FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Moon Junk Seen from Earth?

coolclay
Deanhills posted a informative link to wikipedia about all the junk mankind has left on the moon. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_artificial_objects_on_the_Moon.
This got me thinking about something I saw as a teenager through my telescope. We were looking at the full moon, and near the top of it (from my perspective) we saw a very obvious reflective glare. It was much brighter than the rest of the moon and gave the appearance of light reflected from a metallic object. This was in and around 1996 or so.

I am familiar with the retroreflectors on the moon but don't believe they would be large enough or in the right position to send reflected light from the sun to where I was standing, and looking through a telescope.

My theory is that it was light reflecting off either a metallic part or solar array or some other "moon trash" left up there. I have been unable to find any other reports of similar observations but maybe I am looking in the wrong places.

Has anyone else seen, observed, and read about anything similar to my observations?
coolclay
I forgot to mention the reflection only lasted for a few moments less than a minute if my memory serves me correctly.
BigGeek
So let me get this straight, you were looking through your telescope and from your perspective the top of the orb in the sky had a noticably brighter spot on it, and you only saw it for a few moments and it disappeared. And you are wondering if it could be caused by space junk left on the moon, specifically retroreflectors?

No idea on that one, gotta say, probably why it's the 13th and no ones had anything to say!

Did you search on google to see if they have a map of where the space junk on the moon is?

Could be anything, could be a geologic phenomenon, say for instance when the sun hits it at just the right angle, and set of mountains or canyon or reflects the light more intensely. Could have been the light off the mirror in your telescope, from looking at a full moon, or possibly some other explaination if the space junk research doesn't give any explainations. Although there is always the Alien theory and that the little green men were shinning a mirror at you........ Laughing

As far as space junk on the moon goes, I have read, and heard that people using highpowered telescopes, like say in observatories, are able to actually see the debris left behind from the landings. Maybe they've mapped it out? Maybe I'm off my rocker and they can't see it. BTW I remember thinking......well if tthey can see the space junk through telescopes, then that might be proof that they actually landed on the moon, which would totally invalidate the "conspiracy theory" that the moon landings were a hoax. But that's another subject.
coolclay
I didn't really think anyone would have a definitive answer to my question because my observations were not as scientific as they could have been (due to the fact I was 13 at the time). But I thought maybe others may have noticed a similar phenomenal while looking at the moon or read about it. I guess not.

I think the moon landing hoax folks have been invalidated enough by all the other evidence that exists, it hasn't stopped them yet though!
lagoon
I didn't know much about the retroreflectors on the moon until this post, so I looked into it. Fascinating stuff.
Bikerman
lagoon wrote:
I didn't know much about the retroreflectors on the moon until this post, so I looked into it. Fascinating stuff.
Whenever you meet a moonlanding conspiracy theorist remember those reflectors. You don't have to waste time refuting all the other stuff then - that does nicely.

In partial answer of the question above - no, I don't think it is remotely possible that you could have been seeing the reflectors. They are still used daily by an observatory (I think it is Appache Point, but that is a recollection I'd give about 65% prob score, so you might want to check), to give the exact distance to the moon. You need a coherent laser of high power, and even then there are only a few photons returned - even the telescope sometimes struggles, so I don't reckon any eyeball mark 1 is going to see anything unless you have a serious scope..
chatrack
I think there is another techequnic for measuring exact distance to moon. It is moon bouncing
of radio waves in UHF.
In High sensitive HF radio communication receivers, you can hear moon bouncing of
AM signals in higher bands.
supernova1987a
coolclay wrote:
Deanhills posted a informative link to wikipedia about all the junk mankind has left on the moon. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_artificial_objects_on_the_Moon.
This got me thinking about something I saw as a teenager through my telescope. We were looking at the full moon, and near the top of it (from my perspective) we saw a very obvious reflective glare. It was much brighter than the rest of the moon and gave the appearance of light reflected from a metallic object. This was in and around 1996 or so.

I am familiar with the retroreflectors on the moon but don't believe they would be large enough or in the right position to send reflected light from the sun to where I was standing, and looking through a telescope.

My theory is that it was light reflecting off either a metallic part or solar array or some other "moon trash" left up there. I have been unable to find any other reports of similar observations but maybe I am looking in the wrong places.

Has anyone else seen, observed, and read about anything similar to my observations?

What if a satellite just passed across your view of the Moon? Or maybe you saw an impact on the Moon by a space rock!! Obviously it can't be UFO! Or some trick by the telescope lens??
l4nd3r05
uld be anything, could be a geologic phenomenon, say for instance when the sun hits it at just the right angle, and set of mountains or canyon or reflects the light more intensely. Could have been the light off the mirror in your telescope, from looking at a full moon, or possibly some other explaination if the space junk research doesn't give any explainations. Although there is always the Alien theory and that the little green men were shinning a mirror at you........

As far as space junk on the moon goes, I have read, and heard that people using highpowered telescopes, like say in observatories, are able to actually see the debris left behind from the lan
eday2010
Bikerman wrote:
lagoon wrote:
Whenever you meet a moonlanding conspiracy theorist remember those reflectors. You don't have to waste time refuting all the other stuff then - that does nicely.

You don't even need to do that. The conspiracy theorists can say that the results are faked, and all that. What can really shut them up is pointing out that the landing happened during the Cold War and Space Race between the US and USSR. The USSR had satellites trained on the Apollo 11 mission the entire time, and has never said that it never landed on the moon. They say it land, and they saw it return. If anyone would and could expose the landing as a hoax, it would have been the USSR. But they said nothing, because they know that the US landed on the moon.

On the topic of moon debris, what is fascinating is that if man never colonizes the moon, and the moon isn't destroyed by a meteor or anything else, that moon debris will be there in a billion years. Probably in the exact same condition as it is now. That is really cool.