FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How on earth does Dan Brown get all this hype?

Enterprise
Seriously. I'm currently reading the Lost Symbol and can't help but be disappointed. I like his stuff well enough, and one thing he is good at is making me feel smart because of how stupid he obviously expects his audience to be. I like a good conspiracy theory as much as the next person, and so I have a general knowledge of most of the stuff he talks about. Some of the things Langdon presents are only from one extreme side, and other times it's as if he is purposely taking things that real "experts" laugh at and treating them as if they're great secrets of the universe. And don't even get me started on his characters.

Robert Langdon is a self-insert. And it's painful at times. I especially want to wince every time he tries to purposely flaw Langdon so to make him seem more human, when all it is is just giving him an excuse to angst. His refusal to accept that some things aren't myths is just grating, because we all know that by their very mention they aren't. We don't need him to say "But that's just a legend!" every two pages, because we're already going into this story with the open mind to say, okay, this stuff is total bull in the real world but I'll let it go because this is fiction. It doesn't make him seem real, it makes him seem pathetic.

His bad guys are indistinguishable. I don't think I need to even bother going into detail with this, if you've read his works, you already know. The Lost Symbol's big baddie is no different.

It's an alright book, don't get me wrong. It passed time well during my holiday travels, and I don't regret reading it, but seriously. Sometimes when I hear him being praised, I just want to go get a Stephen King book and shove it down their throats. His stories are more or less engaging, and it does feel good to just read something that doesn't really require much thought because he lays out everything that happens and is going to happen without taking any more than baby steps to hide it. It's quite fine to like him, but please don't call him great. He just isn't.
FunDa
Hmmm .. I was going to read the lost symbol some time back, and actually read the first chapter, but then I had some important stuff to take care fo that I forgot all about it.

I read a few of Dan Brown's other books - The Da VInci Code, Angels and Demons, Digital Fortress and like that he has mixed up enough facts in his fiction to make u think whether what he mentioned might be true fact or a part of his fiction alone ...

Will have to complete the book sometime soon... But first, to find who has it now Sad
loyal
Peace.

I agree with you, Enterprise. The problem is when books that are good, but not incredibly amazing, are called incredibly amazing. Brown would be one such author, and the twilight series author is another. It's annoying. You end up having people who say they disliked the book or people who say it's the best book either.
FunDa
Twilight ?? That deserves a whole new topic altogether. I don't want to talk about it.

I have to say that I haven't read the twilight books yet or seen the movies yet. But seeing the crazy discussions and fights going on about whether it was "like the bestest ever ..." I just want to say "No comments" I Haven't and am not watching the movie anytime soon.
loyal
FunDa wrote:
Twilight ?? That deserves a whole new topic altogether. I don't want to talk about it.

I have to say that I haven't read the twilight books yet or seen the movies yet. But seeing the crazy discussions and fights going on about whether it was "like the bestest ever ..." I just want to say "No comments" I Haven't and am not watching the movie anytime soon.

Ha ha. There's definitely too much hype and obession about that series. It's just an averagely written series of books. I've heard there are harry potter versus twilight "wars" in some parts of america lol.
Peace.
lagoon
All I can guess is that he has friends in high places in the media...
welshsteve
I think you, just like so many other people, are taking his books too serious. They are "FICTION" novels. Yes, Dan Brown states that the societies and places depicted in his books are real, but he does not state that the activities of these societies etc are real.

If people just accepted his writings as fiction, all this stupid fuss would go away.
zbale
Yes, good question...

Part (but only a small part) of the answer may be that there is a kind of "inflation" in praise, which can become self-sustained if a critical mass is reached:

- at the level of the people, if everybody is telling you that a book is great, it's harder to be the one not finding it great. Also, people tend to judge with extremes (even when people want to say they are not so good at, say, bowling, they will in fact tend to say they "suck at it" rather than saying they're just not so good at it).

- even before that, at the level of reviews in newspapers, magazines, etc., there is the fact that if the book is a hit the reviewer does not want to be the person who wrote that it was just "ok" - after all, today's media see themselves as setting the tone and deciding who is worthy of interest or not, who shall live and who shall die (and they don't want to be contradicted by the audience response, god forbid). So, if there is the slightest chance that the public will like the book (especially if a former book by the same author was a hit), the reviewer will be hoping to write the definitive phrase that may eventually appear on the cover of the book itself (i.e. free publicity for the magazine): something like "The best thriller of the year --- Der Schnitzel". For that to happen, you'd better not be lukewarm in your praise of the book.
Afaceinthematrix
I can't stand Dan Brown. I read three of his books: The DaVinci Code, Angels and Demons, and Digital Fortress. I personally thought all three of them sucked. You are right in that he expects his audience to be stupid - and much of his readers are stupid. Everyone knew a couple of those people who read The DaVinci Code a few years ago and then walked around like they were all-knowing instead of realizing that it was a fictional book... Besides, I don't hate him just because of that... I hate him because I personally think that his stories are boring and that his writing style is terribly annoying. He jumps around a lot to focus on what is happening with multiple characters. That is fine, but he needs to work on his transitions. Nothing is done smoothly. So overall, I just don't like him. But many people do and that is okay. I just tend to think that the people who worship him don't do too much reading and haven't gotten the opportunity to read stuff that is real good.
HalfBloodPrince
Realize that his books before The daVinci Code (Digital Fortress, Deception Point, and Angels & Demons) sold very very few copies and Brown was almost unheard of. TdVC's initial print run was mostly given away for free as a promotion but became popular because it directly accuses the church of lying.
Gomamon
I'm not a big fan of his books too, but ended up reading The Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons because of all the hype. I appreciate all the research and work he put into his writing, but his style is just not my cup of tea.
welshsteve
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
... You are right in that he expects his audience to be stupid - and much of his readers are stupid.

You know them all personally do you? What a ridiculous statement. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and just because one person doesn't like something, doesn't make everyone else stupid for liking the very same thing.
Afaceinthematrix
welshsteve wrote:
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
... You are right in that he expects his audience to be stupid - and much of his readers are stupid.

You know them all personally do you? What a ridiculous statement. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and just because one person doesn't like something, doesn't make everyone else stupid for liking the very same thing.

What the Hell? Did you even read my statement? I said, "... You are right in that he expects his audience to be stupid - and much of his readers are stupid."

I said that MANY of them are. So why do you ask, "You know them all personally do you?" Do I need to know them all? Do I even need to know a specific percentage of them? No. I can meet a hundred of them and see that they're all stupid and be able to accurately say that statement.

I know plenty of people who read The DaVinci Code and Angels and Demons and then prance around like they're all enlightened because they know a bunch of false "facts" about the Illuminati or antimatter (because reading Dan Brown really qualifies you as a world class physicist... why am I even in college spending all this money studying when I can just read Dan Brown?) or about the church...

Furthermore, look at the rest of your ridiculous statement: Everyone is entitled to their opinion and just because one person doesn't like something, doesn't make everyone else stupid for liking the very same thing.

Did I ever say that someone is stupid for not liking the same thing? Uhhh... no! I don't care if you like those crappy books or not. I specifically said that people were stupid because they read those fictional books and then prance around like they're all-knowing because they actually think that those fictional books are true...

So please, actually learn to read and comprehend what someone says before you rant on about something that doesn't actually respond to what was actually said...