FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Reallocating Hard Drive Space in Windows XP

Tony The Tiger
I have used the computer management console (My computer >> manage) in Windows Vista to delete a partition and reallocate its space to another partition on my 2007 Hewlett Packard Pavilion DV9000T with Windows Vista. I have a 2003 Dell Inspiron 8200 with Windows XP with a partitioned hard drive. Currently, the system partition only has 2.77 GB of free space. I do not want to delete the data partition. However, is it possible to make it smaller to free up space for the system partition? I do not see a way to make space by reducing the size of a partition. Is this something that is possible?
rickylau
Softwares like Norton Partition Magic would be able to do so. For a free solution, there is a software called EASEUS Partition Master Home Edition, which is free for personal usage, has the features of basic partitioning such as resizing partitions. From the screen shots its UI looks like the Norton one and I would think it is not hard to perform your task. You can download this software at the below website:
http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm
Tony The Tiger
rickylau wrote:
Softwares like Norton Partition Magic would be able to do so. For a free solution, there is a software called EASEUS Partition Master Home Edition, which is free for personal usage, has the features of basic partitioning such as resizing partitions. From the screen shots its UI looks like the Norton one and I would think it is not hard to perform your task. You can download this software at the below website:
http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

Thanks. It looks like what I want.
Diablosblizz
Reallocating can't be done in Windows. I was unable to take some space from a partition and give it to another partition. It may be because I was using the main partition, so Windows couldn't do it. Something that doesn't require Windows to be loaded will probably work (gParted).
rickylau
Diablosblizz wrote:
Reallocating can't be done in Windows. I was unable to take some space from a partition and give it to another partition. It may be because I was using the main partition, so Windows couldn't do it. Something that doesn't require Windows to be loaded will probably work (gParted).
Yes it can be done, unless you are going to resize the partition to a volume that cannot contain all existing files. Although the partition cannot be modified when Windows is running, the partition can be modified before Windows is loaded (Actually should be "partly loaded"). Norton PartitionMagic and (seems that) EASEUS Partition Master will tell you to reboot and the task will be performed after rebooting if necessary.
erlendhg
Diablosblizz wrote:

Yes, I don't know how many times I have cursed Windows for not beeing able to move (reallocate) partitions. Also it oftens fail even to reduce the size of a volum (partition).

I have experienced getting in trouble using Norton PartitionMagic (or PowerQuest, as it used to be, although I think it is the same version). My external hard drive got some problems with cylinder or head size (don't remember which), and I had to use a free utility called testdisk to fix it.

I have used both gParted and EASEUS though with great results.