FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How to avoid posts being google searchable

iyepes
Hi,

Recently I searched my nickname on google and I found some of my posts here in Frihost as a result of the search.

Is there any tool to avoid that you nickname would be google searchable, or at least not your posts?

If no, I woud consider changing my nickname.

Thanks,
Bondings
The point is that I do my best to make these forums indexed by Google and other search engines. And it includes usernames in a lot of places.

Secondly, normally we don't allow username changes as a general rule for 2 reasons. First of all that technically it's rather hard since the username is stored in a lot of places and also used for quotes inside other peoples posts. Changing it not only requires it to be changed in quite some tables, but it renders the forums inconsistent due to people seeming to quote what appears to be someone else. The same for inline quotes, like "as user x mentioned ...".

Of course all the quotes and references can be changed, but not only that is a lot of work, can cause some errors for common usernames, but it's rather invasive to edit other users posts. ("When did I quote that person!?")

For your username, it seems that your username was used at least in 37 topics, according to the search.

Now in your case I can definitely understand that you want to change your nickname since it might be personally identifiable. I guess I should add a severe warning to use a fictitious username without any personally identifiable bits at the register page. However this won't help you.

If you are really desperate in wanting to change your username, then I'll do it, but I can't promise to change all the mentioning of your username by other people.

By the way, it seems like your username is used on a lot of websites according to Google. Is it worth it changing it here when it remains on all of those?
AftershockVibe
I'm afraid that if you post in a public forum then search engines will pick it up. This is true of any forum and even sites like Facebook only have a very tiny level of privacy, implemented in the flimsiest manner.

If I were you I'd just edit the parts you wish to be removed. Of course, you'd still have a problem with direct quotes made by others.

Realistically though, if this is a concern then just try to keep your nickname to yourself. People who you might feasibly care about (e.g. a potential employer) aren't going to go out on a limb googling a username constructed in such a way as yours.
ocalhoun
Using a very common username (or a common word) will at least bury the results in thousands of other non-related results.

If you used 'amsterdam' as a username, for example, any search for your username would be overwhelmed with non-related results about the city.
iyepes
This is my nickname for technicals subjects and I used it here because my main reason to come here was a technical one, to have a site to test my apps.

What worries me the most is that the fifth result in google search is a link direct to my profile, and that link allows anyone (not registered, not logged in) to see all my post. It would be acceptable to me to have an option to avoid not logged in people to see my profile or at least that my profile doesn't show a link to all my post for not logged in people.

Thanks
iyepes
Are you considering this option, that links to posts into profile can be seen only for logged in people? or did your silence means not?
Bondings
iyepes wrote:
Are you considering this option, that links to posts into profile can be seen only for logged in people? or did your silence means not?

It actually means that I forgot to reply, sorry.

I wouldn't mind to make an option to make the user pages only accessible to logged-in users. However, it might not be for the soon future.
Bondings
I have implemented an option to hide your user page/posts page for not logged in users, it is available on the Account page. (@iyepes, I have already enabled it on your account)

http://www.frihost.com/users/Bondings/blog/vp-113557.html
ocalhoun
Bondings wrote:
I have implemented an option to hide your user page/posts page for not logged in users, it is available on the Account page. (@iyepes, I have already enabled it on your account)

You should make an announcement about it... Not everybody lurks the support forums. ^.^
Bondings
ocalhoun wrote:
Bondings wrote:

You should make an announcement about it... Not everybody lurks the support forums. ^.^

It's on my blog, in the Frihost official category. I wasn't sure whether to make it a featured discussion or not. I don't think that many users are interested in it, considering after all this time, this was the first person who asked for it. Do you think I should make it a featured discussion?
AftershockVibe
Bondings wrote:
It's on my blog, in the Frihost official category. I wasn't sure whether to make it a featured discussion or not. I don't think that many users are interested in it, considering after all this time, this was the first person who asked for it. Do you think I should make it a featured discussion?

Given the lack of other pressingly important topics, I think this would be a good thing for users. I had always taken it for granted that everything I post on a forum is going to be indexed by search engines. I will turn this on, however, just because I believe the more privacy the better.

You might want to point out that it isn't bullet-proof either. Robots.txt (or whatever the equivalent method you're using is) doesn't actually enforce privacy, it is just a request to search engines to be nice. Different search engines obey this to different extents and your posts themselves will still be indexed. And of course, if someone is going to the trouble of stalking you then all they need to do is create a frihost account to access the page.

On the other hand, how much is this likely to impact Frihost's ad revenue? I can't see there being a massive uptake, but presumably the content of posts is the only way Frihost draws eyeballs, and therefore ad money to the site.
iyepes
I don't think this will affect Frihost Ad revenue, since it allows post being searchable, what is hidden is the user profile and the page that lists posts from the profile.

Obviously someone can create a profile and enter, but it's the same level of risk one assumes by opening an account on an internet forum.

Thanks for the new feature Smile
Bondings
I have created the featured discussion about it.