FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Archery anyone?

clip
Hi, I've been planning to take on archery next month.

I did a bit of research and am pretty much interested in using a recurve bow instead of a composite one as I'm planning to compete when I'm good enough.

Are there any recommendations on bows? Or should I buy one first then take lessons or the other way around?

Thanks Smile
ocalhoun
clip wrote:

Are there any recommendations on bows? Or should I buy one first then take lessons or the other way around?

I would get a cheap one.
If you end up enjoying archery as a hobby, you'll no doubt want a better one, and have a much better idea of just what you want (no matter what you buy now). And, if you decide to give it up and pursue some other hobby, you won't loose as much.
Afaceinthematrix
My bow is a composite bow. I would suggest getting the slightly more expensive arrows (rather than the cheapest) because they don't break nearly as easy. I would definitely suggest getting a wrist protector. I have never needed it, but if you do need it, it is a great thing to have. The last thing that you want to do is have the string hit your wrist. Also, what I would suggest doing (if you have a backyard) is getting a huge block of hay that you can stick your target on to in order to target practice. The hay will stop the arrow effectively (of course I would still put it against a fence or something in case the arrow goes all the way through). What I used to do when I was into archery was pin up balloons and shoot them. Archery can be quite fun once you get into it. And ocalhoun is right... get a cheap bow.
jwellsy
Where are you going to shoot, at home or at a range?
What kind of competitions do you want to do, Olympic shooting, indoor range or 3D?
Do you want to shoot instinctive style, without sights?
Do you strictly want to only target shoot, or are you interested in hunting also?

I got my first bow about 1965 and my first compound bow the year they were patented by Allen who worked for Browning in 1971. I can share a lot of info about archery.
Afaceinthematrix
^^Many places are actually starting to ban bow hunting. It's a little unfortunate. I guess shooting something with a gun is far more humane than shooting something with a bow (it's probably a quicker and a less painful death to get a nice shot to the head).
ocalhoun
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
(it's probably a quicker and a less painful death to get a nice shot to the head).

Most hunters aim for the chest... If they hit properly, and have a powerful rifle, it is humane enough, I suppose, but if they miss the proper spot, they often end up chasing a wounded animal for miles.
Marcuzzo
hunters don't go for headshots.
I've seen a documentary by Louis Theroux, he was in South Africa at hunting ranges where people could shoot game that was born in captivity and were well fed.
they had to pay for it and all they take home is the "trophy"...
and the meat gets sold to butchers to sell it to the local folks.
at least they didn't waste the meat...
most ranges had banned riffles because the use of silent weapons like a bow didn't scare and stress the animals.

I couldn't sleep that night...who the F**** hunts for a sport?!!

EDIT: I found some footage on yt http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C8iRGuUqf8
clip
jwellsy wrote:
Where are you going to shoot, at home or at a range?
What kind of competitions do you want to do, Olympic shooting, indoor range or 3D?
Do you want to shoot instinctive style, without sights?
Do you strictly want to only target shoot, or are you interested in hunting also?

I'm actually planning to shoot here at home and at a range.
I'm also planning to do some indoor competitions, and if i'm lucky, i'd like to try Olympic Smile
Yes, I want to shoot instinctive style.
And yes, strictly target shooting. I don't like hunting Smile

It's great that I can ask a lot of people here at frih about archery. It's been a while since I've had a sport and I'm really hoping I get good at this one.
jwellsy
I would suggest not buying a cheap new bow. You would be better served getting a nice used bow for cheap. Watch ebay for target bows to get a feel for the market.

Sights vs instinctive, they are way different styles. For shooting leagues at a range with Olympic aspirations you'll need a recurve bow with sights and stabilizer. Instinctive shooting is more applicable to primitive bows. For now stay with a target bow with sights.

Bows are rated by draw weight and draw length. For target shooting you need more control than raw power. Stay with a bow that's under 50# pull. 35-40# is a good range. Some people even go to 28#. But the lighter you go the more critical range estimating becomes because of the arching trajectory. A heavy bow shoots flatter, but is harder to hold at full draw.

Draw length: hold a yard stick between your two hands with your arms extended straight out horizontally in from of you and measure the distance from the middle of your chest to the end of your finger tips. That will give you a good starting point for your arrow length that you need.

Arrows: Good arrows will make a big difference in getting consistently small groups. There's 2 ways to go, aluminum or carbon. In aluminum look for a material called XX75, that will be a good arrow for the money. If you go with carbon arrows stay away from old carbon arrows. There were some major problems with them exploding on release and impact the first several years they were out. You need to figure out your draw length and draw weight before you buy any arrows, so you can get the right ones.

Go to the Olympic archery site and read all of their rules. Stay focused on those rules or else you may develop bad habits that could hinder you.

Watch as many youtube archery videos as you can. Sometimes Olympic archery is called field archery.
imera
Interesting, I love archery, only tried it three times but I'm good at it, surprisingly. This ppost will help me deciding what to get later
gandalfthegrey
I did archery in camp. My problem is there arent any ranges near where I live. I tried to get back into archery about 10 years ago and I could not find any.
jwellsy
None of these are mine. These will give you idea what I'm talking about.
Hint: target bows typically have white limbs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Comet-TQ-Recurve-Bow_W0QQitemZ150401208278QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item23049c4fd6

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hoyt-ProMedalist-Recurve-Bow_W0QQitemZ300381993236QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item45f0297914

http://cgi.ebay.com/Heritage-Series-Buckeye-Recurve-bow-w-arrows-quiver_W0QQitemZ220534283049QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3358de1b29
supernova1987a
Wow, nice but don't see useful nowadays. Must be fun though.
Afaceinthematrix
ocalhoun wrote:
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
(it's probably a quicker and a less painful death to get a nice shot to the head).

Most hunters aim for the chest... If they hit properly, and have a powerful rifle, it is humane enough, I suppose, but if they miss the proper spot, they often end up chasing a wounded animal for miles.

Hmmm.... I've always gone for the head. There's something about me not wanting to eat lead (or whatever the bullet is made out of). But that's also partly because I've hunted rabbit, and sometimes if you get a nice chest shot on a rabbit you'll completely deteriorate your dinner...
ocalhoun
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
Afaceinthematrix wrote:

Hmmm.... I've always gone for the head. There's something about me not wanting to eat lead (or whatever the bullet is made out of). But that's also partly because I've hunted rabbit, and sometimes if you get a nice chest shot on a rabbit you'll completely deteriorate your dinner...

Generally, the bullet stays in one piece, and the meat immediately around the bullet wound is no good anyway. One reason they go for chest shots is because that takes out vital organs without damaging much meat.

I was talking about deer and other large game though, rabbits would of course be different.
rogue_skydragon
I used to be such an archery enthusiast! I still consider myself one, but I feel that in the past few years I've been a bit alienated from the sport Sad
clip
jwellsy wrote:
... For shooting leagues at a range with Olympic aspirations you'll need a recurve bow with sights and stabilizer. Instinctive shooting is more applicable to primitive bows. For now stay with a target bow with sights.

Wow these are great tips! Smile I'll be needing them when I choose a bow soon. Smile

Thanks! Very Happy
clip
jwellsy wrote:
... For shooting leagues at a range with Olympic aspirations you'll need a recurve bow with sights and stabilizer. Instinctive shooting is more applicable to primitive bows. For now stay with a target bow with sights.

Wow these are great tips! Smile I'll be needing them when I choose a bow soon. Smile

Thanks! Very Happy
Starrfoxx
I think archery is great, but I must admit that I've tried and can't shoot an arrow to save my life. I need practice.
jwellsy
Team up with some one thats been doing it for a long time. I can teach anyone to hit a paper plate at 20 yards in an hour.