FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Love & Friendship

mhamad84
And interesting disc
Can friendship between two different-gendered individuals turn to love-ship?

In the other hand, can love-ship between couples turn to be friendship if love ends?

What do you think?

Arrow
I think friendship between two different-gendered individuals can turn to be love, but if this love ends, friendship follows.
mk12327
It depends alot on the individuals themselves. Regardless of any relationship, be it kinship, friendship or romantic relationship, both parties have to put in the effort to maintain it. Likewise, for a friendship to develop into romantic relationship or for an ended romantic relationship to continue as friendship, both parties have to play a part.

Most of the time, the romantic relationship has to end peacefully for a friendship to be possible. There are also times where they break contact for months or years, before becoming friends again.
.you.make.my.heart.happy.
I believe that both are possible, but not always easy. If you are friends with someone and then eventually become romantically involved. Well sure, that happens. But if that doesn't work out, trying to go back as friends can be difficult and the friendship will never be the same as it was in the beginning.
So I believe trying to be friends after a relationship is harder than making a relationship work with someone who is already a good friend.
babarus
love without frindship doesn.t exist..... i know that
mhamad84
.you.make.my.heart.happy. wrote:
I believe that both are possible, but not always easy. If you are friends with someone and then eventually become romantically involved. Well sure, that happens. But if that doesn't work out, trying to go back as friends can be difficult and the friendship will never be the same as it was in the beginning.
So I believe trying to be friends after a relationship is harder than making a relationship work with someone who is already a good friend.

i aggree.

babarus wrote:

Right, now the question is, is loyal friendship after broken-love-ship between the same couple posible?
.you.make.my.heart.happy.
babarus wrote:

I agree that love without friendship doesn't work. They go hand in hand.

mhamad84 wrote:
Right, now the question is, is loyal friendship after broken-love-ship between the same couple posible?

Well that can happen but space and time is normally a necessity if it is really going to work.
zbale
I guess most people agree on what they understand by "friendship" (though there may be different opinions) but there seems to be various ideas of what love is in the posts above.

Like several people above, the way I see it, love must be, first of all, the strongest, most indestructible friendship. Else it's not really love in my opinion. But in fact I don't claim to have a monopoly on the definition of love, I'm just saying that's the way I want to lead my life, I understand that different people will have different answers.

About whether you can be friends with someone you once were in love with, if we look around it seems some people do and some people don't. So I guess the answer is yes we can, but from my experience it requires some effort on the part of both parties.
[FuN]goku
Hm, I had a friend that I knew for 10+ years. We were in band together, had the same classes and knew each other quite well. And just last year I asked her out. So, all was well at first.. But in the end, it lead to me getting dumped DURING prom..... Yeah....... Not so nice... but we're still friends.
natilovesmike
I think it depends on the different personalities and how deep the bond in the friendship or love relationship was. I actually have friends from the opposite sex and I love them, but I would never have a love relationship with them.

I don't think I am friends with any of my past boyfriends and right now I am in the middle of a separation with my husband with whom I though I had the deepest bond anyone could ever have with somebody else...so, after what happened...and I don't know how this is going to end...but I know that I will never be able to be just friends with him....I would have to have it all or nothing.
crimson_aria
I've always wanted friendship first before anything else. Because I believe that friendship is the foundation of a great love. And if that love ends, there is still friendship. But I also know that it doesn't always work that way. As long as the other still has feelings, friendship might be difficult and soemtimes the only way to probabaly make it work is to distance ones self from the other until they both have let go and moved on. I do admire people who become friends even after they've broken up. It just seems like a very good ending to a relationship.
macky
babarus wrote:
love without frindship doesn.t exist.....

i agree with that... it should always start on a friendship so that you may know with each other that

you are compatible now...
mk12327
macky wrote:
babarus wrote:
love without frindship doesn.t exist.....

i agree with that... it should always start on a friendship so that you may know with each other that

you are compatible now...

I beg to differ. It may not be true sometimes as we might form wrong impressions of a person, thinking that he/she is compatible; and there are cases where people treat their other half differently compared to friends. (Some are more willing to share their weak side to their other half, while others are more manipulative / demanding / possessive towards their other half)
dapopeyoh
Well yes, I think it is possibly for friendship between to individuals to turn into love but most of the time, when love ends, there is no friendship. But that totally depends on the reason the love was ended. If it was ended in a violent way, I don't think there is the possibility of friendship. But if if ended peacefully, maybe just maybe there could be friendship.
zbale
I guess many people will say, "if there is no friendship, it's not real love", so even though we probably wouldn't define love as something that includes friendship (we tend to distinguish and even oppose them), maybe we actually consider, deep down, that it does (or should) include it.
voste
it maybe ruin the friendship if the love stuff not working
zbale
voste wrote:
it maybe ruin the friendship if the love stuff not working

I looove that expression, "the love stuff" Very Happy
BigGeek
I'm LOL at the posts, during prom? OMG prom was 33 years ago. And believe me anything that happened back then seems so trivial! It is only because of "facebook" that I have re-connected with some of those people from High School. I promise you, none of them at this point in their lives remembers any of the things that drove us to get with someone, or break up with someone. It was all so long ago, and seems so trivial at this point in our lives.

Can you love without friendship....OH YEAH! You better be able to love with all your heart those you will never see again, because when loved ones DIE! you never stop loving them, or missing them, you just learn to live with the love you have for them, knowing that in this lifetime you will never ever see them again.

Funny how age, and death seem to change all the stupid beliefs you have, and the things that you seemed so sure of with youth fade with age.

Once you love someone, even when they have hurt you or broken your heart with rejection, there comes a time when forgiveness and general love for them take hold in your consciousness, and the trivial beliefs from your younger years of how "love should be" disappear into the wave of the past.
mshafiq
I think friendship can turn into love-ship but not the other way.
Why?
When people love, that is the destination of friendship but when love ends that is generally the end of even compromises. so love ends with/in terrible heart broken condition.
So how friendship can continue.
The only possibility is if both realize that we were really good to each other and fought on baseless or non=important matters Then they can become friends again and probably more realistic ones and probably they will fall into love anymore but may remain good friends for ever.
However the key point is love end then little or more gap of time then friendship may start/restart.

It is really not a sudden change.

good Luck!
zbale
BigGeek wrote:
I'm LOL at the posts, during prom? OMG prom was 33 years ago. And believe me anything that happened back then seems so trivial! It is only because of "facebook" that I have re-connected with some of those people from High School. I promise you, none of them at this point in their lives remembers any of the things that drove us to get with someone, or break up with someone. It was all so long ago, and seems so trivial at this point in our lives.

Did you get a chance to discuss this with them? My assumption is that some actually do remember the romantic phases we went trough. No?

Actually, you're mentioning the prom. Where I come from there wasn't any so I'd be curious to know if, to the best of your knowledge, some of the couples that were formed at the time are still together today (you know, the old romantic clich้...)?
Humanista
As writed above, is possible, but not with anyone. Each person understand and feel the change of relationship for a self way. I tell two experiences with exgirlsfriends.

On the first, I quite feel my love to break down. I don't feel love with her, but I wanted be her friend. Not works. She was so emotionally dependent of me that a friendship for her was impossible. She thought win back my love by anyway, even I told her this is not possible - blindness for love. She never look in my face again.

In the second, I love my girlfriend (ex) so deeply and unconscious that I could not organize my life without her. But she isn't certain about her feelings. Then we separate and come togheter many times. This ever hurts me. Really outch!
In the last time, I evade to find her in the university or anywhere to suffer no more. He angry to me for this. She told me sometimes wish be a friend.

Well my people, love relationships are complicated, but we don't talk live without it.
Hugs Smile
greamelexon
I think both are possible, but not always easy. If you are a friend of someone and then end up romantically involved. Well, sure that happens. But if this fails, try to come back as friends can be difficult and friendship will never be the same that was in the beginning.
zbale
Funny how different people define love and friendship and their interaction (possibly linked or included one in the other, or excluding one another...). We should have a world survey like "Define: Love & Friendship" Smile
sudipbanerjee
After ending love, friendship! is it possible? I don't think so