FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Spellchecking for extra FriH$





phileplanet
This is a really crazy idea but what if people could earn extra FriH$ if their posts were grammatically correct? You would have to severely modify the forum but it's an idea.
BlackSkad
You can do that. Two huge reasons
First of all, it's a huge amount of work, because it's very hard to automize. Doesn't need more explanation I guess...
A second reason is that not everyone has Englisch as his/her native language. They might have a good basic knowledge of English, but you'll never will know everything about a language which isn't your own. And mistakes can always be made, even by people who grew up with the grammaticaly correct form of English.

So I don't support your suggestion, but I agree that some people need to do a little more efforts on writing.
phileplanet
BlackSkad wrote:
You can do that. Two huge reasons
First of all, it's a huge amount of work, because it's very hard to automize. Doesn't need more explanation I guess...
A second reason is that not everyone has Englisch as his/her native language. They might have a good basic knowledge of English, but you'll never will know everything about a language which isn't your own. And mistakes can always be made, even by people who grew up with the grammaticaly correct form of English.

So I don't support your suggestion, but I agree that some people need to do a little more efforts on writing.


Yea guess we would need Spanish, Turkish, Polish, French, and English spellcheckers
BlackSkad
And what would you do with people who speak another language than those you mentioned? They wouldn't be able to get some more Fri$ because they only know the basics of one of the languages you mentioned. That's not ealy fair, is it?
My native language is Dutch. As there is no Dutch board (yet), I need to speak English, but I know I can't do it perfectly (I actually failed my exam last christmas Embarassed). And I will never be able to talk it as good as others can.
So all the people in the same case would get less points because our language isn't important enough on this forum? (because that is, in my view, one of the main problems from your suggestion)
phileplanet
BlackSkad wrote:
And what would you do with people who speak another language than those you mentioned? They wouldn't be able to get some more Fri$ because they only know the basics of one of the languages you mentioned. That's not ealy fair, is it?
My native language is Dutch. As there is no Dutch board (yet), I need to speak English, but I know I can't do it perfectly (I actually failed my exam last christmas Embarassed). And I will never be able to talk it as good as others can.
So all the people in the same case would get less points because our language isn't important enough on this forum? (because that is, in my view, one of the main problems from your suggestion)


Well I see your point of view about my suggestion and i'll delete the board if it makes you happy.

Honestly though, I think you speak (type) excellent English for someone who claims they will never be able to speak it as good as others can.
BlackSkad
Well it's only by talking and typing it, that you learn a language (same with computerlanguages). So you can't take fri$ from people because they don't know the language yet. If you see an mistake just tell him where he's wrong and he might have learned something new Smile

Maybe we can add a board where people can ask questions about spellchecking and English grammar Very Happy

btw, thank you. As I said, I failed my exam last year, so I'm kinda impressed because you think so Smile
phileplanet
BlackSkad wrote:
So you can't take fri$ from people because they don't know the language yet.

Actually, I didn't say you should take points away from people. I said you should reward people with extra points if they speak gramatically correct english (I guess it's grammatically correct "language" now Very Happy).
BlackSkad
phileplanet wrote:
Actually, I didn't say you should take points away from people. I said you should reward people with extra points if they speak gramatically correct english (I guess it's grammatically correct "language" now Very Happy).


Yeah I know, but when you give fri$ to some people and not to others, it's like taking points from the others Smile

And I still wonder how to spell "grammatically" correct Very Happy

I'm going to have a little nap now, tomorrow is my first day at the university Smile Goodnight to all of you,
BlackSkad
phileplanet
BlackSkad wrote:
phileplanet wrote:
Actually, I didn't say you should take points away from people. I said you should reward people with extra points if they speak gramatically correct english (I guess it's grammatically correct "language" now Very Happy).


Yeah I know, but when you give fri$ to some people and not to others, it's like taking points from the others Smile

And I still wonder how to spell "grammatically" correct Very Happy

I'm going to have a little nap now, tomorrow is my first day at the university Smile Goodnight to all of you,
BlackSkad

lol yea i'm not sure either. Isn't that ironic?
SNES350
I believe people should be able to deduct Frih$ for blatant spelling errors. Grammer is more difficult to master, so I don't mind mistakes.
phileplanet
SNES350 wrote:
I believe people should be able to deduct Frih$ for blatant spelling errors. Grammer is more difficult to master, so I don't mind mistakes.


But like BlackSkad said, it would be unfair to those who don't know english or are not familiar with it.
Nameless
How about we just penalise people who type certain phrases or words like: u, ?!?!?!?!, or omgwtflol?
BlackSkad
I don't mind punishing those Smile Those are people who normally know the English language, but who don't want to write in a correct way. And again, that's hard to read, for English and non-English people alike.
Punish them Twisted Evil

BlackSkad
phileplanet
Nameless wrote:
How about we just penalise people who type certain phrases or words like: u, ?!?!?!?!, or omgwtflol?

BlackSkad wrote:
I don't mind punishing those Smile Those are people who normally know the English language, but who don't want to write in a correct way. And again, that's hard to read, for English and non-English people alike.
Punish them Twisted Evil
BlackSkad

I agree definitely.
simplyw00x
SNES350 wrote:
I believe people should be able to deduct Frih$ for blatant spelling errors. Grammer is more difficult to master, so I don't mind mistakes.

Oh the irony... Rolling Eyes
Related topics
phpBB Services
Mod's Installed and Custom PHP Scripts Made
For Intros/menus etc...Status : Busy.
Sugestion
If you have dialup in the US check this out for 5 frih$
Need a web template, I'll spend up to...
I need phpnuke.
Paying For Advertisments !!!!
-= Helios' Loans =-= Need money? CLICK HERE =-
Fines
Buy Extra Subdomains
Default Avatar 100x100px FRIH$100
20 frih$ to get BANNED from a forum! [closed]
I Need Bike Info, 50+ Frih$ For Good Info 25Frih$ For Signup
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> Suggestions

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.