FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Anyone else having problems with Yahoo Website and Mail?

deanhills
I have a Yahoo Mail account and also Yahoo used to be my Home Page as I like the way they do the News, but for the last month things have slowed down horribly with no explanatory notes. Getting Yahoo up is slow, and trying to do searches, using their intuitive search box a real pain in the butt. Google and other search engines in comparison are flying, so it cannot be a general Internet thing. Has anybody else been experiencing the same problems with Yahoo Search Engine, Website and Yahoo Mail? Is Yahoo having hacking problems,or is it under attack?
sheedatali
It could be your internet connection. Remember big/most ISP's use peering for international traffic, if your ISP is not peering with IEX/Peering point that Yahoo server for your region are located at, then you will take the longer/worst route to get to them. Try using MTR/WIN-MTR to check how long is it taking for you to get to Yahoo server, if the RTT is approx similar to google then the next logical step is to use something like Firebug (Firefox), Dev Tool (Opera) to see what is taking the longest to load in a page when you are using Yahoo services. If everything is taking approximately same time then it probably is the routing, otherwise it could be something on Yahoo side screwed up. They use different servers to host different stuff to server a page i-e ( Image servers, Text servers, Media servers etc). Try it out and you will narrow down the possibilities to draw a logical conclusion.

It might well be the case that problem is on Yahoo side, but it is better to verify than assume! Hope this helps.
deanhills
Thanks. I will try out all the recommendations for testing Yahoo's loading time. I've been trying to find the right kind of software to download for the MTR/WIN-MTR test. Do you have any suggestions? Also, how do I find the IP address for Yahoo?

Note: I tried and have not made much progress. Not sure how one goes about testing how Yahoo and Google loads. All I know is that Google loads very fast and Yahoo VERY slow. The technical testing is a little beyond me. Embarassed
Magicman
I just tried loading both Yahoo mail and the main news page and they both loaded very quickly. The problem might be on your side or with your provider since it doesn't seem to be a problem with the Yahoo site itself.
deanhills
Magicman wrote:
I just tried loading both Yahoo mail and the main news page and they both loaded very quickly. The problem might be on your side or with your provider since it doesn't seem to be a problem with the Yahoo site itself.
I'm totally ignorant with how to test it, but I suspect the same, i.e. that my provider has firewalls or settings in place that creates difficulties with Yahoo loading. I've managed to download WinMTR-0.8 software. Where do I find the IP address for Yahoo. I tried Yahoo, and that has just timed out on me.

PS: I finally found the Yahoo IP Address, actually quite easy if I use Google to find it rather than Yahoo, ironically. Not sure how to read the results, as when I entered the Yahoo IP Address in WinMTR, it came up with about 12 different IP addresses and they were all going crazy under the heading of WORST. I then downloaded Firebug under Firefox, and of course that is not helping, as Yahoo can't download in Firefox. The closest it got was a "skeleton" page after about 10 minutes.
hunnyhiteshseth
well may be it is dependant on your location. I am in India and here Yahoo is working just fine.
Ghost Rider103
Yahoo seems to working fine for me as well. Not sure about their mail service, as I don't use Yahoo. But I went on Yahoo and used the search real quick.

I too think this must be a problem on your side.
deanhills
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
Yahoo seems to working fine for me as well. Not sure about their mail service, as I don't use Yahoo. But I went on Yahoo and used the search real quick.

I too think this must be a problem on your side.
Thanks for checking Ghost Rider. I'm on a mini-holiday in Dubai and typing this posting on a very strange computer in an Internet Cafe. You should see the keyboard!!!! But, Yahoo is working OK. Think I will get my trusted Computer Geek friend on the job when I get home again. Could be something to do with my settings. Before I left for my holiday, I tried all the known remedies like getting rid of cookies and deleting my Internet files with no change. Maybe I should reformat my hard drive as well. Only curiosity is that Yahoo also has problems at work, so there is the possibility as well that the problem could be specific to the Emirate of Abu Dhabi, whereas Dubai and apparently the rest of the Globe are OK Smile.
Ghost Rider103
No problem.

That is pretty odd that you are having problem with Yahoo in both different locations and on different computers.

Could have something to do with your location as well I guess.

If it's not working correctly on a different computer, then I don't think it would be something on your side. My next guess would be it's something to do with Yahoo's servers.

Or maybe Google is targeting you now. Laughing
goutha
I think that the problem is more with your internet connection (modem, firewall, etc.). There's no problem with any of yahoo services. If it was the case it will make headlines in news worldwide Smile
missdixy
Yea I've logged in fine to Yahoo at least daily the last month and it's been fine for me
deanhills
goutha wrote:
I think that the problem is more with your internet connection (modem, firewall, etc.). There's no problem with any of yahoo services. If it was the case it will make headlines in news worldwide Smile
Yahoo may be "A" OK in the United States. But on a region to region basis outside the United States, services can be variable. For example a couple of years ago when I was travelling in South Africa, I could not get into Yahoo anywhere in Johannesburg. That is when I got my Google Mail ID, and it had been a real nuisance as of course I was unable to access my Yahoo Mail which at that time had been my main e-mail service. When I was travelling in Europe three years ago, I also found Yahoo services variable from place to place. We also have this problem on and off with both Yahoo and Hotmail in the UAE. For a while we could not send mail from my place of work to either Yahoo or Hotmail addresses. Every now and then there are firewall and related issues with these addresses. My test for Yahoo was to check it out in Dubai (I live in the Abu Dhabi area), and it is OK in Dubai. So my next step when I return to Abu Dhabi is to get an IT guy to check all of my computer settings as I have been unable to delete my Internet files, i.e. it hangs when I try to do that. I've done as much as I can with the little I know, he may immediately know what to do, as he is very familiar with the current goings on with Yahoo vs. our Internet provider in the UAE, Etisalat.
jabce85
yes, and that's why i switched to gmail. It is far superior.
deanhills
jabce85 wrote:
yes, and that's why i switched to gmail. It is far superior.
I don't know about superior, but I rarely have any problems with gmail, although I have had a recent problem with my gmail account after I had subscribed to a List Server. I received a flood of e-mails from the List Server, and all of a sudden no e-mails to my e-mail account. Almost as though it died.

For the rest however, Google is in good shape. I hope that Yahoo can overcome its issues, as I do like Yahoo news. Google has not been able to beat Yahoo on that yet.
Ghost900
I don't use my Yahoo mail often but the last time I was there I didn't notice it running slow. The only problem I have with Yahoo as a search engine is that they seem to take along time to add new sites to searches.
deanhills
Ghost900 wrote:
I don't use my Yahoo mail often but the last time I was there I didn't notice it running slow. The only problem I have with Yahoo as a search engine is that they seem to take along time to add new sites to searches.
That is true. As a sidenote, my access to Yahoo has miraculously recovered. Google is still superior in terms of searching speed, however I really like Yahoo and when it is up and working, it is like an old friend that I prefer to have around. During its not so good days, I now tend to make Google my Home Page, and during better days Yahoo. Yahoo is just superior with its News Page, I like the way they display it and it usually is organized in a way that my eye can scan in a few seconds. I should change my Yahoo e-mail address however it is one that I use for family and friends for a very long time and difficult to give up. It seems to be working OK right now so I am on the roll again with Yahoo.
Crinoid
My yahoo mail also was lost few times, or was two days behind. Started rely on gmail more.
timothymartin
My yahoo has been slow as well and it seems like it has been since yahoo and msn joined forces with their search engines. It could just be a matter of time while everything is getting fully combined and then things might go back to how they were. We will see...
standready
A blast from the past arises! LOL
deanhills
timothymartin wrote:
My yahoo has been slow as well and it seems like it has been since yahoo and msn joined forces with their search engines. It could just be a matter of time while everything is getting fully combined and then things might go back to how they were. We will see...
Are you serious? Yahoo and MSN have joined forces? Will Yahoo Mail and Hotmail be joined up as well? Darn! I've never liked MSN. This is not very good news at all ...... Smile
Bondings
deanhills wrote:
timothymartin wrote:
Are you serious? Yahoo and MSN have joined forces? Will Yahoo Mail and Hotmail be joined up as well? Darn! I've never liked MSN. This is not very good news at all ...... Smile

It should only be for search, I highly doubt they will also combine for email.
deanhills
Bondings wrote:
It should only be for search, I highly doubt they will also combine for email.
Thanks Bondings. That is a relief to hear. Disappointed in the "search" join up, but good to hear the e-mails will still be separate. I prefer my Yahoo e-mail system to my Hotmail. Hotmail has become too technical with too many bells and whistles/hurdles in my way. When I was in Thailand it was difficult to use as well. MSN loads the strangest default page in Danish at work. I would have understood if it were an Arabic page, but how they have figured to get it to load Danish in the UAE baffles my mind.
ProfessorY91
I have problems with Yahoo in general, mainly their pathetic excuse for a spam filter, the number of ads that are shown on the website, the irrelevant search results. That they are teaming up with the other supposed big dog, Microsoft (and its overzealous Bing), slightly bothers me. I fully expect to see them mount a charge at Google, fail miserably, and in the process subject myself and other good users of search engines to target advertising of their doomed-to-fail project.

Also, please, if you want to have control over your inbox, and customization at your fingertips, get a Gmail account. I'll shamelessly advertise on behalf of Google some more: follow up with a Google Voice account. I doubt you'll be disappointed.

(Also, as there are important people in this thread, I do apologize if I'm slightly off topic?)
deanhills
@ProfessorY91. I've never really got to like Google. Yahoo is fine for me. Google gives too much control and maybe I'm just not on its wavelength. I'm also worried about all of its bots that are responsible for all of those ads, and can't help wonder what information it gets from my e-mails. What I like about Yahoo is also its news, I like the way it is arranged on the Website. I have a few Google accounts, mostly for commercial use.
bini
Generally, I have not experienced such lately but I quite agree that google loads faster than yahoo. Sometimes both yahoo and google load slowing and I feel that could be a general internet problem but I advise you take off hacking of yahoo site from your mind. The technical department should have outgrown that and have security measure to protect their site.
pc_nv
deanhills wrote:
There is something seriously wrong with the YAHOO web site...if you are not having a problem now, you will...i have $ computers, 3 with different versions of windows and one with LINUX (ubuntu)...When in yahoo ican get looked up on one sustem...on another i can hear constant clicking when on a YAHOO page like it is trying to load or is loading stuff...and finally on windows 8 i can actually cause my DSL moden to start blinking red, losing the network, till i close the yahoo page...i "think" it may have something to do with the scrolling pictures at the top of the page...i do not have trouble with the many other sites i go to or various email account i have on different providers...YAHOO has become a pain!!!
stanloplato
I'm also having problems with yahoo mail... sometimes when i try to login it wont allow me and tells me invalid password when i'm very certain and sure it is correct and i typed the password well. some times after multiple trial it logs in and sometime i have to wait for days before it logs in.

anyone experiencing this too?
chasbeen
I noticed yahoo was completely unaccessible mor than once over the last month.
I've been having trouble in Canada and England.
zimmer
on my side and here in my area yahoo is been perfect as usual. connection is so smooth and no problem so far. Very Happy
deanhills
I seem to be OK. I use Yahoo quite often for mail and its search engine. Although over the last months have found myself using Google more than Yahoo.
chasbeen
I did the Yahoo to Google for search a few years back.
Oops drifting off subject...