FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


2010 Election in the Phils.





nigam
It's 2010 and now it's Philippines Election a lot of politician now are campaigning. But the election will be this coming May this year so I guess the people here still has a lot of time choose who would be the right person to put on the set.

Here's the list of Presidentiable with their current positions

Noli de Castro - Vice President
Mar Roxas - Senator
Manny Villar - Senator
Joseph Estrada - Former President
Angelo Reyes - Environment and Natural Resources Secretary
Loren Legarda- Leviste - Former Senator
Joe De Venecia - Former House Speaker
Edgardo Angara - Senator
Jojo Binay Makati City Mayor
Chiz Escudero - Senator
Ping Lacson - Senator
Eddie Panlilio - Pampanga Governor
Bayani Fernando - Chairman of the Metro Manila Development Authority
Gilberto Teodoro Secretary of National Defense
Nicanor Perlas
jwellsy
Do the radicals/extremists (what do you call them?) get talked about much in the PI election news?
deanhills
@nigam. Is the current President going to stand for re-election as well, as I don't see her name on the list, or did I miss it? Which are the top three that you think would be good to lead the Philippines? And why?
nigam
Well the current president wasn't allowed to run for the same office according to the commission on election here in our country. But she's allowed to run for Congress and she has a lot of supporters and opposition well. And the one whose on top of the lists are Ninoy Aquino son of former president Cory Aquino and second is Manny Villar which holds the poaition of senator for the moment.
paskifire
What happened to my post I think it's gone
tingkagol
Election results as of 10am, 5/11/10:

President:
1 AQUINO, Benigno Simeon III C. 12,470,588
2 ESTRADA EJERCITO, Joseph M. 7,918,259
3 VILLAR, Manuel Jr B. 4,425,934
4 TEODORO, Gilberto Jr. C. 3,308,272
5 VILLANUEVA, Eduardo C. 934,979
6 GORDON, Richard J. 436,810

Our voters are the dumbest I think. #1 is an incompetent senator who hasn't passed any laws. #2 is a convict. I voted for #4.

And guess what, Manny Pacquiao wins in Sarangani province! I can't tell you how ashamed I am of this. Sad

Congressman of Sarangani Province:
1 CHIONGBIAN, Roy L. 34,331
2 PACQUIAO, Emmanuel D. 71,476


This next 6 years is going to suck for the Philippines. What good is democracy if you can't trust the decision-making of the people?
deanhills
Looks as though President Aquino won by a land slide. At least she will continue to maintain the status quo. From what I learned in the beginning you were worried about the convict being elected President. So that has to be at least a silver lining around a dark cloud. Smile

By the way, the UK is in a much worse predicament. There is no clear leader, and I wonder what is going to happen not only to the Philippines and the UK, but all of the world in the next six years.
tingkagol
Aquino's a "he". Smile

I was worried before that Estrada may win, but as the days passed, I grew more and more confident the people will not vote for a plunderer, and thought he'd end up 4th or 5th overall- giving a buffer to the idiot voters.

Then the election came. 2nd place?!? COME ON!!!

I'm extremely upset with the results. Where the hell did these 8 million Filipinos come from?? I completely underestimated this "special" population of this country. It's really depressing.
deanhills
tingkagol wrote:
Aquino's a "he". Smile
Thanks for the correction. I thought it was the previous President - "Cory", so is this new Aquino a relative of hers?

tingkagol wrote:
I'm extremely upset with the results. Where the hell did these 8 million Filipinos come from?? I completely underestimated this "special" population of this country. It's really depressing.
Do you think the elections could have been rigged?
tingkagol
deanhills wrote:
tingkagol wrote:
Aquino's a "he". Smile
Thanks for the correction. I thought it was the previous President - "Cory", so is this new Aquino a relative of hers?

He is her son. She died late last year from cancer I think. She was a democratic stalwart and a very important political figure in the Phils, being the figurehead to the overthrowing of the dictatorial regime of Ferdinand Marcos back in 1986.

Upon her death, the entire nation was in mourning. So her son, who previously had no plans to run for the the presidency, figured it would be too much of a waste not to build a presidential campaign around it, using it as his catalyst to get more votes.

This guy had nothing going for him. As senator for 6 long years, he only authored a measly 10-12 bills, and none of them passed into law. Yes, the guy made ZERO laws as a legislator. But alas, people in droves, and ultimately in the millions, sympathetically voted for him.

But I am at least relieved his election to office prevented Estrada, the crook, from winning.

deanhills wrote:
tingkagol wrote:
I'm extremely upset with the results. Where the hell did these 8 million Filipinos come from?? I completely underestimated this "special" population of this country. It's really depressing.
Do you think the elections could have been rigged?

Well, this is the first time the country has used computerized polls, so I can't really tell. I'm a bit more inclined to believe we have millions of voters who are idiots.
deanhills
tingkagol wrote:
This guy had nothing going for him. As senator for 6 long years, he only authored a measly 10-12 bills, and none of them passed into law. Yes, the guy made ZERO laws as a legislator. But alas, people in droves, and ultimately in the millions, sympathetically voted for him.
Could be that those who are not deep thinkers associated him with his mother. I'm really sorry about her passing though. Guess politics in the Philippines have to be very stressful on a person. Nothing simple about it.

tingkagol wrote:
But I am at least relieved his election to office prevented Estrada, the crook, from winning.
Right, the fact that he got to stand for election, when he had a criminal record, still boggles the mind. How that could happen is very strange. On the other hand, in South Africa, President Zuma also comes with plenty of allegations against him for corruption and bad conduct. However since the ANC did not have any other real candidates of substance who would toe their line, they made some strict deals with him. Still, that boggled the mind too.

tingkagol wrote:
Well, this is the first time the country has used computerized polls, so I can't really tell. I'm a bit more inclined to believe we have millions of voters who are idiots.
Did expats get to vote as well, or are those who are abroad, more likely not to vote?
guissmo
tingkagol wrote:
Election results as of 10am, 5/11/10:

President:
1 AQUINO, Benigno Simeon III C. 12,470,588
2 ESTRADA EJERCITO, Joseph M. 7,918,259
3 VILLAR, Manuel Jr B. 4,425,934
4 TEODORO, Gilberto Jr. C. 3,308,272

Our voters are the dumbest I think. #1 is an incompetent senator who hasn't passed any laws. #2 is a convict. I voted for #4.

This next 6 years is going to suck for the Philippines. What good is democracy if you can't trust the decision-making of the people?


I'm disappointed in you. Instead of supporting what the citizens think will be the best for the country, you dare call them "dumb" and pursue naming your desired candidate. The citizens come from different backgrounds - rich and poor, urban and rural, young and old, and so I don't think anyone is in the position to call someone dumb.

I honestly don't think it was a dumb move to have voted any of those people as long as it came from one's heavy discernment of the big decision vested upon your ballot.

With the election results, I suggest we stop whining whether our candidate won or not, and instead, help those elected fulfill a good term. We are not electing a Messiah. Whoever our president is, the people should have the initiative to help our country. I think it's a blessing in disguise that most people think Noynoy is "incompetent" to be a president so that a lot of our fellow countrymen will step up and respectfully suggest or implement new ways on how our country can improve.
Related topics
Election Day Eve in Iraq
ELECTION - Your Position on Aliens
SEARCHING FOR MR. GOOD-WAR
Election Time in Canada
U.N Calls Iraq Election A Success. Libs On Suicide Watch
canadian election
Canadian election... your vote decided?
Election systems
Soccer World Cup 2010 South Africa
Aung San Suu Kyi on Trial
Americans want universal health care. Why can't we get it?
Election 2009
What will be the result of the UK General Election 2010?
British Election 2010 - "Hung Parliament"?
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Lifestyle and News -> Politics

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.