FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How to determine the winner of a competition?

Bondings
There are a lot of ways to determine the winner, one of the ways is me (or the staff) choosing the winner. I guess maybe sometimes this will be used. However I think it's a lot more fun if everyone is able to decide it.

Anyway, I was thinking about 2 rounds of votes. The first round everyone selects their top X solutions (with X in most cases 3-5, but this can depend on the type of competition). Then the top candidates (like 5 or 10) of the first round are taken and everyone can once again vote, this time only for one candidate. The candidate with the most votes wins the competition.

About who may vote, I would like to make it only possible for users with a certain amount of posts (like at least 25) to vote to eliminate most cheating.

However, what about the staff and what about the users participating in the competition? Should they be allowed to vote too?

Should the vote results be visible during the voting?

Should the voting be anonymous or should the votes be completely visible to everyone? If anonymous, what about the staff; it would certainly be good for supervision to see them, but maybe this is not preferred?

Anyway, what do you think about this? Any improvements, comments, alternatives?
deanhills
Bondings wrote:
About who may vote, I would like to make it only possible for users with a certain amount of posts (like at least 25) to vote to eliminate most cheating.
I would make it at least 100. 25 looks a bit little and less serious.

Quote:
However, what about the staff and what about the users participating in the competition? Should they be allowed to vote too?
You did not mention whether you will be appointing a small panel of judges for each competition. Which could consist of you, 1 or 2 staff, and maybe 1 or 2 Frihosters whom you think would be OK for that particular competition. If you intend to have a small panel like that, perhaps they should be excluded from the first two rounds of voting. Following the second session of voting, judges could confirm whether they are in agreement with the outcome of the voting. If not, then there could be a final third voting session among the judges only. The panel of judges would safeguard against votes that could have gone strange during the first two voting sessions, either because no one voted, or any other discrepancies.

Quote:
It may complicate things, especially if the votes should have gone strange for any one of a number of reasons.

Quote:
Should the voting be anonymous or should the votes be completely visible to everyone? If anonymous, what about the staff; it would certainly be good for supervision to see them, but maybe this is not preferred?
Perhaps it could be optional, as I am certain that there may be situations where one would prefer to be anonymous, and if there is no choice, may decide not to vote. If the voting can be connected with a thread, such as in the poll we had for the Frihost Ranks, those who would like to say who they voted for and why, can still do so if they wish to do that. And those who would like to remain anonymous can simply do the voting only. Hopefully in the end everyone could also have an opportunity to congratulate the winners and thank the judges.
Bondings
deanhills wrote:
Bondings wrote:
I would make it at least 100. 25 looks a bit little and less serious.

The point is that I want everyone to be able to vote. Even if it is simply to get a decent number of votes.
Quote:
Quote:
You did not mention whether you will be appointing a small panel of judges for each competition. Which could consist of you, 1 or 2 staff, and maybe 1 or 2 Frihosters whom you think would be OK for that particular competition. If you intend to have a small panel like that, perhaps they should be excluded from the first two rounds of voting. Following the second session of voting, judges could confirm whether they are in agreement with the outcome of the voting. If not, then there could be a final third voting session among the judges only. The panel of judges would safeguard against votes that could have gone strange during the first two voting sessions, either because no one voted, or any other discrepancies.

I wouldn't really like to have a panel of users for it. Simply me and possibly some other staff members looking for abnormalities. If one of the worst submissions gets the most votes, then the votes should get checked. However, I doubt this will often be the case.
Quote:
Quote:
It may complicate things, especially if the votes should have gone strange for any one of a number of reasons.

If the votes are strange, then other people might notice it and alert me about it. Although it might help for objectivity.
Quote:
Quote:
Perhaps it could be optional, as I am certain that there may be situations where one would prefer to be anonymous, and if there is no choice, may decide not to vote. If the voting can be connected with a thread, such as in the poll we had for the Frihost Ranks, those who would like to say who they voted for and why, can still do so if they wish to do that. And those who would like to remain anonymous can simply do the voting only. Hopefully in the end everyone could also have an opportunity to congratulate the winners and thank the judges.

I'll most likely make a topic about the voting, so in any case you can talk about it as much as you like in there. What about storing the votes, but making them only visible to the staff for auditing (like the frih$ log, which I check at most a few times a year)?

Oh and I forgot, what about changing your votes? Like when you read something in the discussion topic and change your mind?
ocalhoun
Bondings wrote:

Anyway, I was thinking about 2 rounds of votes. The first round everyone selects their top X solutions (with X in most cases 3-5, but this can depend on the type of competition). Then the top candidates (like 5 or 10) of the first round are taken and everyone can once again vote, this time only for one candidate. The candidate with the most votes wins the competition.

Two rounds of voting will take a long time, but it could be done, I suppose.
Quote:

Very reasonable, though, unlike deanhills, I would make the number even lower. No reason to make very new members feel like non-persons. (A cheater dedicated enough to make 10 posts on a fake account just to add one vote would probably also be dedicated enough to make 25 fraudulent posts... And if you're still worried about it, you could query the database for multiple users with the same IP, then cross-index that with the list of people who voted. -any user that appears on both lists would warrant a very close inspection.)

Quote:

It doesn't really matter at the basic level.
Quote:

It should be available to everyone to 'audit' after voting is over, in any case. Maybe even a spiffy line graph showing each entry's votes in a different color plotted against time?
Oh, and may I suggest making it impossible to vote for one's own entry? That way, instead of having just an automatic vote for each entry, each contestant would be an extra (valid) voter.
Quote:

Anyway, what do you think about this? Any improvements, comments, alternatives?

Instead of having two polls, I would have a selection (done by one staff member), then a poll.
The selection wouldn't be to pick 3 or 5 nominees though, the selection would just weed out all the very-low-quality and doesn't-follow-the-rules category entries, then send all the good ones to be voted on.
(The longer it takes to view each entry to make an informed vote, the fewer entries there should be that make it to round 2.) For a short story competition, there should be very few voting options. For an image contest, there can be plenty.
Quote:

Referencing the previous quote-response, the staff member doing the round 1 selections should not participate, but all the others should be allowed.
(As long as they don't use mod-powers to mess with the other entries, that is. You might want to make the contests within a special forum where only very few people have mod powers and the same few are the only ones who can create a topic.)

Bondings wrote:

Oh and I forgot, what about changing your votes? Like when you read something in the discussion topic and change your mind?

That should be available, if it isn't too difficult to code.
deanhills
@Bondings. Agreed with your counter-suggestions, also Ocalhoun, as per usual, came up with some great ideas. Reason why I thought the number of postings should be slightly higher is that people who do not have a clue of how Frihost works yet, may muck up the voting by flooding it with votes for the sake of voting without understanding what they are voting for. For example, I've noted some reckless Newbie Frihosters during their first postings, who may likely cast a vote just "for fun", instead of thinking about it. Usually those Newbie Frihosters don't last either, they sort of fade away by 10 or more postings.

@Ocalhoun. Would auditing be really necessary? Along the lines of keeping things simple? I like your idea of a staff member getting rid of the "dead wood" among the nominations and then the two voting sessions as suggested by Bondings. The suggestion for a fancy graph is also right on with showing the number of votes against the nominations. Hopefully the voters would be anonymous on a public level and visible to the staff only?

Bondings wrote:
I'll most likely make a topic about the voting, so in any case you can talk about it as much as you like in there. What about storing the votes, but making them only visible to the staff for auditing (like the frih$ log, which I check at most a few times a year)?
Sounds like a great idea. Although staff would probably be in a better position to comment on the usefulness. May be a treasure trove for stats one day to indicate which topics are more popular and those Frihosters who are participating regularly.

Bondings wrote:
Agreed with Ocalhoun, if it is possible to code it. Maybe similar to the option that we have for editing our postings?