FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Apache on linux

The-Nisk
Right, so I want to install Apache on my ubuntu 9.10 distribution, the question is do I do so on the actual system or run it on a virtual machine? It's well overdue, it would make php code testing and execution a lot easier and web-development aswell.

Alternatively, I was considering installing Ubuntu server edition on another computer on my local network.
Advice & suggestions are welcome! =]
carlospro7
Is there a reason you would need to run it on a virtual machine? It doesn't make sense to me to do that. Otherwise, installing it on your current system would probably work just fine. If only for testing, you wouldn't even know it's running if you are not using it any moment.
You would only need to install Ubuntu Server if you are actually going to use it to host your website, and you need (more or less) dedicated processing, but if it's only used for testing reasons the desktop version is perfect.

The-Nisk wrote:
... it would make php code testing and execution a lot easier and web-development aswell...

Definitely. I have Apache running on my machine for testing also. I use Ubuntu Desktop Very Happy
The-Nisk
I was just thinking, if I do decide to host my website it would be way easier on a virtual machine, then I just fire it up and it's online. I can customize the OS to suit my website needs, while not affecting my normal ubuntu use. Just a thought!

Maybe I'll install Apache & Ubuntu-server on my desktop and then just manage it via laptop, that would probably be better. Since I'm planning on making web-apps, it probably the only way to go. So that I'll use my frihost account just to serve results while all the processing will take place on my own server run from home. Any criticism? =]
Fire Boar
Why not just install apache on your desktop? You don't need Ubuntu Server.

Code:
sudo apt-get install apache2 mysql-server php5 php5-mysql phpmyadmin
sudo chmod 777 /var/www

Bam. Instant LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) environment. Just browse to http://localhost/ and you should see something along the lines of "It works!". Start editing files in /var/www.

If you don't want it to start on bootup, just use your service manager app (System->Administration->Services I think) to configure it that way. You can start it at any time by doing:

Code:
/etc/init.d/apache2 start
/etc/init.d/mysql start
carlospro7
One reason servers may use virtual machines is when they are hosting multiple servers on one machine and they want to give the appearance that a server is running on its own computer. That way if one server crashes you don't have to restart the machine, just the virtual machine.

Most likely, for your case, you wouldn't get any more benefit from running a virtual machine. If anything it would be slower because you would be running your server on an extra layer (or more) of software, but, depending on your machine, the difference shouldn't be too significant.

You can still customize your server if you have it installed on your actual machine I'm pretty sure.

Of course, I suppose it's a matter of preference how you want it done, but if performance is a concern then, for your case, it doesn't sound like you need a virtual machine.
leontius
Using VM will also complicates the network settings. In your case, I think VM is really not necessary. If you really want to start/stop servers in one click, just make a small shell script for that.
albuferque
I agree that using a VM is unnecessary, just download and install Xampp, carefully following their instructions and most of your work is done. You also have a nice little dashboard to start and stop your website or your database. The folks at PortableApps.com have a 'portable' version of XAMPP that can be run from a thumb drive. The great thing about this version is that you can take it with you and have it run from any computer. This version comes complete with a file server and an optional Tomcat install to host your Java web applications.

Developers could simply use XAMPP as a sandbox to test out their own custom applications. Whatever your motivation may be, XAMPP gives you a webserver in minutes.
Fire Boar
Hold it, albuferque.

The-Nisk wrote:
Right, so I want to install Apache on my ubuntu 9.10 distribution, the question is do I do so on the actual system or run it on a virtual machine? It's well overdue, it would make php code testing and execution a lot easier and web-development aswell.

It's pretty clear that the OP is using Ubuntu Linux on the desktop, so XAMPP would be completely inappropriate. XAMPP is only good for testing on Windows machines (which is quite often exactly what is needed). Actually running a production server... avoid XAMPP definitely, but just using Windows for production servers is in itself inadvisable.
Agent ME
Right - on Ubuntu, just install the apache2 and libapache2-mod-php5 packages. Also the php5-mysql package if you want to use mysql. (These links tell the system package manager to retrieve the packages from the system's software repository; they probably won't work if you're not on Ubuntu or Debian.)
sith
Keep it simple. If you would make code testing, you only need to have a single instance running server. In the case you need another in the future, you add it.
jilbs
The-Nisk wrote:

Just run it on a virtual machine since it is only for testing. i suggest to use Virtualbox, its faster than vmware. If you need your web server to have a different IP address in the same subnet on the same ethernet interface, use bridge connection for the LAN
site: http://www.virtualbox.org/

install lampp instead. you only need few lines and you can get your WebServer up and running.
get lampp on this link
http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-linux.html

bonus:
if you want your test site to be accessible outside your network, port forward port 80 and apply for dyndns account. you will have your own WebServer accessible anywhere.
k_s_baskar
If you want to test your website than go for low end vps which will have option to install your ubuntu os in few seconds , real static ip etc.,

Smile
5aia
if you have another pc i think it's better cos in this way when you are ready u can snat it and you are on the way!