FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Countdown for our first Elite Frihoster!

deanhills
Ocalhoun has just cleared 7400 postings and is well on his way to galloping to 7500 postings which will make him the first Frihoster to reach the Elite Frihoster Rank of Honour. Since so many people have helped to change the rankings, and it took lots of hard work to sort it out (thanks to many people), thought we should do some proper celebrations when Ocalhoun reaches 7500 postings (maybe of the champagne popping and fireworks variety) Shocked Laughing Dancing

Not only has Ocalhoun posted consistently in great numbers since almost the beginning of time of Frihost, but the quality of his postings has always been consistently above average and excellent, and also over a great number and variety of forums. The rank of Elite Frihoster is deserving, not only in terms of numbers of postings, but definitely also quality and variety of postings. Great stuff Ocalhoun!

For those who are wondering how the Frihost ranks work:

Quote:
New member 0
Frihost wannabe 50
Junior Frihoster 100
Adolescent Frihoster 200
Frihoster 400
Senior Frihoster 1000
Frihost Sage 3000
Elite Frihoster 7500
ProfessorY91
Well why not?

There are definitely some power users here on frihost, you know, the jack-of-all-trades guru that posts in almost every forum and helps everyone. I'm someone that mainly hangs around the Technology forums: Computer problems and support, software, operating systems. I'd like to thank Ocalhoun for contributing there - its difficult to get a meaningful reply as it is.

Another comment: There are quite a few users of frihost who have low post numbers (because we post occasionally, and write long and meaningful posts). I've often seen rankings which commend users for certain areas of expertise on other forums. I'm not sure how it would would, or even if it would work at all on frihost, but its helpful to know if a user has distinction in a particular area.

Two cents, and perhaps a little more.

Y.
polly-gone
I definitely think that congratulations are in order for Ocalhoun! User like that are what make this forum really great. I am usually very good at finding information that I need from Googling and clicking around, especially since I've been doing it since I was 5 or 6.... but when I can't find info on something or am feeling kind of lazy and don't WANT to look for it, I can usually ask on Frihost and someone always knows the answer!

Thank you very much ocalhoun,

-Nick Smile Smile Smile
deanhills
ProfessorY91 wrote:
Another comment: There are quite a few users of frihost who have low post numbers (because we post occasionally, and write long and meaningful posts). I've often seen rankings which commend users for certain areas of expertise on other forums.
I would have thought that the points, to a certain degree would compensate for higher quality postings, as one gets more points for longer postings. Not all longer postings are necessarily of good quality, but one would be more inclined to find better postings among the longer ones.

I like Steve's idea of going for competitions as well as rewarding people who do very high quality postings on a regular basis. I'm not a frequent poster in the IT section, however would imagine that a really good posting in the IT section would especially be deserving of additional points. Perhaps if a Moderator in the IT section spots those high quality postings, they could add a few points and perhaps make mention of the high quality in a separate posting in the same thread.

Having said that, Ocalhoun seems to have been doing both, posting large numbers as well as high quality postings with plenty of integrity. I always think that the real test of a good poster in a Forum setting is one that comes out in debates, rather than individually, so I really enjoyed the debates Ocalhoun had with Indi for example in the Philosophy and Religion Forum. There are also some good ones with Chris (Bikerider). When we were thinking about competitions about a year ago Ocalhoun also came up with some brilliant ideas for doing those, right down to nitty gritty details. Ocalhoun obviously invests a lot of time in high quality postings as he also initiated some good "from scratch" threads in the Politics Forums that made me think. I am particularly thinking now of his contribution in the Group Discussion in the Left-Wing Media Thread. The Graphs that he contributed really made me think.
goutha
I'm still in my senior level (which I'm proud of). I don't know if I'll be an Elite one day, but I think that Sage level is an attainable target for me.
mtorregiani
Congrats on Ocalhoun for having such a big ammount of posts!
I'm currently a Senior Frihoster, and I doubt I'll ever be Sage Frihoster... it's just way out of my league...
Ghost900
He is at 7434 now. Only a few weeks and he should get it. Ocalhoun has always posted everywhere and has a great number of quality posts and has definitely added to the Frihost forum.

Only 66 more posts to go. Very Happy
Arty
Wow, how long has he been on Frihost?
deanhills
Arty wrote:
Wow, how long has he been on Frihost?
Ocalhoun joined on 12 October 2005. That is really a very loooong history with Frihost. I scanned some of his very old postings and found this rather good one in a thread (dated November 2005) on: Do you believe in UFOs or Aliens? or have u ever seen them?
Quote:
If anybody does make contact with aliens, I want their technology.
(It might very well help on some of my more devious projects...)
If you get abducted, make sure to take notice of everything and then post it here.

Laughing
standready
Congrats on Ocalhoun! Your thought proviking topics and replies have provided all of us with entertainment and even made us THINK! LOL
william
Wow, 30 more posts until Elite Frihoster. Quite an acheivement, it would take me many years to reach that point. Razz But all very well deserved; ocalhoun has some of the best posts on this site. All informative and thoughtful.

Congrats! Very Happy
Vrythramax
Ocalhoun was here and had an established reputation even before I joined Frihost (he's got me beat by about 3 months), and I'll be one of the first to congratulate Ocalhoun when he reaches that vaulted position, but I'd also like to take a moment to point out that some of the greatest posters we have ever had here at Frihost didn't post in large numbers, but with consistent, thought provoking quality.

Ocalhoun has encompassed the best of both qualities, he posts regularly and with quality. I'm looking forward to him being the first to achieve that rank, and to go down in the Frihost history book.

Now start posting Ocalhoun before someone comes along and steals your thunder!!
pll
15 more to go!!
Helios
And those will be 7,500 good posts.
Shows an example for most users that it's possible to make many contributing posts.
ocalhoun
Mr. Green

Figured I'd make a good entrance with post #7500 ^.^

I never expected to have a whole topic just about me made by someone else... Does that mean I'm famous?

Anyway, thanks everybody! In all the comments I was amazed to find nothing derogatory at all.
Bondings
I guess it indeed means that you are famous, ocalhoun. Anyway, congratulations!
Jinx
Congratulations, ocalhoun!

I always enjoy reading your insightful, informative, and entertaining posts, and am glad you are getting some special recognition for your contributions here.

Oh, and I've been meaning to ask - how do you do the rotating images in your signature?
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Mr. Green

Figured I'd make a good entrance with post #7500 ^.^

I never expected to have a whole topic just about me made by someone else... Does that mean I'm famous?

Anyway, thanks everybody! In all the comments I was amazed to find nothing derogatory at all.
You're definitely famous Laughing And congratulations, well done! Dancing
ocalhoun
Jinx wrote:

Oh, and I've been meaning to ask - how do you do the rotating images in your signature?

The image location points to a bogus .gif file, which is actually a php script that selects a random image from the folder it's located in to display. Also, the .htaccess file for that folder must be modified.

There are various tutorials available to explain how.
saratdear
I just thought I'd drop in and offer my congratulations because...ocalhoun is a great guy! He has helped me in many occasions before about problems with my computer.

I hope you continue posting like this. Smile
Ghost900
Congratulations Ocalhoun on Elite FriHoster. You deserve this very much. Applause
pll
Grats ^.^ I wish I could be the next Elite Frihoster. Wink
ankitdatashn
Ahh now finally there is a thread which would make me know the insights of this rank criterion!. Poor me, If I were to wish to cross Ocalhoun then I would need to have 10 more lives to live!

Anyways congrats Ocalhoun and do post like you always post...!
missdixy
And all this time I always thought Ocalhoun was a girl! Haha. Not sure why. Maybe my eyes interpreted the houn as hun..

anyway, I always enjoy his posts and congratulations to him!
Hogwarts
ocalhoun wrote:
Jinx wrote:

The image location points to a bogus .gif file, which is actually a php script that selects a random image from the folder it's located in to display. Also, the .htaccess file for that folder must be modified.

There are various tutorials available to explain how.

There are several methods much better; I can think of one which also would allow you to have a rotating link accompany that -- this all being done external to the forum. You could also write a script which access frihost and modifies your signature simply enough; but that's no fun :<
carlospro7
I can't remember how posts by ocalhoun I have read. There is always something, and I've always enjoyed reading them. Congratulations on breaking 7500!
Aredon
I must confess I never looked at your post tally, but now that it comes to mind I actually have seen you post in just about every thread I've ever been a part of. So I guess it should have been obvious. Laughing In any case, congrats! (P.S. No more driving over cliffs! Razz)
soljarag
wow, thats alot of posts!

You should find them all and paste them in a word document and see how many pages you wrote..... or not Smile
paskifire
oh well i have a long way to go. Very Happy
ocalhoun
soljarag wrote:

You should find them all and paste them in a word document and see how many pages you wrote.....

Way too much trouble... I might take a representative sample and multiply it by the number of posts though.
Aredon
ocalhoun wrote:
soljarag wrote:

You should find them all and paste them in a word document and see how many pages you wrote.....

Way too much trouble... I might take a representative sample and multiply it by the number of posts though.
Surely someone with access to the database can just make a loop to pull all your posts into a txt file? :O
erlendhg
Aredon wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
soljarag wrote:

Surely someone with access to the database can just make a loop to pull all your posts into a txt file? :O

Haha, yes that should be very easy Wink
Anyways, congratulations to you, ocalhoun. You really deserve all the frihosters' kind words.