FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Strange issue

ssweat
Ok I couldn't find another topic this would fit under. Here is the situation. I have noticed in 2 houses I have lived in that the garage door opener will only work if I first turn off my truck. It seems that something engine related is interfering with the garage remote signal. I have an alarm on my truck that has a perimeter sensor on it and thought this may have been the problem, but unhooked it and still have the issue. My other thought is maybe the metal in my window tint is somehow interfering although that would interfere as well when it was turned off. Maybe my alternator is causing it, who knows lol. I have searched the web and have found nothing, so I am asking here, has anyone else had this isssue occur? Thanks in advance for any advice.
standready
First thing I would try is using your garage remote away from truck but while the truck is running. How close to the truck will it still work. As you said, sounds like interference from some electrical component. Alternator could be the problem but other components including radio could be the problem. Alarm, I doubt. Good luck.
tony
Have you tried rolling down your window and holding the opener outside while the car is still running (and you are still inside, on the seat)? That might be worth a shot; I'd be interested to know if you still have the issue after trying that setup... interesting problem anyway!!
Arty
Yeah, do what tony said and try a bunch of experiments to gather more data, then return back.
deanhills
How about trying the remote control when you are in a different car? Are you sure it is the truck that is giving the problems? Maybe test a few cars, and maybe you can elimate some of the problems that way?
ocalhoun
It is indeed likely that some sort of interference from the truck is stopping the signal...

But do try replacing the remote's battery. With a fresh battery, it may have enough power to get through the interference and work fine.

If that doesn't work, you'll have to find the source of the interference with your truck...

When did the problem first start?
ssweat
thanks for all the suggestions, I will give them all a try and let you know what i find. I did buy new batteries slready thinking that was the issue but still no change.
ssweat
I experimented a bit more this weekend, and it is most certainly something in my truck when engine is running that is causing the issue. I even took the remote while truck running and stood righ next to the garage door brain and had no response, then I went and turned off my truck and instantly the remote worked. What a strange thing, really wish I knew what was the cause, Ill let you know if I find out more. Hard to believe Im one of the only ones that has ever had this type of issue. Maybe the government has a bug in my truck lol .
Marcuzzo
what kind of truck do you have?
maybe you could check with the manufacturer of your garage door opener if they have seen this before or if this was already reported.
ocalhoun
ssweat wrote:
I experimented a bit more this weekend, and it is most certainly something in my truck when engine is running that is causing the issue. I even took the remote while truck running and stood righ next to the garage door brain and had no response, then I went and turned off my truck and instantly the remote worked. What a strange thing, really wish I knew what was the cause, Ill let you know if I find out more. Hard to believe Im one of the only ones that has ever had this type of issue. Maybe the government has a bug in my truck lol .

If your truck has any CB radios or anything intended for transmitting (including OnStar) turn it off, or disable it by disconnecting the antenna. Then see if it works.

Try the opener while revving the engine up. If the interference is coming from a poorly sheilded ignition system, revving the engine will change the frequency of that interference, hopefully enough to no longer interfere with the opener. If that fixes it (though it probably won't) you'd have your problem diagnosed.

Check to make sure that your alternator isn't damaged... That's the most likely suspect I can think of.

What kind of truck is it, and have you made any unusual modifications to it? (Especially electronic modifications)
ssweat
thanks for these new suggestions, Its a jeep cherokee no modifications, I will definately try the engine revving idea today. I also have sattelite radio but it is turned off, but maybe I'll tyr to unhook the antennae when I leave today and see if that helps. Funny out of millions of people on the internet noone else seems to have this issue lol I google for many similar terms but found nothing. Maybe I need to wear a tinfoil hat Smile I'll let you know my results from the last few suggestions when I try them. Thanks again.