FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Ebook Readers

kutekitten
What is the best ebook reader for someone who doesn't need a ton of features, but can read about a book a day? I've looked at the kindle, and I don't really like it, it's very bulky and I don't like paying for the features it has... I've also looked at the nook, but I read that it was slow (if anyone says otherwise, I'd be happy to know) and I looked at the sony touch, which is pretty nice, although I'll have to look at it myself since the display is supposedly not so nice... (glare and bad contrast) I'm kinda looking at the astak mentor, but I'd like to know the opinions of other people, and I'd like to see if the reviews I've seen could be disproved. I want to get a good one, I'm willing to pay up to about $270, although something cheaper would be nice.

Thanks. A theory needs many examples to be proven, but only one to be disproved. Smile
MissJones
Hi KuteKitten

I can't comment on the Kindle and other ebook readers but I do have the Sony PRS505 which was superceded by the two new Sony readers. I have to say that I absolutely love it. The writing on the screen is clear to read and doesn't strain the eye. It is easiest to read in good light, but I bought a clip on reading light for a few pounds to enable me to read in bed when the light is dimmer.

The page turn on the PRS505 is quite fast on epub and lrf format books but slow on pdf files. I try to avoid pdfs where possible as these books do not resize properly when you change the magnification size.

All in all I'm very pleased with my purchase but wish I'd waited a few months as the new models are about 50 less than I paid.

Happy reading
Miss Jones
Ankhanu
I use Good Reader and Stanza for iPhone/iPod Touch almost exclusively. They're both exceptionally simple readers and work quite nicely. I find the iPhone/iPod touch a pretty good size with great screen clarity for a portable reader. Unlike the others it fits in your pocket and nicely into a single hand, so you can take it anywhere.
kutekitten
Thanks for the help Smile I ended up getting a sony reader touch edition (prs-600), which was a little out of my price range, but I'm fine with being broke for a while. I love the navigation, and the possible space, and the size, and the screen, and the note-taking possibilities it's pretty much my perfect reader Smile (if it weren't for the price lol)

I already have an ipod touch (1st generation), and the battery life just isn't nice enough... I like to read for hours at a time, and the battery just doesn't last that long. There's the other problem with reading for hours at a time with a backlight... I have tried it, and that's what I've been living on for a while, but I think I'll enjoy this a bit more.

This discussion should stay open... I've chosen mine, but I'm sure other people are having trouble choosing the latest and greatest piece of technology. Smile
Ankhanu
Glad you found a reader you like Smile

kutekitten wrote:
I already have an ipod touch (1st generation), and the battery life just isn't nice enough... I like to read for hours at a time, and the battery just doesn't last that long. There's the other problem with reading for hours at a time with a backlight... I have tried it, and that's what I've been living on for a while, but I think I'll enjoy this a bit more.

That's interesting.
I'm using an iPhone 3Gs and, turning to airplane mode (disabling the cellular), I'll get a full day's worth of use out of it, reading and listening to music simultaneously. Leaving the cellullar active really decreases the battery life, but I still get about 9hr of use out of it that way.

I would imagine the current iPod Touches have equal or better battery life.
kutekitten
Ankhanu wrote:
Glad you found a reader you like Smile

kutekitten wrote:

That's interesting.
I'm using an iPhone 3Gs and, turning to airplane mode (disabling the cellular), I'll get a full day's worth of use out of it, reading and listening to music simultaneously. Leaving the cellullar active really decreases the battery life, but I still get about 9hr of use out of it that way.

I would imagine the current iPod Touches have equal or better battery life.

hm, that's probably right... I doubt mine has the best battery life. I don't really mind reading on my touch lol, and I do from time to time, just because as you said, it fits in my pocket and the reader doesn't. I'm glad yours works so well for you though, probably would've saved the money I spent on the reader lol.
TurtleShell
My partner has a kindle. I'm not even the slightest bit curious about it--I love paper books. She seems very happy with it, though, and she also seems to read a lot more than she used to,b ecause she can buy a book any time anywhere she wants...
jilbs
hi! i just wonder, do you guys know if there is a reader program that can be use in windows like a Pdf file to speech?
snowboardalliance
kutekitten wrote:
I've looked at the kindle, and I don't really like it, it's very bulky and I don't like paying for the features it has...

Are you talking the latest generation? I have a new Kindle from christmas and I love it. It's not bulky at all, very slim and light. It's great because the battery lasts "forever" and it's so easy on your eyes (vs. say an iPad).

Right now I'm reading some of the free books like Sherlock Holmes to try it out. I plan on buying some more books that I've been meaning to read.

Just my two cents, as a Kindle user.
kitsrock
I borrowed an e-book reader from my school library and I find that I'm not using it as much as I thought I would. Maybe it's because I am spending most of my time studying, or maybe because I'm not attached to it due to the fact that it's not mine. Whatever the reason, I'm glad I got to keep it for two weeks before I rushed into buying one.

Also, the model is the Sony touch edition.
Radar
The Kindle's appearance seems to be the best by far. Almost every time I see one I'm surprised by the screen.

As a side note, I'm really struggling to believe the popularity of ebooks. I haven't come across heaps of people who use them, but you hear them being talked about, and any company being involved with physical books at all being threatened by them, but they still don't make much sense to me. Reading something from a screen doesn't fundamentally compare to having a book in your hands and reading it.

Perhaps that's just my struggle to make the transition from loving books to loving e-books. Maybe I'm just a Luddite in this area.
Ankhanu
Radar wrote:
... Reading something from a screen doesn't fundamentally compare to having a book in your hands and reading it.

Perhaps that's just my struggle to make the transition from loving books to loving e-books. Maybe I'm just a Luddite in this area.

I couldn't do ebooks at all until I got my iPhone. Reading them on a computer screen felt wrong... but having them on something handheld, even though it's not an actual book, seems to lend the format credibility. With an appropriate reader, ebooks really aren't bad and can be very enjoyable Smile
deanhills
Ankhanu wrote:
I couldn't do ebooks at all until I got my iPhone. Reading them on a computer screen felt wrong... but having them on something handheld, even though it's not an actual book, seems to lend the format credibility. With an appropriate reader, ebooks really aren't bad and can be very enjoyable Smile
I hear iPad is great for reading e-books. I've got a friend who can't put her iPad down. I've heard so many good things about iPad, and also checked it out when I was recently in Bangkok, that I'm seriously thinking about buying one.
Ankhanu
Dean, I think the iPad is a pretty decent platform, the iPad 2 seems even better (performance). Here's a kinda lengthy review of the iPad 2, Review: iPad 2 is not revolutionary, but it is great by Andy Ihnatko. This review kinda sold me on the iPad 2. I was a little disinterested in the platform until I read it, but now I want one, though I still won't buy one. As desirable as it is, I don't need another platform to fit between my iPhone and my MacBook Pro; there's just not enough of a role difference to justify my spending... But if you don't have a full size portable laptop and a powerful smartphone, an iPad is a pretty good portable computer lite Razz
yagnyavalkya
There are a lot of Ebook readers in the market
Insanity
I think there are some readers for the iPod or iPhone if you have one of those.
Radar
Ankhanu wrote:

Mmm, I hear you on the handheld aspect. That physical nature of it could be good. The small screen and backlight might be a problem for extended periods of time though.
Ankhanu
Radar wrote:
Mmm, I hear you on the handheld aspect. That physical nature of it could be good. The small screen and backlight might be a problem for extended periods of time though.

It could be, yeah. Personally, I haven't had any issues with the screen size, I find it fairly comfortable, and most reader apps will let you change font size to accommodate your eyes; coupled with choosing between landscape and portrait orientations you can tailor the display to your preference. Regarding the backlight, you can adjust screen brightness in the system settings. Alternatively, some apps will let you adjust in the app too; Stanza, for example (my reader of choice) allows you to rapidly adjust screen brightness by swiping your finger up and down the screen. You can also change font/background colours for different situations; i.e. white on black for night time reading, black on white for daytime, etc.

So, yeah, with all the display flexibility, I've had no issues reading for hours at a time, whether in the bright light or in pitch darkness.

Of course, I know others who simply can't deal with the backlighting thing, so, I guess it's all personal experience.
TurtleShell
I like the Kindle. The only feature that pisses me off is that it takes forever to turn off--you have to hold that button down for a long time.