FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Favorite Computer/Video Game when growing up?

gandalfthegrey
Hey everyone who grew up in the eighties or early nineteen-nineties:

What was your favorite computer or video game that you played as a child or teenager?

What systems did you play on?

I loved the MegaMan game on Nintendo and the Eye of the Beholder series that I use to play on my old 486 computer.
microkosm
gandalfthegrey wrote:
Hey everyone who grew up in the eighties or early nineteen-nineties:

What was your favorite computer or video game that you played as a child or teenager?

What systems did you play on?

386: There was this old Scorched Earth clone which I've forgotten the name of. It was actually a demo version so I was never able to unlock all of the weapons. Anyone who's played this game remember Mr. Stupid?

SNES: super mario world, mario-all stars, chase hq, jim power, robocop 3, spiderman & x-men, link to the past, others

Some of these games really sucked and were tough to boot, but that's how I got good at video games.

apple II: mostly at school but some goodies like number munchers, Oregon trail, timbuktu. All educational, but I couldn't tell the difference back then. Confused
jigoku05
Gameboy - Super Mario, Pokemon Red
Gameboy Color - Super Mario(can't remember exact title), Pokemon Gold
Gameboy Advance - lots of mini games
NES/FamiCom - Super Mario, Street Fighter, and many more I can't remember.
SNES - Super Mario 3
Sega Megadrive - Sonic, Mortal Combat
Dreamcast - Powestone, some shooter.

PS1:
Monster Rancher 2 - I played this my whole highschool years.
Tekken 3 - My favorite fighting game.
Harvest Moon - Probably played this as long as monster rancher.
Armored Core: Project Phantasma
Armored Core: Master of Arena
Final Fantasy VII - Played it a little but I liked it.
Final Fantasy IX - Probably my favorite FF game.
Castlevania: SotN
Megaman X series

PC:
Ragnarok Online
Perfect World
bunch of other MMOGs
Warcraft 3/DOTA
Counterstrike
bunch of other LAN games

Not 90s but it's old now.

PS2: Haven't played this as much as PS1.
Tekken 5
Armored Core: Last Raven
NBA live 07,08,09
FF XII
Need for Speed series

PSP:
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
Tekken 6
Phantasy Star Portable
Gundam vs Gundam Next+
Grim
NES: Super Mario Bros. 3, Castlevania
Master System: Wonderboy III - the Dragon's Trap
GameBoy: Final Fantasy Adventure
GameGear: Shinobi
SNES: Secret of Mana
Saturn: Guardian Heroes
Nintendo 64: Zelda - Ocarina of Time
Dreamcast: Shenmue, Jet Grind Radio
Playstation2: God of War 1 & 2
Game Cube: Resident Evil IV
Wii: Zelda - the Twilight Princess
Playstation3: Resident Evil V
PC: Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, the Witcher

my Favorites of all Systems I own
EximiusNero
SNES: Super Mario World, Donkey Kong Country
N64: Goldeneye, Super Mario 64, I had a lot of games for this system but don't remember playing them lol
PS1: Tekken series, Metal Gear Solid, Spyro series
carlospro7
SNES:
Donkey Kong
Super Mario Brothers
Top Gear

Dreamcast:
Crazy Taxi

PC:
Delta Force 2
Agent ME
Definitely Super Mario World. In 4th grade my friend and I would try to think up our own levels and try to find all the exits. I've beaten it, and there's a level editor now that can edit the rom which you can use in an emulator, but I'm out of ideas now. However, there are some fun Super Mario World mods (like Super Demo World).
QrafTee
NES: Megaman 3, Super Mario Bros. 3
PC - DOS: Dig Dug, Wheel of Fortune
PC - Windows 3.1: Billy the Kid, Speed Racer
SNES: Donkey Kong Country, Earthbound, Megaman X, Super Mario RPG, Super Mario World, Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, Super Ninja Boy
PC - Windows 95: Command and Conquer
PSX: Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy IX, Final Fantasy Tactics, Monster Rancher
N64: Super Smash Bros.
PC - Windows 98/ME: Diablo II, Half-Life: Counter-Strike, Half-Life: Team Fortress Classic, Starcraft
GCN: Super Smash Bros. Melee
PC - Windows XP: Command and Conquer: Red Alert 2, Ragnarok Online
360: Mass Effect
PS3: inFAMOUS, Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction, Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time, Uncharted 2
Wii: Super Smash Bros. Brawl
PC - Windows Vista/7: Borderlands, Company of Heroes, Dragon Age Origins, Fallout 3, Left 4 Dead, Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, Sins of a Solar Empire, Team Fortress 2

My, my.. have we come a long ways...
leontius
Woah those are really old games... Even though I'm not that old, I still played some of those games (e.g. the original Command and Conquer, Final Fantasy...). I like how they appeal to me without depending on magnificent graphics.
LostOverThere
Quote:
N64: Super Smash Bros.
GCN: Super Smash Bros. Melee
Wii: Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Guy definitely likes his Super Smash Bros! Personally, I always had a soft sport for Mario Kart 64. I used to play it a fair bit when I was younger. Smile
jigoku05
QrafTee wrote:
NES: Megaman 3, Super Mario Bros. 3
PC - DOS: Dig Dug, Wheel of Fortune
PC - Windows 3.1: Billy the Kid, Speed Racer

PC - Windows 95: Command and Conquer

PC - Windows 98/ME: Diablo II, Half-Life: Counter-Strike, Half-Life: Team Fortress Classic, Starcraft

PC - Windows XP: Command and Conquer: Red Alert 2, Ragnarok Online

PC - Windows Vista/7: Borderlands, Company of Heroes, Dragon Age Origins, Fallout 3, Left 4 Dead, Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, Sins of a Solar Empire, Team Fortress 2

My, my.. have we come a long ways...

Excuse me, I just wanna ask if why did you separate PC games? what does it have to do with Operating System? Can't you play DOS games in windows 7? Or Dragon Age in XP?
QrafTee
jigoku05 wrote:
Excuse me, I just wanna ask if why did you separate PC games? what does it have to do with Operating System? Can't you play DOS games in windows 7? Or Dragon Age in XP?
I don't know, I just felt like it... being thorough. A Wii could play GCN games, but I didn't list Super Smash Bros. Melee as a Wii game. Anyway, another reason for separating it because the games are on a different level in terms of a timeline. Basically, I don't know why. Haha.
wombatrpgs
Have to love the old Legend of Zelda II... Though I swear I'm the only person I can find who didn't hate it.
Insanity
I've played my Nintendo to death with Super Mario (pretty much all of them), and that game where you shoot ducks with a lightgun (duck hunt?). Those were the days, before I got my SNES, which opened up a whole new world for me. Then I got my computer, and it was all over.
Flakky
I played too many Super Mario Kart, Super Mario, Killer Instinct, F-Zero and Donkey Kong country 2. Awesome days on the snes. I played a lot of pokemon too in the past.
amperx
famicom:
ff1
all mario from1 - 3 Very Happy
nes:
that shooter with a dog, you know it laughs when you miss lol
snes:
ff2
ff3
gboy:
pokemon red
pokemon blue
spinout
My first was the Atari 2600 - empire strikes back, q bert

But after that the Commodore 64 was the big platform - well 1 out of 10 games were good at that time... still some memorable was ; barry mcguigan boxing, uridium, choplifter, boulder dash, aso
fahq
I can think of Super Mario Bros, Mario Kart. A game that I was thinking of because the movie was just recently on was Goldeneye. My brother and I and two of our friends when we were younger spent countless hours playing it. Good memories
piyush
I like age of empires a lot.Firstly because the system requirements are less.Secondly it can be played on lan.It is a game where initially you have to collect the resources,build your city,then build your army,upgrade your army,perform researches and be the ultimate conquerer.
Jamatu
Snes: Super Mario, Bomber Man
PC: Diablo 2 (late ninties but i'll add it anyway!), Baldur's Gate
Super Mega-Drive: Sonic

Ah the memories! I feel very nostalgic reading this thread Razz
akhil26
Nice thread. Thanks
budazz
When I was a kid. I used to play any MARIO Games.

As I grew older I still play video games. but more mature ones

I Like real time strategy games.

C & C,Warcraft and Starcraft to name a few.

I love sports games also : NBA 2k10

And First Person shooter : MW2 and now the bad company 2.

I play more on PC. upgraded my Rig just to play games.

CHEERS Very Happy
Starrfoxx
In the 80's, I loved "Star Raiders" on the Atari 5200. I played Flight Simulator II a lot on the Commodore 64 and the Amiga. Arcade games from those days I loved were Spy Hunter, Elevator Action, Dragon's Lair, and Space Ace.

In the 90's, I would say Sonic the Hedgehog and Streets of Rage 1 & 2 on the Genesis. I also liked Starfox on the SNES.

In the 00's, by far it was the original Sims and all it's expansions. Also, I would include Sims 2, SimCity 4, and Civilization (just started playing it) in there as well.
Diablosblizz
Oh boy... I'm surprised I haven't posted here.

Mid 90's - Sonic the Hedgehog (all of them baby - Genesis Days)
Late 90's - Mario 64, LoZ:OoT (N64 Days)
Early - Mid 2000's - Melee, LoZ: MM, LoZ: WW, Mario Sunshine, Starcraft, Diablo 2, Age of Empires 2 (N64 and Gamecube days)
Recent - MW2, ME1 & ME2, GTA4, Halo 3, Just Cause 2, Brawl, LoZ: TP, Mario Galaxy, Starcraft 2, Dragon Age, Left 4 Dead 1 & 2, Fallout 3 (360 and PC days)

I was a Nintendo kid for the longest time. In 2009 I bought my own xBox 360 and have kind of moved away from Nintendo a bit. I am still a Mario / Zelda fan though, so I keep the Wii very close. Smile
chunl3
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy III
Secret of Mana
sosoayaen
Gameboy - Super Mario, Pokemon Red
Gameboy Advance - lots of mini games
NES - Super Mario, FireFlame
SNES - FireFlame

PS1:
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII

PS2:
God of War I/II

PSP:
Monster Hunter 1/2/2G - The best PSP game as I thought~
wombatrpgs
Ha, minigames for GBA? Like Wario Ware?
toasterintheoven
Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy III, and Secret of Mana
smsmcfarland
-deleted-
rayxzero
SNES:
Super Mario Bros 3
Legend of Zelda
Double Dragon II
Ninja Gaiden 2
Contra

Playstation 1:
Suikoden 1,2
Legend of Legaia
Final Fantasy

Playstation 2:
Devil May Cry
God of War
wombatrpgs
smsmcfarland wrote:
Pajama Sam... don't judge me.

Hey, those weren't bad at all.
Starrfoxx
Pong. Laughing
The-Nisk
Final Fantasy VII.
Segun3d
My games ranges from stupid to tight....

1. Pacman
2. Shipwars
3. tank wars
4. Mario Bros.
5. Contra Force
6. Mortal Combat
7. Street fighter
8. Terminator
9. Siphon filter
10. Gran torismo
11. Gran Theft Auto (Liberty City)
12. Rise to Honur
13. Tommorow neva dies.
And many more cant list them alll....
Seams
SNES:
Super Mario World
Earthbound
Crono Trigger
Mario Kart
Super Mario All Star

N64:
Mario 64
Goldeneye

PS1:
Resident Evil: Directors Cut
Resident Evil 2
spinout
I suppose asteroids and pacman was the better ones. Asteroids must be the best ever. Space castle was good too.
Adalew
Super Mario
Call of Duty
7 Days to Die
The Walking Dead
Utopia GFR
Back in the old days, I played a lot on my Atari Lynx, Gameboy (the first version) , XBOX and my i486 DX2 system.

As far as I can remember, I spent countless hours on :

- Doom (PC).
- Quake (PC).
- Duke Nukem 3D (PC).
- Gauntlet (Lynx).
- Slime world (Lynx).
- California games (Lynx).
- Batman returns (Lynx).
- Tetris (Gameboy).
- Crimson Skies High Road to Revenge on XBOX (I might have played close to 1000 hours, especially online).

If I have to go even further in my youth, I played lots of Pacman (I still do on STEAM) and some Brøderbund games on my Apple 2 EUROPLUS including some pinball games.

Now, I play lots of Pinball FX² (on STEAM) even though I do miss Pinball Dreams.

I've always been very passionate about videogames Smile
Pippo90
Rome and Medieval II: Total War (with Kingdoms expansion!)

Sid Meier's Civilization IV and V

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, Warrior Within, and The Two Thrones (the only video game my father has ever bought me)

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Fallout 3 and New Vegas
Crypted
I mainly played the Nintendo 64.

Games like..
Mario Cart
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Rush 2049
Vigilante 8
Donkey Kong
sudipbanerjee
I didn't play too much video games. But I like card games.
Peterssidan
I remember my dad bringing his work computer home and I played Commander Keen 4. The computer didn't have colours so the pistols in the roof and on the floor was not easy to see. At that time I never got very far. I didn't finish it until many years later on a different computer (with colours).

To the NES I played a lot of Super Mario Bros. 3 and other games.

Some of the earliest computer games that I played a lot where Worms Reinforcements, WarCraft II, Diablo, and Dungeon Keeper Gold.
ElSouq
Late 80s/early 90s kid.

I'd have to say super mario bros, metroid, final fantasy and the old LoZs were my favorite until LoZ:OOT came out. It's been my #1 favorite ever since, even till now.
Insanity
I bought a gameboy when I was younger and I played a lot of that growing up especially on long car trips.
codersfriend
Super Mario. Everyone's favorite Very Happy
playfungames
I grew up in the 90s and here are a few games that I loved playing while growing up

Games I played in my Chinese Gaming Machine called Terminator II (In my home)

1. Super Mario Bros
2. Contra (the entire series)
3. Duck Hunt
4. Final Fight
5. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Games I played outside in Video Game Arcades

1. Street Fighter (a couple of versions)
2. King of Fighters (a number of games in this series as well)
3. Mighty Final Fight or Final Fight II
4. World Heroes II: Jet
5. Waku Waku 7
6. Dungeons and Dragons II: Shadow Over Mystera
7. Samurai Showdown II

Well, I was one of those kids who played a lot of games. I spent a lot of time in the arcades. It's funny how after almost 20 years, I can still remember the name of the games almost exactly. I even remember the layout of the arcade that I used to play in and which game machines were placed where.

Now I rarely get a chance to play on my PS3 and spend my time playing time consuming addictive and sort of stupid games like Clash of Clans in my mobile phone. Times have certainly changed.
Utopia GFR
Well, I'm from the seventies.

Used to play a lot of retro games back in the old days.

Grew up with Space Invaders, Pac Man, the first handheld game consoles (Atari Lynx, Game Gear) and owned quite an important list of games.

Played a lot of Gauntlet, Todd's Adventures in Slime World, Shadow of the Beast and many more.

I was pretty much addicted to the Tomb Raider Series since day one (1996).

My list of favorite games of all time would be mixed up between PC and consoles :

PC :
Retro Games
Doom series
Quake series
Tomb Raider series
Command & Conquer series
Red Alert series
Age of Empire series
Metal Slug series

Consoles :
Crimson Skies High Road to Revenge (XBOX)
Atari Lynx titles
Megadrive (still enjoy the Sonic series)
Final Fantasy VII

and many many more.

I find quite a lot of retro gems on Steam that give me pure gaming nostalgia Very Happy
spinout
Hm, as for non arcade, non atari2600 hm I go for rally speedway on c64, I played it the other year and it sucked Smile hm decathlon was a big title, I heard of kids making their own controls to make the runners move faster. exploding fist...