FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Cell-grown meat: would you eat it?

Would you be comfortable eating meat that was grown in a lab?
Yes: meat is meat, food is food
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Yes: meat without animal slaughter is just what I've been waiting for
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Yes: this is awesome; I want to see what it's like
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No: meat should come from animals; we're messing too much with the natural order
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
No: I don't trust the safety of meat made in a lab
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
No: it's just not the same, it won't taste right, it's unfamiliar
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Maybe: if it were proven safe and it tasted good, I'd try it
66%
 66%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 6

quex
I've just read this article: Stem cells used to produce pork

Now, all purely scientific interest and advantages aside, do you think there would be an eager market for this sort of product? I somehow don't see many vegetarians suddenly switching back to a diet that includes meat just because it is now slaughter-free; that is, no animals are killed to produce it. Similarly, I envision a reactionary response from the meat-eating population, something along the lines of "it's not meat, it didn't come form a living animal; we've been eating meat from slaughtered animals for thousands of years and that's the natural way; it's mutated/fake/dangerous and we won't eat it!"

Between those two groups, I wonder if enough of a market could be scrounged up to actually finance this research via the fruits of its labor... unless the cost-of-production were honestly, drastically lower than traditional methods of raising and slaughtering animals, in which case it could weasel its way in via raw economic advantage. Hmm...

In any case, it'll take a hell of PR campaign.
deanhills
Perhaps they could produce a cleaner version of meat with stem cells? Even better would be if we could buy our own tools one day and be able to "grow" our own meat with stem cells. Think that would be pretty awesome.

With regard to vegetarians, they have been doing so many different variances of soya products, some of which are bad for us as well, if they could do stem cells well, I'd rather go for stem cells. Not all soya products are equal.
Bondings
Machine-grown meat is something I envision would be widely used in the future. It might not sound great, but I doubt the taste would be that much worse, especially after improvements.

However, this is not something for soon I guess, even if a way is found, it still most likely means a long way before it is deemed safe to eat and at the same time cheap to make. And getting the taste good enough might also take quite a while.
quex
deanhills wrote:
Perhaps they could produce a cleaner version of meat with stem cells? Even better would be if we could buy our own tools one day and be able to "grow" our own meat with stem cells. Think that would be pretty awesome.

o.o

I had not even considered that.
jwellsy
That could be a great technology for colonizing the moon or mars.
quex
jwellsy wrote:
That could be a great technology for colonizing the moon or mars.

Agreed. In fact, if we're just aiming for reproducible food supplies to go into space, I wonder if it would be easier to step "back" so to speak and try lab-grown plant flesh, instead...? The cellular structure of apple flesh has to be simpler than mammalian muscle, right? In any case, growing fruit and vegetables out of dishes in a matter of weeks or months would be vastly simpler and more portable than lugging soil, water, and a capture system for nitrogen/oxygen/CO2 through space... not to mention the growing times necessary for natural production.

Consider also the energy spent cooking the meat, vs crunching down a few raw carrots. :D

Can anyone out there compare the cellular build of mammalian muscle tissue vs. fruit flesh? I really don't have much of a background in botany. ._.'
deanhills
Laughing I have this mental image of backpackers and mountaineers having packets of food rations including growing meat, marinating in a special sauce in their back packs. I like this idea. Wish we could do the same with veggies. Can one do stem cell broccoli for example? I imagine us travelling and having broccoli growing in a special food container, by the time we get to our destination we may have a whole variety of veggies and fruits in our food container. I like this idea!
jwellsy
Would you eat meat from an animal that had been genetically enhanced with human brain cells?
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7681252/
Greatking
anything that goes against the word of God is not something i am willing to accept. God said in Genesis; the beast of the field and everything on earth i have given unto you. so why then must we 'invent the wheel'. enjoy what God has given us!
deanhills
jwellsy wrote:
Would you eat meat from an animal that had been genetically enhanced with human brain cells?
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7681252/
Aren't we going off topic here? Production from stem cells is completely different from genetical engineering. Or do you see the two as the same? Think