FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Anti Whaling

paul_indo
Quote:
The crew of the New Zealand trimaran harassing Japanese whalers in the Southern Ocean had to be rescued after their boat was allegedly rammed and sunk by a Japanese ship, anti-whaling group Sea Shepherd Conservation Society says.

The confrontation is thought to have happened early today in the area of Commonwealth Bay off the Adelie Coast of Antarctica.

The former Earthrace boat - now known as the Ady Gil - was captained by Aucklander Pete Bethune and had at least three other New Zealanders and a Dutchman in its crew.

Mr Bethune said before his departure he would not follow previous Sea Shepherd tactics and try to ram Japanese whalers.

Sea Shepherd leader Paul Watson told The Age newspaper the Ady Gill had been cut in half by the Japanese whaler acting as a security vessel for the Japanese fleet.

The $1.5 million high-tech vessel's remains were sinking, but its six-man crew had been rescued and was uninjured, Mr Watson told The Age. He said it was idling in waters near Commonwealth Bay when it was suddenly approached and rammed by the Japanese ship Shonan Maru.

Article continues below

Earlier in the day the fleet was contacted for the first time by the Ady Gil and Sea Shepherd's third vessel, the Bob Barker.

Mr Watson, aboard the society's bigger, but slower ship Steve Irwin, said he was still 500 nautical miles from the scene.

"This seriously escalates the whole situation," he said of the collision.

The Institute of Cetacean Research, which has previously fronted for the whalers, claimed the Ady Gil's crew were launching projectiles at a ship in the fleet, the Nisshin Maru, and attempted to entangle its propellers with rope.

"The research-base vessel Nisshin Maru, currently engaged in the Japanese whale research programme in the Antarctic ... was subject to attack today for about two hours by the New Zealand-registered watercraft Ady Gil," the institute said.

"In a manner similar to their 23 December attack on the Shonan Maru No. 2, at about (7amNZDT) the Ady Gil came to collision distance directly in front of the Nisshin Maru bow repeatedly deploying and towing a rope from its stern with the intent to entangle the Japanese vessel's rudder and propeller."

It said the crew of the New Zealand boat were also shining a green laser light and launching stinkbombs that smelled of rancid butter.

The Nisshin Maru started its water cannons "and proceeded to prevent the Ady Gil coming closer".

The institute claimed the activists' actions were "nothing but felonious behaviour" and potentially threatened the safety of Japanese sailors.

"In addition, their repeated deploying and abandonment of ropes designed to entangle the propeller of our navigating vessels ultimately ends up litter spoiling the Antarctic marine environment."

The Ady Gil was donated to the protest lobby by a Hollywood businessman.

- NZPA

Now I don't know about you but I think Japan's whaling program disguised as science yet selling the meat in the supermarkets is a sham and shameful......But

I just saw this on TV and it looked pretty clear to me that the trimaran waited as the whaling ship passed close in front of it and then accelerated into the side of the whaling ship, thus the damage similar to a head on car crash with the first meter or so of the hull smashed.

Has anyone else seen the video footage?
What do you think?

The anti whaling people seem to be very close to eco terrorists at times or at least very irresponsible, and thereby lose my sympathy and, I believe, harm their cause.
ocalhoun
paul_indo wrote:

The anti whaling people seem to be very close to eco terrorists at times or at least very irresponsible, and thereby lose my sympathy and, I believe, harm their cause.

Indeed they are being very close to eco-terrorists...

Their intent does seem to be eco-terrorist... the only thing that has stopped them from getting that label so far is that they tend to fail.

If they actually succeeded in damaging/sinking a whaling ship, they'd be branded eco-terrorists very quickly.
deanhills
Ha! An idea just occurred to me. How about employing some of the Somalian pirates and let them loose on the Japanese whalers. I genuinely wish that there could be some sort of terrorism in reverse for getting rid of these pesky Japanese whalers. They have been a menace ever since campaigns first started to save some of the whales who are on the list of threatened species. I'm genuinely sorry the Kiwis lost their boat. Hope they carried some decent insurance.
ocalhoun
It would probably be best if it didn't escalate...

If they used the US as a base, the US would either have to crack down on them and shut down all their operations, or be guilty of harboring terrorists... which, given the current situation in certain other places, would be the ultimate hypocrisy.
paul_indo
Here's a link to a fairly clear video of what happened. It appears to me that the Ady Gil accelerated in front of the Jap ship which was unable to avoid a collision. Not as I first thought that they hit the side of the ship.
Look behind the Adi Gil and you can suddenly see the prop wash as it accelerates at the last minute, which puts it directly in front of the other ship.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bbuq0YEIPNU

There are a few different angles on Youtube also if you search Ady Gil
paul_indo
Here's a great video which proves that Greenpeace are liers and full of crap.They deliberately ram a Jap ship but they claimed they were rammed.

The cause is just but the warriors are just a bunch of pirates and thugs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_b_IYQMSvM&NR=1
deanhills
paul_indo wrote:
Here's a great video which proves that Greenpeace are liers and full of crap.They deliberately ram a Jap ship but they claimed they were rammed.

The cause is just but the warriors are just a bunch of pirates and thugs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_b_IYQMSvM&NR=1
Lying is really bad, and if these guys did lie, I'm truly shocked. I expected much more from the Kiwis and I can imagine they will be in enormous trouble in New Zealand, and perhaps have great problems with getting funding, they harmed their own cause in a major way. On the other hand, I'm all for the cause. I still like the idea of letting some Somalian pirates loose in that area. Maybe they need a different approach.
jwellsy
The eco-terrorist boat was financed by Bob Barker the famous TV personality.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/06/sea-shepherd-conservation_n_412962.html
I heard an interview with him today and he admitted to funding a plan to financially ruin the whaling industry. The Japanese claim that the black boat had repeatedly drug a large rope across the whalers path in attempts to snag and ensnare the ships rudder and props.
deanhills
jwellsy wrote:
The Japanese claim that the black boat had repeatedly drug a large rope across the whalers path in attempts to snag and ensnare the ships rudder and props.
Not a bad idea at all! As long as he is honest about it. Twisted Evil
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
jwellsy wrote:
The Japanese claim that the black boat had repeatedly drug a large rope across the whalers path in attempts to snag and ensnare the ships rudder and props.
Not a bad idea at all! As long as he is honest about it. Twisted Evil

It would be a bad idea if it earned them attention from navy ships...

A better idea would be to develop some type of whale-repellent (using sound broadcasts in the water, perhaps?). Then, use that while shadowing whaling ships, preventing those ships from finding any whales.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
A better idea would be to develop some type of whale-repellent (using sound broadcasts in the water, perhaps?). Then, use that while shadowing whaling ships, preventing those ships from finding any whales.
Very sober minded and of course excellent advice. Especially fitting for an organization that has "peace" written in its title. Would the whale-repellent have any negative consequences for the whales though?
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
Would the whale-repellent have any negative consequences for the whales though?

Even if there were some negative consequences, they're probably not quite as negative as the consequences of the whaling ship you're scaring them away from.
silverdown
I like the see a whale slam into a boat and total it... fighting back!!!!!.. I think the thought eating whale is kinda gross
jwellsy
Now Bob Barker's people say they plan to make a citizen's arrest on the whalers.
http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Global-News/2010/0111/Whale-Wars-Sea-Shepherd-Watson-threatens-citizen-arrests-says-donations-pouring-in

They said the same thing in 2008.
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=103x339932
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
deanhills wrote:

Even if there were some negative consequences, they're probably not quite as negative as the consequences of the whaling ship you're scaring them away from.
I was just thinking. Wouldn't whales by now realize the danger of whaling ships? Surely there has to be some "intelligence" along the lines of danger and "loss of life" in association with whaling ships?
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
deanhills wrote:

I was just thinking. Wouldn't whales by now realize the danger of whaling ships? Surely there has to be some "intelligence" along the lines of danger and "loss of life" in association with whaling ships?

Perhaps they can't tell the difference between whaling ships and ordinary ships... Or perhaps they've been safe from predators for so long, they've lost a lot of the 'run away' instinct. Or maybe the whalers are tricky/sneaky...
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Or maybe the whalers are tricky/sneaky...
Probably are ... but am also wondering whether the sensitivity of whales to feelings of danger, such as other animals, is diminished to a certain extent? They are too trusting, or perhaps of their size may feel more invincible than the other species?
azoundria
I do figure it's not in the whalers best interests to make any species go extinct either, as that means they're out of a job. So what's the real problem here?
deanhills
azoundria wrote:
I do figure it's not in the whalers best interests to make any species go extinct either, as that means they're out of a job. So what's the real problem here?
The whalers don't have an appreciation for the whales going extinct. They can only think in terms of one day at a time. While there are whales to trawl, they will keep on trawling, there is no tomorrow, only today for them.
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
azoundria wrote:
The whalers don't have an appreciation for the whales going extinct. They can only think in terms of one day at a time. While there are whales to trawl, they will keep on trawling, there is no tomorrow, only today for them.

Which is why many species of fish are becoming endangered from overfishing.

Come to think of it, that's why whales are so rare now... Because they were over-hunted in the past.

Humans have shown over and over again that they are quite ready to hunt various animals to extinction, and then worry about the consequences later.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Humans have shown over and over again that they are quite ready to hunt various animals to extinction, and then worry about the consequences later.
I genuinely wish we could get licenses to hunt those humans, viz the trawlers. In this case we could hire those Somalian pirates, I'm sure they would do a pretty darn good job, although on the other hand, maybe the trawlers would bribe them to work for them instead? Twisted Evil