FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Computer not booting - and virus problem.

saratdear
Will my PC problems never come to an end? Rolling Eyes

I booted up my computer as usual today, and before Windows XP finished loading, I got a BSOD. Hmm...I thought I'd just note down the stuff it said. It went as follows:

blah blah
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
blah blah
STOP: 0x000000D1 (0xF8D42C28, 0X00000002, 0X00000000, 0xF76DOB34)
blah blah
sptd.sys - Address F76DOB34 base at F76BA000, Datestamp 4370dcd7

I don't know whether this much information would help, I thought I'd just post it. Anyway, I restarted the computer, and the screen came up where it says "We are sorry but Windows did not start successfully.." and selecting "Start Windows Normally" did not help. So I did "Last Known Good configuration that worked" and it thankfully, it did boot to Windows XP. When I logged on, I found that a pesky little virus called..um..sorry I forgot its name, but it was something called sisXXX32.exe (XXX denotes some other letters which I don't remember). After a lot of tries, I was finally able to remove that one and several others with Malwarebytes Anti Malware tool. However, after restarting the computer, the same BSOD came up and now I find that using "Last Known Good configuration" doesn't work either. I can't even boot to safe mode.

Currently posting from an Ubuntu Live CD.

Any idea what this could be?
Fire Boar
A virus, sounds like. A lot of vira leave you no choice but to reinstall the OS, they screw things up so badly.
ocalhoun
Fire Boar wrote:
A virus, sounds like. A lot of vira leave you no choice but to reinstall the OS, they screw things up so badly.

That sounds like the case... If the virus infected the 'sisXXX32.exe' file (which sounds like it might be a windows system file), then the anti-virus would have deleted that file. Now, if that file was essential for windows booting up, deleting it would cause some obvious problems.

I do agree, reinstalling the OS may be your only choice. You might be able to find that same file somewhere and put it where it is supposed to be, and that might begin to fix the problem... But then there may be other problems caused by the virus, and it might simply get re-infected as soon as it boots up again.

If you were willing to spend weeks of intense troubleshooting time on it, and you were a guru about the nitty-gritty details of the windows OS, you might fix it without reinstalling...
But, reinstalling would be quicker, easier, and more sure of fixing the problem.

If you 'rescue' any files off of the old system, backing them up before you reinstall, then make sure you run a good virus scan on those backup files before you put them into the new system.
saratdear
I can't even begin to describe how angry I am now. Evil or Very Mad

[begin rant]

We decided to call the computer technician since we thought it'd save us the trouble. I had misplaced the XP CD anyway. I was not at the home when they came, and my father, who was there at the time, accidentally told them we have 512 MB of RAM (we have 768 MB; a 512 MB and a 256). They brought it back today, and they had formatted it all right. (They had backed up, fortunately) I had an inkling all along that they might have brought it with just 512 MB (we did call and tell them..but still. I don't trust these guys.) And I checked it just when they were leaving, and it was just the one 512 stick! Unfortunately, I could not catch them; they had already left. I made my father call their office right back and can you even guess what they said? The 256 MB stick is not working! The nerve! It was working very well when it left the house; then how could it? Anyway, we've told them to bring back the "defective" stick tomorrow. Let me see. Meanwhile, I am quietly letting out expletives while my parents are not around because I just can't stand their nerve to simply say it is not working. It is actually a DDR1 model, which is hard to get and expensive these days. So they must have thought - "These guys can't tell correctly how much ram they have, how will they know if we take one?". Let those $#%@ers come tomorrow. I am waiting.
[/end rant]

I know it is my fault - I should have checked just before they left. We had even called them before they brought iit, and still...

I just had to let out my anger somehow, sorry. Smile
Bondings
It could very well be that the ram stick has some problems, but wasn't completely broken yet. So maybe it still worked from time to time, but not in all cases. Maybe the blue screen was caused by this and not the viruses, although viruses/malware are certainly able to cause them too.

In any case, they should have told you that the ram was bad and definitely give it back or at least ask you about it.

By the way, about the Windows restarting problem, this seems to happen a lot (at least I've encountered it a lot) and usually the last known configuration should work. Of course if the system files are gone or tampered with, you'll still have problems to restart it.
saratdear
Bondings wrote:
It could very well be that the ram stick has some problems, but wasn't completely broken yet. So maybe it still worked from time to time, but not in all cases. Maybe the blue screen was caused by this and not the viruses, although viruses/malware are certainly able to cause them too.

In any case, they should have told you that the ram was bad and definitely give it back or at least ask you about it.

By the way, about the Windows restarting problem, this seems to happen a lot (at least I've encountered it a lot) and usually the last known configuration should work. Of course if the system files are gone or tampered with, you'll still have problems to restart it.

That could have very well been the case but I am kind of...I don't know, prejudiced against them. They have given us stuff that failed from time to time.

And the restarting problem is gone since they formatted it.
jdelfire
what a bad luck... you did all the right troubleshooting but it seems like you had a very advance virus ahead of your every step... Sad
MarzEz
possibly just a corrupted file. dodgy ram may cause the problem, but often cleaning out the ram slot and putting the ram back solves the problem. i reccomend repairing/reinstalling windows.
FunDa
sarat, let us know how it goes. The RAM having a problem can cause the BSOD and it can corrupt data on the drive too.

I had a problem wiht my RAM, which I checked with my Ubuntu live cd.

Since u already have an Ubuntu live CD, do check the RAM as soon as u get it back. I think u wil know where the RAM test is. It comes in the first menu after booting into the Ubuntu cd. "Memory test" or something.

Let it run for sometime and it will catch any errors if the RAM is damaged.
saratdear
Thanks for your concern FunDa. But as I posted earlier, they have formatted the computer, and removed the defective stick and brought it back. It's working OK..for now at least.