FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Haitian Earthquake

jwellsy
A 7.0 quake hit Port-Au-Prince.
http://www1.voanews.com/english/news/americas/Major-Earthquake-Strikes-Near-Haitian-Capital-81308912.html
People around the world are praying for them.
My heart certainly goes out to them.
apple
Its really sad. Last night when I heard I felt sick. I thought of all the innocent people who would have died Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
deanhills
Think this one was particularly bad as it hit a populous city, Port au Prince, where there is a large population and major infrastructure has been obliterated. Would appear that the President's palace, schools, hospital and prison for example have all been flattened. Parliament collapsed and the tax office is also history. The cathedral, the archbishop's office, all the big churches, the seminaries have been reduced to rubble, so all the traditional sanctuaries and people who would have helped in relief operations have been killed. Can imagine there has to be major problems with crime in the city, and total chaos and confusion right now. Next thing will be disease, especially with almost 100,000 bodies being strewn everywhere and layed out in the streets for identification. Some people seem to think that the death toll will be much higher than that.

Wonder how in this day and age of sophisticated equipment a major earthquake like that of 7 magnitude can still not be predicted so that they could have at least have secured some of the infrastructure prior to the earthquake. Amazing that the President survived it. Wonder whether he had a bunker of sorts attached to his Palace?
pll
An earthquake which had a magnitude of 7 on the richter scale hurted the capital of Haïti, Port-Au-Prince.
I can't believe what I see in the news, it's the third night that people will need to sleep outside, they have no more houses, no more water, no more food.

I can't even think about how this people can live in so bad conditions, disaster after disaster.
It's so sad, I know nobody who lives there but it's kinda hard to think about how I would feel in such conditions.

Think about it a second, it's the third night you live without a house, without food and without water, you don't know if your family & friends are still alive, you hear some gunshots at every corner and you don't know how much time you'll still be alive.

International help comes in little bit by little bit.

I can't even imagine what happens there, how I would feel... I'd like to help but I can't do anything except donations, and at the moment I don't think they need money, they only need food & water.

This country is already poor, they don't need disasters like that.
Some people say there will be at least 100 000 deaths, some other says 40 000 - 50 000, no matter how much deaths it's still too much.

And during this time some stupid people (like Pat Robertson) say it's because they had a pact with the devil 200 years ago.

I JUST CAN'T BELIEVE IT.
jwellsy
Video images of gang looting are already starting to appear on the news. I wonder how long it will take till the words 'marshal law' are used.
Nick2008
This is a very sudden, unexpected strong earthquake that hit the Caribbean nation of Haiti. Looking at the videos and photos it is obvious that this is a total disaster and has brought Haiti down to it's knees. With so many deaths estimated, there's no telling how many more will be found and how many will die in hospitals. I wish for the best for Haitians and their families, this is totally devastating.
deanhills
jwellsy wrote:
Video images of gang looting are already starting to appear on the news. I wonder how long it will take till the words 'marshal law' are used.
Right. I'm almost certain that that is going to be the greatest challenge, as when relief workers are dispensing food and water, people are literally fighting over it, endangering everyone's lives. They will probably be needing some sort of marshall law anyway, and help from the military.
azoundria
Heck, there was looting and pillaging when the two hurricanes hit the US.

And all anyone ever does is throw money and supplies at their feet. Go down to Haiti and help them rebuild if you really want to help.
deanhills
azoundria wrote:
Heck, there was looting and pillaging when the two hurricanes hit the US.

And all anyone ever does is throw money and supplies at their feet. Go down to Haiti and help them rebuild if you really want to help.
Agreed. There is looting and pillaging anywhere in the world where there are natural disasters, but in Port-au-Prince all of the infrastructure has been wiped out. Nothing left for law and order. Add to this a country that has been poor and destitute to begin with, there is a real recipe for disaster. How do you suggest that the country be rebuilt? Especially if it had been in tatters even before the earthquake disaster?
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
How do you suggest that the country be rebuilt? Especially if it had been in tatters even before the earthquake disaster?

All aid money should be used to employ locals for rebuilding. That wouldn't solve everything, but it would be a good start.
airh3ad
If i had a lot of money i will donate it to the aid for haiti. Imagine it is being reported that over 100,000 people have died as a result of yesterday's massive 7.0-magnitude earthquake in Haiti!
The situation in Haiti is dire, and will only get worse over time. It is the poorest nation in the western hemisphere, so it is up to wealthier countries to try to lend support. The United States will undoubtedly play a major role in the recovery effort, but I hope everyone remembers that the United States also has its own problems, like a high unemployment rate and Americans struggling to support their families!
Ive heard everyone remembers and Americans are sending checks in large numbers. They also remember that we're the richest in the hemisphere, and the poorest of us is better off than all but a hadnful of Haitians. The hundred million pledged is about 33 cents per American.
Americans have big Liberal hearts, for the most part. God help us help people of haiti!
deanhills
Haiti is among the poorest in the world. Almost like exchanging one degree of misery by another much more intense and worse one, but at least getting some relief for the much worse one, whereas before it was just noted as a very poor country. Why does it always take a disaster before a country gets enough help? I would imagine that a great number of the deaths were as a result of very sub-standard housing and overcrowded conditions. Something similar to what had happened with the poor communities in Mississippi?

Quote:
By most economic measures, Haiti is the poorest country in the Americas. It had a nominal GDP of 7.018 billion USD in 2009, with a GDP per capita of 790 USD, about $2 per person per day.

It is an impoverished country, one of the world's poorest and least developed. Comparative social and economic indicators show Haiti falling behind other low-income developing countries (particularly in the hemisphere) since the 1980s. Haiti now ranks 149th of 182 countries in the United Nations Human Development Index (2006). About 80% of the population were estimated to be living in poverty in 2003.[58] Most Haitians live on $2 or less per day. Haiti has 50% illiteracy,and over 80% of college graduates from Haiti have emigrated, mostly to the United States. Cité Soleil is considered one of the worst slums in the Americas, most of its 500,000 residents live in extreme poverty. Poverty has forced at least 225,000 children in Haiti's cities into slavery, working as unpaid household servants

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haiti
the-guide
Haiti Earthquake Relief

-----
deanhills
Thought this political cartoon said it all:
LimpFish
deanhills wrote:
Thought this political cartoon said it all:

That sure is thoughtful
Flakky
I'm glad so many organisations in Holland alone are there to help.
nigam
i am so sad to this natural disaster hit in Haiti....so many innocent and children died...they never had a chance to see more the world what will it looked like in many years....my condolences to the families...
crimson_aria
This is very very sad. We recently experienced a great flood over here and it's already very tragic, what more if ti was an earthquake. I pray for them. I hope they find their way.
LimpFish
What is the official death count? Or is there any? I've heard this was even worse than the tsunami in Southeast Asia in 2005 (or what year it was?)
deanhills
LimpFish wrote:
What is the official death count? Or is there any? I've heard this was even worse than the tsunami in Southeast Asia in 2005 (or what year it was?)
The death toll from the tsunami was approx 283,000 and that of the Earthquake in Haiti estimated at approx 150,000. The latter figure can still change of course, and accurate numbers are probably difficult in the present chaotic conditions with no infrastructure.