FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Gangasagar fair 2010.........

subirbasak

Just came from Gangasagar Fair & shot it there...Gangasagar Mela(fair) is the largest fair celebrated in West Bengal (INDIA). This fair is held where the Ganga and the Bay of Bengal form a nexus. Hence the name Gangasagar Mela. This festival is celebrated during January every year and is a major attraction for millions of pilgrims from all over India.
The pilgrims come for a holy dip on Makar Sankranti (last day of the Bengali Month) Magha -Mid January. They take dips in the Ganges and offer water to the Sun God. The dip, as they say, purifies their 'self' and according to them, 'punya' can be obtained thus. When they are done with the ritual obligations, they head towards the Kapilmuni Temple situated nearby, to worship the deity as a mark of respect......
tony
Cool photo! And thanks for the description of the event; it is helpful for those like me who know little of your culture. Do you have any more photos from the fair?
ajitha999
Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:38 pm Post subject:
Cool photo! And thanks for the description of the event; it is helpful for those like me who know little of your culture. Do you have any more photos from the fair?
Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil