FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

AMD VS. Intel

knskater
Hey i want to but a new laptop but im not sure if i should get a AMD or Intel processor. What one do you think is better.?
nhl4000
Well I like AMD, it's also cheaper. That is me, somebody else may like Intel for several reasons. But, I would buy an AMD over an Intel. Not all the time though.
izcool
I would go for Intel if I were to get a laptop. I'm not much of an AMD fan.

I have a buddy online who's into AMD. It's up to you to make your decision when you buy.

BTW, don't go for Celeron, it's not worth it. It's the cheaper version of the Pentium (Centrino is similar to Pentium M, where the processor doesn't suck much battery when it's unplugged), it lasts a shorter lifespan, and can't do operations as quickly as a Pentium or a Centrino can.

- Mike.
Boles Roor
The AMD Mobile processors are really good.
At school we have notebooks and we have older AMD's and newer Intels. Still the AMD powered notebooks are still faster Smile
gino0
Im running a AMD Duron 750mhz, shits pretty fast with xp. Play CS1.6 Without much lag. I love amd! much much cheaper and reilable
mark
Here's something. I read in a magazine about some competition between AMD and Intel. It said that AMD beat Intel in everything. I suggest you go for AMD Athlon 64 processor, which is much better than Pentium 4 and if you want a notebook, then go for AMD Sempron Mobile which is damn good. Definitely superior to Pentium M.
prithvi
Since I am into graphics and animation, I've been using AMD for over 3 years now, with no probs whatsoever.
Its cheaper than Intel and has put up a stiff competition with the latter.
samh
If it was for a desktop I would certainly have recommend AMD.
Fast(er) processor, cheaper and very good architucture.
But for a laptop I'm not that sure. There are two main issues:
First, AMD processors generally produce more heat. This is not a major problem for a desktop, however in a laptop it may be very problematic. You don't wanna have a cooking surface on your lap. Smile It also decreases the lifetime of your machine.
Another problem is battery life: Centrino processors have extensively optimized to consume less energy and give you extra long battery life (up to 9 hours) I'm not so sure if AMD mobile processor is as efficient.
Finally your choices will be quite limited if you only consider AMD: as far as I know only Acer, Compaq and Averatec produce AMD laptops and they normally use AMD processors on their budget notebooks. (Acer Ferrari is an exception).
Recently AMD released a new line of Sampron 64 bit processors that you may wanna look into.

Good luck with your choice
wuggizle
Desktop PC's always go for AMD64 +.. but for mobile procesors intel processors are much better. Avoid celeron all together, but Intel mobile 760+ processors have equal peformance to intels flagship processors, but run at a cooler quiter 1.6ghz-1.9ghz (dependin on which model you buy). I hear that they are also good for gaming.
Donutey
izcool wrote:

BTW, don't go for Celeron, it's not worth it. It's the cheaper version of the Pentium (Centrino is similar to Pentium M, where the processor doesn't suck much battery when it's unplugged), it lasts a shorter lifespan, and can't do operations as quickly as a Pentium or a Centrino can.

the celeron gernerally will be a lower clockspeed than pentium m, but sometimes can have better battery life because of this lower speed

what are you using the notebook for DTR? or using it while traveling? gaming? word processing?

AMD is >starting< to have a good offering in the ultra light laptops area ( such as pentium M, and btw the pentium m is the processor used in a centrino system (which include intel wireless, and chipset) the pentium m is a next generation pIII processor with the P4 FSB.

If DTR then go AMD 64bit, if not go for intel right now, but the turion 64 will be a MAJOR contender in the coming months... ( and it has 64bit capability, something the pentium m doesnt have currently)
izcool
I agree with Donutey on the comment above this one. I meant that Celerons have a shorter life span as they're made much cheaper than the Pentium's are. Generally (as I have heard) a Pentium computer lasts a few more years longer than a Celeron computer. I didn't think about that Celerons consuming less battery life as they're a lot slower. Laughing

- Mike.
lrdslr
I have a Athlon 64 3000... its good...

and hot! hehe...

Smile
Anttu^^
AMD rules.. Cheaper faster in games and stays cool Cool
Donutey
izcool wrote:
I agree with Donutey on the comment above this one. I meant that Celerons have a shorter life span as they're made much cheaper than the Pentium's are. Generally (as I have heard) a Pentium computer lasts a few more years longer than a Celeron computer. I didn't think about that Celerons consuming less battery life as they're a lot slower. Laughing

- Mike.

yea your right the celeron based systems are essentially the rejected pentium m's so they don't last as long. >some< celerons use less energy mostly because they are ultra low voltage and have a much lower clock speed to be able to run at that lower voltage.
Kitsune
I suggest AMD.. intel celeron processors are not good for gaming or physics for that matter celeron does not have the required <i think> internal code to process it. Twisted Evil
DJ Dooms Day
Normally i would suggest an AMD, as it indeed does perform better than an Intel and they are generally cheaper. But since your wanting a laptop then i'd suggest an Intel, hands down. The mobile pentiums generally perform a lot better, run quiter (the fan does, anyway), create less heat and most important of all, have great power saving features.
Kd527
If it's a laptop do Intel. Otherwise I would say AMD.
Hikaru7
I'm a big fan of AMD, and I say that AMD is the way to go. But for laptops, I'm not so sure bout it. I think Turion 64 is starting to shape up, but Intel is more energy efficient for laptops. Like donutey said, it depends on what type of laptop its going to be. Theres no point of having a DTR with centrino if its going to be plugged in all day.
Helios
My advise to ye:

Read tons of reviews and comparison articles(for example: "inter vs. amd") before you decide.
Donutey
Kitsune wrote:
I suggest AMD.. intel celeron processors are not good for gaming or physics for that matter celeron does not have the required <i think> internal code to process it. Twisted Evil

uhh... physics?

i don't think this thread will ever end lol... Rolling Eyes
mars
I love AMD .

now I use AMD Duron 1G.
sergio_ykz
I Like AMD, because my first computer, a AMD DX2 66 MHz, then a DX4,
now I have a AMD Duron 1300 Mhz and its is really cool, I play many games, run WinXP much greater, the Suse Linux 10, I edit videos and more.

AMD is great cool...
[FuN]goku
AMD rules ! Very Happy
samvig
whatever processor u go in for...
don't buy a compaq notebook...
if u f**k up ur ROM BIOS... they force u to change ur mother board .. sayin they dont' have the hardware for bit-level programming...
araujosam
I really like AMD. But the Intel's HT technology looks really nice!
comsci18
AMD is cheaper than intel
i think amd is good
but intel has high technology
smksa.prefects
Aha...! The most fav topic in every forum on the net...!

I am using intel so of course I think intel is better but my frens told me that amd is good for gaming
golles
AMD Athlon 64 Very Happy
AMD rox
smksa.prefects
golles wrote:
AMD Athlon 64 Very Happy
AMD rox

Wow....a new processor. I guess it quite tough to run a 32bit application
Wd_removed
smksa.prefects wrote:
golles wrote:
AMD Athlon 64 Very Happy
AMD rox

lol Razz

I'm interested in this too as I'm buying a desktop PC soon. My mates and me have always gone for Intel. I have never really considered AMD. But now I seriously am.
guaxa
Sony VAIO use one Intel Centrino. Smile is very good.
xsourcenet
I would go with Intel for something portable... The centrino is pretty nice...I havent really had too much happiness with the new AMD Turion!
Boles Roor
Welliottdude wrote:
smksa.prefects wrote:
golles wrote:
AMD Athlon 64 Very Happy
AMD rox

lol Razz

I'm interested in this too as I'm buying a desktop PC soon. My mates and me have always gone for Intel. I have never really considered AMD. But now I seriously am.

If you're a gamer, AMD is the way to go. Intel runs hotter, and uses more power.

@ smksa
AMD Athlons don't have any problem with 32 bit programs. It'll handle every program. Even 16 bit. I believe it has nothing to do with the CPU but the operating system. If you have Windows XP 64 bit installed, then you can't handle 16bit programs, though, you still can run 32 bit programs I believe.
Just use the regular Windows and you're fine.
dandollinger
AMD is currently winning the processor wars. If you want the best, go with the top line AMD 64 processors. You have to pay close to a grand for one, but htey are well worth it. THey have some decent cheaper processors. If you decide to go with Intel, don't get a Celeron, because they are on the lowest end that you can get. But then again, if you are stuck o nsomthing, my opinion doesn't vount... right? Surprised
theRist
According to me Intel has lost a lot of time making their Itanium processors. During that time AMD made good 64bit processors, and two core processors. Now it is up to Intel to make some real 64bit, and two core processors.
Luis
I prefer intel
I never had amd I always had for processors pentium;)
Maalcari
Ive been using AMD since I discovered it. Great price, performance and durability (I had some issues related to cpu cooler, and several times processor gone to 95ēC and still working stable, no errors Smile ).

Waiter !!!
One AMD to table 4 please !!!

My choice is AMD.