FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Administrator status

Tony The Tiger
I have software that requires administrator privileges to install. How do I determine if my user profile has administrator privileges in Windows Vista?
Marcuzzo
Tony The Tiger wrote:
I have software that requires administrator privileges to install. How do I determine if my user profile has administrator privileges in Windows Vista?

well, when you try to install the application, does it tell you that you need admin rights?
normally you should be able to see this in the user account section of the control panel.
AftershockVibe
In Vista you shouldn't be running with admin rights by default. What happens with most installers is that it will pop-up with a UAC prompt and ask you to confirm elevated permissions (like this).

For some badly packaged installers, this may not happen. In this case you can right-click and select "run with elevated permissions" to get the job done. Obviously, only do this with software you can trust.
Tony The Tiger
AftershockVibe wrote:
In Vista you shouldn't be running with admin rights by default. What happens with most installers is that it will pop-up with a UAC prompt and ask you to confirm elevated permissions (like this).

I have reformatted my hard drive. I formerly got that warning regularly. Now, I seem to be running as an administrator. I think I reinstalled differently than usual. Instead of just having an unsecured general user ID, I now have to use a password to open up Windows. I don't recall seeing many UAC prompts lately as I have installed software.