FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

New Hardware Problems

weableandbob
A little more than a week ago, my computer randomly broke down, and my dad and I thought we isolated the problem to either the motherboard or the cpu, as it was powering up fine, but there wasn't any beep like normal, and there wasn't any bios screen, or anything coming up on the monitor. We also tried it with the old board's integrated graphics, but still nothing. The new hardware's an Intel Q8200, a P5Q Pro Turbo, and a Sony DVD burner, whereas everything else is as it was before. Now that everything's hooked up, it's doing the exact same thing, with all the motherboard/case/cpu lights and fans coming on, but no bios or any image at all. We've also tried it with two different sets of RAM, the Corsair DIMMs right out of the box, but still nothing. Anyone know any way to get it to work?

Current hardware:
Antec Sonata II w/ default 450w psu
Sapphire 4850
Intel Q8200
P5Q Pro Turbo
Two seagate IDE hard drives (were working fine before, and we tried it without them plugged in, but nothing)
2 GB of either Corsair or Kingston RAM

From reading some of the one-egg reviews on Newegg, it appears that this may just be a defective board, but I want to make sure that it's not something fixable, as I really don't feel like waiting two weeks to have a working computer (It took a week for them to ship it from California to Oregon)
ocalhoun
weableandbob wrote:

From reading some of the one-egg reviews on Newegg, it appears that this may just be a defective board, but I want to make sure that it's not something fixable, as I really don't feel like waiting two weeks to have a working computer (It took a week for them to ship it from California to Oregon)

Brand new products are defective a surprising amount of the time... but, have you looked at the power supply?

The fans and drives run only on 5V and 12V. If the 3.3 volt is off or missing, or one of the other odd voltages it provides to the motherboard aren't working, it might cause the problem.

Also, simplify the problem as much as you can; disconnect all drives, peripherals, and cards you don't need. (For now disconnect everything not needed to get to the BIOS's beeping stage -- everything except CPU, RAM, Motherboard, Power supply, and internal speaker.) If removing everything unneeded fixes the original problem, you can gradually add stuff back in until it fails again. At that point, the last thing you added on was probably the source of the problem.
(Sometimes, just as a fluke, 'unneeded' parts cause total breakdowns like this.)

Oh, and I do have to ask... You took precautions against static electricity when installing the new parts, right?
weableandbob
Ya, turns out it was the power supply after all. It's working fine now with a new Antec one.