FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Why Do You Have a Limit Of 45 Points?

azoundria
I'm just wondering, how did this come about?

It might be handy for some people to be able to post more in advance, and not have to worry if they one day got hit by a bus and ended up in the hospital, without internet access, for a while.

Most people don't go away for more than 60 days, though stranger things have happened. So what is the real reason why there's the limit?
Bondings
The point is to keep people active. It's to avoid that some people would post a lot of posts and then stop posting for like half a year until their points are low again. Also, it would encourage more copy-pasting and other non-desirable ways to get a lot of points quickly.
Hogwarts
azoundria wrote:
Most people don't go away for more than 60 days, though stranger things have happened. So what is the real reason why there's the limit?

And how, anyway, does Frihost know if they've 'been hit by a bus' or have simply decided that they don't care for their hosting anymore (tying up resources which could be used by other users)? I can imagine that almost unanimously it would be because people no longer care for their hosting; or have otherwise forgotten their obligation to post (in which case they get emails, anyway)
nam_siddharth
Although it is off-topic, what about locking users account when one's points reaches 0. Sometime some user's point go extremely below like -200. When they restart posting, their hosting account get deleted because some moderators find their points too low. I know points are reset to 0 on request in those cases, but will it not better if points never go below 0. There may be some mechanism to automatically lock user's hosting account when it reaches 0. Moderators can send 1 or 2 warnings after it. When the user do not respond, delete his hosting account. When the user decides to come back, he can restart posting and request new hosting account.
deanhills
Hogwarts wrote:
And how, anyway, does Frihost know if they've 'been hit by a bus' or have simply decided that they don't care for their hosting anymore (tying up resources which could be used by other users)? I can imagine that almost unanimously it would be because people no longer care for their hosting; or have otherwise forgotten their obligation to post (in which case they get emails, anyway)
Agreed. I also cannot understand how someone can't keep their postings up when they are away anyway. Even if we are on holidays for 60 days we are always near computers. It does not take that many postings to stay in the safe zone.
Afaceinthematrix
I don't think it matters that much. As has already been explained, the point is to keep users active. And even if you are going to be away for more than 60 days, all of the moderators here seem to be pretty cool. I'm sure that if I said, "Hey, I'm joining the U.S. Marines and I'm going to be away in boot camps with no computers for the next 13 weeks" then exceptions would be made - especially considering I have almost 2000 posts and have been a very active member since 2006. Frihost thrives off of its active members that make solid contributions to many topics. Therefore, I really don't see them giving an active and good poster problems because an extended leave.

Besides, these occasions are usually few and far between. Most of the time we have at least some (even if limited) access to computers and all it really takes is two posts a week to stay positive. For instance, this post is probably long enough to be worth five points. So if I post this and then come back in half a week and post something even half this length, then I'm good for an entire week and I haven't even had to try very hard! It really only takes 10 to 15 minutes combined per week to stay positive. Most people post far more than required simply because they want the community to stay active because that is more fun for everyone. It's only the occasional exception - like someone joining the service (and I'm only using this example because I just got back from my friend's going away party; he's going off to the Marine bootcamp where he will literally have no computer access for the next 90 days or so) and as I said, I'm sure the moderators here would be cool about that if the member has proven that they are indeed an active and solid contributor...
speeDemon
55 days of tension(of closure) free living is always good for me..
I think -10 is good enough.. I mean, atleast for me it is..

I usually get late for just about any kind of work, and in case I have to get out of my house at 5 pm sharp, I'd always be able to get out at 5:05 to 5:10.. so I usually keep my watch 5 mins ahead..

I'ts just the way I look at things i guess..
If the hosting accont were to be closed if I had 0 points.. then I'd be doomed Razz I always need a bit over the limit.. I've gone to -10 a few times... usually during exams or vaccations.. but never had a problem with the 55 day(max) tension free living.. Smile
Bikerman
I can't speak for the officials on this one (moderators don't have the ability to lock or delete accounts) but I can say that from experience the admins are extremely tolerant of overdrafts in points where the poster concerned has a good history of previous contributions..Obviously if someone joins, posts a few messages, and then runs way into the red immediately, then there might be a case for closing before too long, but in general quite a lot of latitude is given. Obviously I'm not going to put numbers to that because it might encourage some of you to get lax about posting Smile but I don't think you need worry too much...