FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Improve the registration requirements?

Diablosblizz
I'm just looking in the Software part of the forums and there's tons of spam about video editors and whatnot. They're obviously bots, but they're getting through.

Is there anything possibly left to do in order to add a bit of security for registration?
Ghost Rider103
Yeah, there has been a lot of spam regarding video players. Especially in the software section, like you mentioned.

Not sure what we can do as far as upgrading the registration process. I know there is of course more we can do, but it also can cause us to loose new members, as a lot of times new users are turned off by multiple sign up requirements.

But it may or may not need to be more strict. That's really up to Bondings.

As of now, the best thing you can do is report any spam you see so we can take care of it, incase we don't come across it quick enough.
ocalhoun
There's a mod called 'textual confirmation' for phpbb2...

It asks a question of your choosing, and provides a blank for the answer during the registration process. If the answer matches one of the correct answers you supply, the user can register, otherwise, no go.

When I used that, it dramatically lowered the number of spam-bots that got in.
Bondings
Most likely the sign ups are manual or at least semi-manual, not by bots. If someone wants to register to spam, then it's quite hard to stop that, other than removing it afterwards.
pampoon
FriHost actually has one of the most extensive registration processes that I've seen. I think they do a great job of warding of a lot of potential spammers. But another anti-bot slot won't help because lie Bondings said, it's people who are getting in.
ocalhoun
Bondings wrote:
Most likely the sign ups are manual or at least semi-manual, not by bots.

Are all (or most) of the spammers registering with similar email addresses? I think there's an option to make registration more difficult (ie need approval) for specific email domains.