FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Gordon Brown almost ousted

lagoon
The UK Prime Minister, Gordon Brown, was almost ousted in a coup yesterday by some ex-Cabinet ministers. They failed, obviously, but what would happen if somebody else succeeds?

Should he be ousted, and will it do the Labour Party any good if he was to be ousted?
ocalhoun
Did you just say there was a coup attempt in the UK!?!
AftershockVibe
It was a "political coup" (i.e. Not a coup at all). Turned out to be all hype really... just a couple of former cabinet ministers rattling sabres before the (as yet unannounced) general election.

This BBC story has a summary in it:
Quote:
On Wednesday, ex-ministers Patricia Hewitt and Geoff Hoon wrote to all Labour MPs asking them to support a call for a secret ballot on Mr Brown. But few Labour MPs spoke out publicly in support of their move and no cabinet ministers said they backed the call.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8445464.stm
deanhills
My spontaneous response when I read the heading of the thread was ..... jolly good!!!!! Laughing But yes, the way of doing a coup, and pardon me for stereotyping here, is so very typical British politician back-stabbing style. And then when I started to think about it, wonder what the alternative to Brown would be. I think almost any other person would be a wonderful change to his passionate and dramatic fly-off-the-handle behaviour. Maybe it would even be good for Brown to take a holiday from politics. Maybe time to retire. He has been at this for much too long? Both to his detriment as well as the Labour Party and Government in the UK. Most British politicians have a good sense of timing for when to take their leave, and perhaps he has been too much into his own ego to recognize the signs that have been around for quite a while? On a more compassionate note, it has to be tremendously disappointing to him along "est tu Brutus" lines? I guess Stalin had all of that sorted out in a jiffy with no time wasted. Twisted Evil
Bikerman
It was, depending on your view:
a) A massive misjudgement by Hewitt and Hoon
or
b) A case of the cabinet ministers opposed to Brown bottling out at the last minute.

There is little doubt that several members of the Cabinet are dissatisfied with Brown and would like him out before the next election as they feel (with some justification) that he will lead them to defeat.
Milliband and Straw are almost certainly in that camp.
What happened is that Hewitt and Hoon tried to force the issue and the rebels then sat-back to see who would blink first. By the early evening it was becoming clear that nobody wanted to stick their heads above the parapet and Straw, Milliband and others then issued statements of support for Brown (several hours after the challenge).
lagoon
I thought the lukewarm statement of approval from David Miliband was rather interesting. Not really a statement of support at all, more of a statement of not being a rebel. He'll be out straight after the election.

Plus, the shadow cabinet elections that the Labour party holds in opposition will almost definately result in David Miliband being given a junior ministerial role - he's not really popular within the Parliamentary Labour Party.
deanhills
lagoon wrote:
I thought the lukewarm statement of approval from David Miliband was rather interesting. Not really a statement of support at all, more of a statement of not being a rebel. He'll be out straight after the election.

Plus, the shadow cabinet elections that the Labour party holds in opposition will almost definately result in David Miliband being given a junior ministerial role - he's not really popular within the Parliamentary Labour Party.
I did not hear the statement by Miliband. I guess that has to be the negative of him always being so very positive and upbeat in his use of speech. I always thought that he was a big buddie of Brown's to the equivalent of some sort of protege? So who knows, maybe Brown even suggested what he could say after he consulted with Brown?

It has to be pretty serious when your cabinet does not support you, he probably would need to confer with them whether he can count on their support, or if he has enough support, get rid of those who do not support him. But if there is not enough support, he probably would need to think about retirement. Isn't this something however that he might have done to his predecessor Tony Blair? I'm not an expert on this, but maybe someone who is an expert on Tony Blair could comment on this?
lagoon
Aah, Deanhills, what I've heard is that the cabinet ministers have all demanded concessions from Brown for offering their continued support.

Peter Mandelson wanted the top election strategy job, Harriet Harman wanted to be a deputy to Mandelson, Douglas Alexander wanted to keep his job...
medesignz
The coup was started by text messages... haha... imagine that in the history books
ocalhoun
lagoon wrote:
Aah, Deanhills, what I've heard is that the cabinet ministers have all demanded concessions from Brown for offering their continued support.

Peter Mandelson wanted the top election strategy job, Harriet Harman wanted to be a deputy to Mandelson, Douglas Alexander wanted to keep his job...

Now that's politics.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
lagoon wrote:

Now that's politics.
Right! I still think however there was something special along the protege lines with Miliband. Perhaps that is also Miliband's affable ways, such as when he was in the US just after Hilary Clinton had been sworn in as Secretary of State, and was singing all the praises to the point of her hardly getting a word in sideways.

Wonder what the latest news is on Brown. He must be lobbying like crazy right now, or be on a holiday to think things through carefully ?