linux ...

You are aware he implicitly asked people to stop suggesting Ubuntu? Sad

THANK YOU! Very Happy

I'm sorry, but Ubuntu is NOT for me. Yes, it's based off of debian... Yes it comes with drivers... Yes it comes with almost everything working out of the box....

But, for me, I like building my distro from the bottom up. The same is true with my Coding practices. I hate using other people's libraries for things, I always just code my own. Gives a better learning experience, and I'm that much wiser in the end, and when all is said and done, you feel a sense of accomplishment.

Hogwarts wrote:

I'd, personally, say Debian. You can go from an incredibly minimalistic system to whatever you please with it (I'm presently running it with Xfce4; although you can go much more minimalistic, still); and I am able to manage all my coding/graphics/media needs on it.

Yeah, Debian + XFCE is what I had the last time I had a linux distro and I loved every bit of it! It's been a while since I've actually used it though Sad ran it on my laptop all that summer and went without windows, then finally caved and went back to XP.

But, I think I'll probably end up picking Debian or Archlinux.. Slackware is pretty much out of the picture now, lol. ArchLinux might be my primary choice. I'm curious as to what it has to offer, and why alot of people seem to like it as much as debian. If it turns out I don't like it... I can always switch back to Debian Razz

albuferque wrote:

You may just fine that Ubuntu will do everything you want to do on a computer with a lot less trouble than with any distro.

I'm sure it can do everything that I want, Wink but it also comes with alot of stuff I don't really need or want. And the bottom line is, I'm willing to go through the extra trouble just to have a less-bloated OS, as I have done before with debian on several occasions.. Finding out how to install the graphics drivers and wireless drivers the first time was a pain in the ass and took me 2 hours, but the next couple times, it took me less than 15 minutes. So honestly, it's not all that much extra trouble.

Anyways, Thanks for the input everyone! (Even if you did mention Ubuntu Wink )
Fire Boar
Well, I'd second the recommendation for Ubu*COUGH* Debian, personally. I've built several minimalistic systems with Debian and it just works great, though if you'd rather go the hard way maybe it's not for you.

Some pros: Apt is a very good package manager, and you don't get much more stable than Debian in the Linux world. On the other hand, there's a fine line between "stable" and "outdated", and in some cases Debian crosses that line.
Hogwarts
Fire Boar wrote:
Some pros: Apt is a very good package manager, and you don't get much more stable than Debian in the Linux world. On the other hand, there's a fine line between "stable" and "outdated", and in some cases Debian crosses that line.

If you're using lenny, that's probably the case. However, have you considered squeeze/sid?
Fire Boar
Hogwarts wrote:
Fire Boar wrote:

If you're using lenny, that's probably the case. However, have you considered squeeze/sid?

That's true, Debian Squeeze would probably be a better choice. I wouldn't go with Sid personally - bleeding edge is all very well until it crashes. And the "unstable" tag is pretty off-putting. Though knowing Debian "unstable" is probably everyone else's idea of "stable".
sined
I think that Debian Lenny (Stable) + FluxBox or LXDE will be the best choice. In my old computer (p4 2ghz+1GB DDR1) I installed Debian Lenny and LXDE Enviroment, and results are very good-it takes only ~64MB RAM and run very fast. And it is still full debian with unlimited possibilities.