FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Battery lifetime

iyepes
I don't know if should put this here or in support, but here it goes.

What can affect the battery lifetime. My Dell laptop has one year and half and the battery lasts only 1 hour now. I will have to buy a new one.

Some students told me that working with the battery plugged reduces its lifetime, so they unplug the battery when they are going to use power from an electric outlet, and use it only when there's no power available. They charge the battery with the laptop turned off. That sounds very strange to me, but the fact is that my battery needs to be replaced now, their batteries are 6 months "younger" than mine, I don't know if they will suffer the same than me in few months.

Does anyone knows what kind of things can shorten you battery lifetime?
william
There are a number of things you can do to reduce battery life.

-Overcharging is a no no. Do not keep the battery plugged into AC for long durations, remove it.
-If you charge to 100%, do not recharge it until it's drained to below 50%
-Ideally, you want to exercise the battery at least once in a while, so charge to 100% and go all the way down to 0%.
-If you don't use it, charge to 50% and store it in a cool place.

I know a number of people who leaved their batteries plugged in all the time. This is the biggest killer. For example, I bought a laptop about the same time someone else did. Both of ours started out with about 3.5 hours of juice. After two years, the other person can go 1 hour, while I can go 2 hours and 45 minutes. The difference? I did what is mentioned above. All Lithium-Ion batteries deteriorate, but these steps help maintain their life. After one year of use I was only down to about 3 hours 15 minutes, which isn't half bad.
aningbo
Quote:
There are a number of things you can do to reduce battery life.

-Overcharging is a no no. Do not keep the battery plugged into AC for long durations, remove it.
-If you charge to 100%, do not recharge it until it's drained to below 50%
-Ideally, you want to exercise the battery at least once in a while, so charge to 100% and go all the way down to 0%.
-If you don't use it, charge to 50% and store it in a cool place.

I know a number of people who leaved their batteries plugged in all the time. This is the biggest killer. For example, I bought a laptop about the same time someone else did. Both of ours started out with about 3.5 hours of juice. After two years, the other person can go 1 hour, while I can go 2 hours and 45 minutes. The difference? I did what is mentioned above. All Lithium-Ion batteries deteriorate, but these steps help maintain their life. After one year of use I was only down to about 3 hours 15 minutes, which isn't half bad.

over charging?? my macbook pro of about 6 months is always kept charging. it says
"Battery is charged. Power Source: Power Adapter"

which means m not using the battery at all. but i gotta look up on google for this info. thanx for the heads up
ForceRun
A lot of batteries will be dead after a year or two, just a problem with the tech. Doing what william said should give your battery a bit more life but ever then I don't see most standard batteries lasting long than 2 years.
william
Well, technically most modern notebooks will prevent overcharging from occuring. However, leaving the battery in the notebook at full charge creates two problems. First, it causes excess charge cycles. And second, it puts the battery in a high temperature environment. Higher temperatures will cause the batteries to age quicker.
Diablosblizz
aningbo wrote:
over charging?? my macbook pro of about 6 months is always kept charging. it says
"Battery is charged. Power Source: Power Adapter"

which means m not using the battery at all. but i gotta look up on google for this info. thanx for the heads up

Just so you know, MacBooks don't use lithium-ion, they use lithium-polymer. Methods may change if they take effect at all. Plus, if you have the unibody Macbook you can't remove the battery. Laughing
iyepes
william wrote:
Well, technically most modern notebooks will prevent overcharging from occuring. However, leaving the battery in the notebook at full charge creates two problems. First, it causes excess charge cycles. And second, it puts the battery in a high temperature environment. Higher temperatures will cause the batteries to age quicker.

Your explanation makes sense to me, probably heat was my battery killer. This laptop heats like hell, or near to it......
william
Hmm, have you ever cleaned out the fans and the vents during your ownership? If it's heating up excessively, that could be one way to cool it down and lengthen it's lifespan. Very Happy

Now, it probably won't save your battery from it's natural deterioration, but it should prove to have a good effect on other components.
Bondings
What I do if I think that there is a lot of dust in the fans/vents of a laptop, is use a vacuum cleaner close to the vents. It seems to remove at least some of the dust and may help prevent quite some overheating.

Although please be careful while doing this and don't use full power, certainly not at first. Don't use it over the laptop keyboard since they keys may end up in the vacuum cleaner and certainly do not use it if you completely opened the laptop (in that case you might be able to remove it with your hands). However, holding it at the outside of the vents should normally be safe.
deanhills
iyepes wrote:
Your explanation makes sense to me, probably heat was my battery killer. This laptop heats like hell, or near to it......
Where I am in the UAE, one can buy laptop trays with fans that are installed in the base of the trays. There are some cute designs where you can get laptop trays with feet, including space for a mouse if you want to use your laptop with a mouse.

Bottomline however, it looks as though you need a new battery. Think they say if the battery time is below half it should be for the time it has been manufactured to work, then you need to buy a new one. There are obviously also tips to make the battery last longer, like "dimming" your LCD brightness, and disabling the devices you are not using. Then William's tips about how to use the battery are right on, however maybe it is a bit too late for the battery you have right now. Maybe you can use those tips for your new battery. With prices for laptops as low as they are these days relative to the high prices of batteries (if you can find those batteries) however I'd probably even think about getting a new laptop.
weableandbob
The more a battery is used and recharged, the more it deteriorates. So, the more you use your laptop, the faster that battery's going to die out.
erlendhg
You should also read the guidelines for your battery, if it came together with it when you got it.
I know some batteries that may decrease in capacity if you discharge them all the way to 0% too often, and some other batteries that does the exactly opposite.
malcolmpreen
When I bought my replacement battery, I was advised to completely cycle the battery at least three times.... ie.... from 100 to 0, charge to 100, back to 0, charge to 100, back to 0, charge to 100.

I've also been advised (not sure how true this is) that if you start charging it, you should complete the charge cycle (ie get the battery back up to 100).

This point can be tricky... if for example it takes 3 hours to charge.... and you are only in a location for 2 hours... with a flat battery...

Obviously, you don't HAVE to do it every time.... but I was told that this was another life extending trick.

Any comments on the validity of the advice I was given would be appreciated..

Thanks, Malcolm
snowboardalliance
So do modern laptops actually let batteries overcharge if they are always plugged in? I can see heat being a problem, but I rarely run my battery on my Dell XPS m1530. Of course, when I do (every few weeks) I try to run it down and fully charge it. However, I haven't tested the battery life much lately.

I'm thinking of getting a tablet netbook or something eventually though for a more mobile pc that I can take notes on in class.
iyepes
I acquired the habit lately to not plug my battery unless I have the full time to charge it, then I prefer unplugging the batery and connect directly to AC power.

I had to bought a new battery to replace the one that does not charge enough, very expensive BTW.
soljarag
a few years ago I had my dell plugged in all summer.... and that totally killed my battery. So i can totally confirm thats true ... i learned my lesson...
lightwate
This happened to me also, both my laptop and my cellphone. After 2 years, my compaq presario's fully charged battery can now run only up to 30 minutes. Now, my windows 7 says "There is a problem with your battery, so your computer might shutdown suddenly" and "Consider replacing your battery".

If you have windows 7, you can use the
Code:
powercfg -energy
command to test your battery for errors and stuff. (Run the command line as administrator)

after 2 years of overnight charging my phone, the battery decided to live for only 1 day per charge. After replacing it, i swore never to overcharge it again and now i get twice the battery life i think.

so yeah, overcharging is bad. i just don't get why they don't make smart chargers that automatically turn off when the battery is full :\
ProwerBot
lightwate wrote:

so yeah, overcharging is bad. i just don't get why they don't make smart chargers that automatically turn off when the battery is full :\

I'm pretty sure there are modern laptops that do so. I believe the Macbook series from apple does.
lightwate
Quote:

I'm pretty sure there are modern laptops that do so. I believe the Macbook series from apple does.

oh yeah i just read about it. The apple macbook automatically stops charging your battery when it reaches 100% and lets it drain to about 96% before it continues charging again. That method prevents it from overcharging, which is a faster way to shorten battery life.

But then, leaving a macbook plugged causes it to enter this drain and charge cycle which still shortens battery life - just not as fast Very Happy
dazzsser
I use my notebook as a Desktop so i leave the battery out and use the power directly from the source, which i think is a good idea if you use your notebook as a Desktop
FunDa
dazzsser wrote:
I use my notebook as a Desktop so i leave the battery out and use the power directly from the source, which i think is a good idea if you use your notebook as a Desktop

My friend takes this to more extreme levels because after his laptop battery became bad, he couldn't afford to replace it for $100.

So, he bought a UPS backup for $15 and used the laptop like a desktop.

He also has a USB mouse and keyboard too, so the laptop is pretty much just a CPU and monitor
welshsteve
From my own personal exerience both at home, and in the workplace, laptop battery lifetime is just rubbish. I've tried many makes of laptop, and they all don't last very long. They say you should use the battery as much as possible, running it right down before re-charging, but this isn't always practical.