FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

how do you find new music...

smit_alumni
this is a common thing i have noticed among the music lovers the lack of the new music released by various artists. you should try looking up the billboard.com
catscratches
last.fm, various music blogs and music forums is all you need.
Jamestf347
Usually i find music by listening to the radio, but even that's very rare. I Also look on youtube for hit music, or parodies ect. I also get told about songs from friends qh who are like "check this song ... blah blah blah out" Razz. Music is everywhere it's not hard to find.
kutekitten
I tend to ask friends for music, or listen to the radio, or check out music blogs. However, I usually stick to a couple of artists and just buy their cds when they come out... it's really not much of an art, music surrounds us everyday ...
Denvis
I listen to the radio but they don't always give the name of the song. I check out the net sometimes mainstream countdowns like AT40 or google search "new songs" Laughing or just ask friends. haha
Helios
Used to use last.fm, but they are pay-to-listen now.
I really rely on other people and communities more nowadays. I'm listening to certain styles of music which have whole communities based on them, so it's not a problem to find new stuff to listen to. Still I'd sure be glad if last.fm returns to be free. Do you know similar "radio" sites with the variety last.fm has?
joostvane
I just browse on youtube a lot and it offers loads of great songs. I also listen to the radio sometimes and concerts/festivals brings me new songs.
Denvis
joostvane wrote:
I just browse on youtube a lot and it offers loads of great songs. I also listen to the radio sometimes and concerts/festivals brings me new songs.

Yeah youtube's a great site to find new songs. However sometimes even though you may have found a nice song it's hard to find a place where you can download it. Whenever that happens I hop on www.listentoyoutube.com It converts the mpg4 file into an mp3 so you can download it straight up without converting it yourself. Then again you could always just use a recorder.
bloodrider
listening to the radio and youtube =P
gverutes
Billboard charts are biased in my opinion by the record labels who pay radio stations to play their artists songs. Most music on the Top 40 is studio crap that was created not by talented artists, but by talented writers, producers and engineers.
desonium
I am talking about music with different people on school and when they say they have a good song I am always listening and sometimes it is very good music. Then I search youtube for other numbers of the artist and that is how I learn new music.
l4nd3r05
Used to use last.fm, but they are pay-to-listen now.
I really rely on other people and communities more nowadays. I'm listening to certain styles of music which have whole communities based on them, so it's not a problem to find new stuff to listen to. Still I'd sure be glad if last.fm returns to be free. Do you know similar "radio" sites with the variety last.fm has?Used to use last.fm, but they are pay-to-listen now.
I really rely on other people and communities more nowadays. I'm listening to certain styles of music which have whole communities based on them, so it's not a problem to find new stuff to listen to. Still I'd sure be glad if last.fm returns to be free. Do you know similar "radio" sites with the variety last.fm has?
standready
I enjoy going out in search of new bands playing clubs, fairs, etc. Met Kiss, REO Speedwagon and several others long before they got "famous". Still friends with a few. Seen a lot of great bands that never made it big but should have. If you get a chance to see an "unknown" and they have a CD available - BUY IT! You will be helping them and you will have some great music in your collection plus, one day, you just might be able to pull out the CD to show your friends "I knew them when". Now, where is that demo tape of Foghat?
todabeat
i listen to the radio, also, if you search the genre in wiki, it gives you examples of artist i have never heard of....
Nameless
Radio. It's uncreative, but it works! If you miss the name of the artist and song you can always google a line of their lyrics and find it easily enough. Smile
silverdown
I search on youtube , many great amature singers on there... I also listen to artists on there as well.
Nameless
silverdown wrote:
I search on youtube , many great amature singers on there...

That's like saying there are many great monocles in a pile of broken glass; technically true, but not inherently helpful.
pentangeli
I have a natural (and probably anti-social) mistrust of "new music". I'm the guy asking "how do you find old music" because old b-sides and bootlegs and unreleased rarities from back in the days of my favorite bands and musicians are what I spend the most time seeking out. Fortunately, the internet is great for that. I mean this is stuff you cannot buy in the stores. Certainly not stuff you could hear on the radio. So that's always a real treat to uncover some piece of dusty hidden history. Kinda like Indiana Jones dusting off the Lost Ark or something. My mistrust of new music is not really any kind of preference. There's one or two new bands or songs that I tend to like and go in search of, but mainly that's not the case. Mainly most popular music (I realize I probably sound like a grumpy old man or my dad or something) is just a lot of hot garbage with no talent, skill or musicality involved nowadays. It seems that if you look interesting or "crazy" you can have a hit record. Image is everything and in order to to be successful, you must adhere to the uniform of said genre and not chance a pinky-toe out of that stereotype. R&B is a prime example. As is Hip Hop lately. Rock n Roll has become a whiny emo-fest and Pop music in general is just as banal, mediocre and uninspirational as it's always been. So I tend not to seek out new music. More old music from people who play from their hearts. If I like a new piece of music, I'll check for it. Not like typing the name of the artist, song title and "rar" after it in google or anything questionable like that. I'll go to amazon.com and buy the full album for that one song I like, just like everyone else does! Rolling Eyes

Seriously, though. It's all gotten so disposable. I unzip a rapidshare and blast through a few tracks and dump it straight in the trash can. Gone are the days of the physical music item (vinyl/cd/cassette) and reading the album sleeve lyrics and looking at the artwork on the bus journey home, excited as hell to hear it, and then after first listen "I'll grow on me" and sure enough, you'd listen to it for like 6 months straight after that, growing it on yourself. You'd end up loving it. Awesome times as a music fan. Never get those back, again. Woe is I. But still, if they were making those classic great albums still, they'd have more to grumble about. I still buy albums that warrant my payout. I believe in that. The artist deserves it and I deserve to own that authentic release in my collection. Enough ranting about piracy, if you make great music, we'll search for your great music (whether new or otherwise) on the shelves in record stores like we used to. If you make watered down crap like I've been forced to put up with the last decade or more, it's rapidshare then drag to trash! Nothing to complain about there, artists.
[FuN]goku
For me, I'll end up watching something on youtube, maybe a video of someone playing World of Warcraft for example, they'll have music in the background, and I end up looking up what the song was. Or, a friend will send me something they want me to listen to in IRC or something.
jds10912
i find the radio to be garbage a lot of the time. no matter what genre you like, you can find music outside of the radio without having to listen to a song so many times that you develop a liking to it just because it's so darn familiar

great tools for finding music online:
>Last.fm
>Pandora
>stuff like OiNK

but there's also things, you know, outside of the internet. things like going to shows and hearing new bands for the first time live. buying sampler cd's and compilations and listening to a song by a band that you've never even heard of until it's stuck in your head. music recommendations from friends and other people with similar taste. there are also music news websites about genres that i like that generally have good taste in up and coming bands.

so there are a lot of great ways to discover new music, and you don't even have to listen to the radio
peter222
last.fm
tingkagol
I use last.fm to find new music to some extent. Grooveshark is also kind of cool when it comes to playing tracks, though it doesn't recommend any similar artists (to the extent of my knowledge). But I usually do my searching in music forums.
menino
I usually listen to new music from Music channels like Vh1 and Mtv, or otherwise the radio.
Radar
Listen to music from various family members, ask about interesting songs that friends are playing, etc.
Alerrandre
Listening radios,and seeking in google.
gverutes
what is the best podcast for new music with variety?
soljarag
pandora is pretty good... if you tell it what you like... it will slip in some random tracks that you can then "bookmark" I have about 40 songs that i have bookedmarked that i had not heard of before pandora
Flakky
It often comes to me, my friends tell me or I find a new artist I really like and I start digging on Youtube Smile
recked
preferably I use itunes because of the option to actually listen to a sample. Also, if you use genius, it will try to find songs that are similar to those of your liking. Another way I find music is by listening to the local radio or pandora.
TMN11
I like listening to online radio stations. You get a better selection of whats really out there. Not by the corporate main stream media that actually buys their playlists from one company(why sometimes you can switch stations on your radio and hear the very same song being played)

There are a lot of up and coming bands that you simply do not hear on regular radio since they are not put into rotation. Even some unsigned bands are coming out with some really good songs.
weableandbob
I generally us Last.fm and Pandora to find new stuff that I'll like. Other times, I'll just browse sites like Newgrounds and OC Remix and see if anything interests me.
Radar
Friends playing different tracks. Anywhere that I hear music played really.
william
Well, normally I find music by listening to the radio. If they don't mention the name of the song, I either go online to search for it by the lyrics or by visiting the station's website. Then, when I find the name of the song, I usually go over to Youtube and type in the artist's name and see whatever the most popular songs are. And that's about it. If I like the music, I'll look up the album as well.

It's really: Radio to Google or Station Site (to find the name) to Youtube (to listen and find more) to Wikipedia (to look up related songs) back to Youtube (to listen to more).

Note, very little of the music I listen to is from the last 10 years. The radio stations I listen to focus on classic rock. Because frankly, nothing I hear today is something I would call music. There is no talent out there anymore, or at least well known. I say very little music I listen to is from the last 10 years because there are some groups out there that still output quality content, but they have no fame. Two right off the bat as Kasabian and E.S. Posthumus.

But really, I really wish I could follow music with excitement and eagerness, but there's just nothing to follow anymore. All I do is go through all of the music from the good old days. Luckily, there's still a lot I haven't listened to.

Oh, and I just read pentangeli's post. Everything he says is true.
rocking
I just switching from one to another page in myspace, facebook or youtube until I find something that insterests me.
Also I go to a lot of gigs, sometimes I don't know one of more of the bands, and in that why I cand find about new interesting bands.
toasterintheoven
radio is great for finding new music, I never forget this
wellerchap
I was lucky enough to sign up for a free Spotify account when it first floated on the internet, so if anyone recommends a new artist, or I catch a good song on the radio, I go on there & follow up their stuff.....I've opened my eyes to loads of great music with spotify, though I'm really glad I got a free account!
watersoul
I mostly trawl myspace & soundcloud for 'new' music, there's a whole world of unknown exciting artists out there waiting to be found.
toasterintheoven
amazon and pandora are my two most trusted sources for finding new and reliable music
ralf
last.fm and youtube.com
Dragunov
watching MTV Smile than find it on Youtube
jfussion
radio and MTV..here at Philippines has myx channel also like mtv..
captainsuperdude
I type things like "va" and "compilation" and "instrumental" into search engines, then comb through like the first 20 pages of results.

You can get even more random about it, a lot of times when I'm reading books or magazines I try to ask myself what words would bring in the most interesting responses if typed into search engine?

Words like "entail", "somber", "deluge" etc, etc, all help along the path to decided which albums I actually end up purchasing in the grand scheme.
emanuel2
In the most cased I just randomly find new music, without directly searching for it. When I really try to look for new stuff, e.g, when I am bored of the old one, I look in charts with music genres I would like at the moment. Sometimes I look into youtube to find similar music to a specific title.
Also very nice in this regard is grooveshark (listen.grooveshark.com/), as was already mentioned.
Ankhanu
smit_alumni wrote:
this is a common thing i have noticed among the music lovers the lack of the new music released by various artists. you should try looking up the billboard.com

Billboard would offer me VERY little of interest. So little that it would be an utter waste of my time to go Razz

Most of what I find comes by word of mouth. Outside of that, I find recommendations based on some of the bands that people like on various music forums I use, facebook, twitter and the "similar artists" feature on what.cd. I've gotten a few through listening to public radio as well.
Radar
New music tends to find me, rather than the other way around.

Anything that sounds good that I hear other people playing, or that I come across. If I like it enough, I'll end up buying it.
justinau
from youtube or even facebook
drunkenkoz
I find new music to listen to by visiting nearby music stores or listening to the radio or browsing youtube.
chartcentral
I find new music by listening to the radio, watching our local music video channel and browsing music charts online as well as blogs and other web resources. Smile
cybersa
To find new song,These two website will help me to find.
www.top10songs.com
and
http://www.apple.com/euro/itunes/charts/top10songs.html
motomoto
usually i visit yahoo music and community music like purevolume, artistserver. sometimes visit youtube Laughing
rogue_skydragon
I truly despise listening to the radio, and so I try looking elsewhere for new, good music. Typically forums and YouTube independent music videos do the trick.
robertoilidio
hey guys, could you list some good online radio stations??
robertoilidio
and, why not,could you list some good new songs that you've heard recently??
rocking
I just check all the accounts of Israeli bands (more then 1,000) in bandcamp in hope to find cool new bands...
Smile
Josso
Soundcloud / last.fm / pandora

Although if you really want to find something super amazing you will have to do what I do when looking for films... instead of hours on imdb, you need to spend hours on discogs!
inuyasha
For Chinese J-POP fans, we usually go to Oricon Barhttp://tieba.baidu.com/oricon~