FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Best text browsers

Da Rossa
Have you ever used/needed to use a text web browser such as Lynx?
I'd like to hear which good options we have for Windows XP.
What do you use them for?
Thanks!
Flarkis
I've had to use text based browsers before when using a terminal. I used to use gentoo linux, there was not graphical user interface so if you needed to look up something in the documentation than your only hope was to use lynx or something along those lines.

The only two that i have ever had experience using were lynx and Elinks. Both of which offer the same sort of functionality.

My question would be why are you looking for a text based browser for windows xp, usually you only need a text based browser when you have no GUI available, would you perhaps be looking for a minimalistic browser?
Da Rossa
Just curious, because some sites claim to be optimized to text-only browsing and that could be easier to perform automated tasks via AHK (autohotkey) since every information in a page would be accessible faster and with an exact number of arrow keys taps.
leontius
Da Rossa wrote:
Just curious, because some sites claim to be optimized to text-only browsing and that could be easier to perform automated tasks via AHK (autohotkey) since every information in a page would be accessible faster and with an exact number of arrow keys taps.

If you want to scrape web pages, take a look at http://www.crummy.com/software/BeautifulSoup/
Da Rossa
Thanks, but I'm feeling a bit retarded right now. Since English is not my native language, what does "scrap a web page" mean? What is that site all about?
leontius
Da Rossa wrote:
Thanks, but I'm feeling a bit retarded right now. Since English is not my native language, what does "scrap a web page" mean? What is that site all about?

Scraping means to extract information from a web page / HTML document, which is what you seem want to do. For example, automatically getting links on google search results by an external program and then navigating the pages automatically (this violates google TOS).

That site is about a programming library that is useful to extract information from HTML text.
Da Rossa
Hmm now I see that!

by the way sorry for the long time you waited for my feedback, I was out of town. Im not sure if this is exactly what I'm trying to do.
I'm indeed thinking about a GUIless scenario, which I would have to navigate using arrow keys and tab. When we navigate through the mouse, things are not black on white. For example: lets say I want to access a website then point to the login. In an ordinary scenario I would grab the mouse and point at the login link. If I'm lazy, I'll hit TAB several times until the link is selected, when I tap ENTER.

Keystrokes like up, down, left, right, tab and enter can be automated with AHK. This is not about "scraping" a page or fetching links from Google directly.

So, what is your suggestion of a good text web browser? Smile