FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Anybody using ubuntu in here?

lbs
Anybody using ubuntu in here? I have been using kubuntu for about 6 months and loving it! It has a few strange quirks, but I am really looking forward to the next release. Some things like SD and flash card mounting and intermitant root problems make it trying sometimes, but I think it is headed in the right direction for shure! I have been using linux since 2001 and gone through quit a few distros, and so fare ubunto is my favorite. Do you use ubuntu? Share you experiances here. What do you like and not like? What problems have you had and how did you fix them?
vinx_18
i've been using UBUNTU since 2004. I'm loving it. The only problem for me is when installing some devices. But I know UBUNTU community is looking forward to this.
Daniel15
Yeah, I use Ubuntu on my laptop, and I love it Very Happy. I've been using Ubuntu since version 5.04 came out (April 2005), and it's been getting better ever since Smile.

Quote:
Some things like SD and flash card mounting

I think they're almost there... The SD card reader of my laptop (a Dell Inspiron 6400) used to not work at all, but now it works partially (if I boot up with the SD card in the slot, it works, but once I remove the card, it will no longer be detected if I reinsert it).
Stubru Freak
I used it for 3 months, it was so great. Only problem: my internet was 10 times faster in Windows. So I'm using Windows again, the last 3 months, but I'm missing the Ubuntu features every day.
Animal
Moved to Operating Systems.
Arno v. Lumig
Stubru Freak wrote:
I used it for 3 months, it was so great. Only problem: my internet was 10 times faster in Windows. So I'm using Windows again, the last 3 months, but I'm missing the Ubuntu features every day.

Boot up Ubuntu and FireFox, type about:config in the URL bar. Type ipv6 in the search bar, press enter. One entry will show up, right click it and select "switch" or something like that. That will most likely help.
Goodluck.

I've also used Ubuntu for a while, first 6.06, later 6.10. Now I switched to fedora, which I like even more except for the bloat that comes with it. I'm thinking of installing DSL, but I'm not really sure how hard it is to install drivers etc on there... I heard it's debian based, so it shouldn't be that hard, but it doesn't use x server for example, it uses a lighter alternative...

Greetz,
Arno
Stubru Freak
Arno v. Lumig wrote:
Stubru Freak wrote:

Boot up Ubuntu and FireFox, type about:config in the URL bar. Type ipv6 in the search bar, press enter. One entry will show up, right click it and select "switch" or something like that. That will most likely help.
Goodluck.

I've done that, it didn't help a lot. And it's not just the web, my msn loses connection a lot, e-mail doesn't work properly, ...
WickedGravity
I have been using Ubuntu off an on since the initial release way back when. I love every feature and, when there is an error, which always occurs with everything I may add, the community is a wonderful resource to get your box fixed and back online as soon as you can type in the code.

I have found that my Internet is faster with Ubuntu than with Windows and I have found that my entire Internet experience (pop-ups, malware, etc...) has been a thousand fold better because of a *nix based OS.

I have contributed heavily to some wiki's regarding the customization of Ubuntu and, believe ti or not, have actually received thank you emails from users who have used the information i provided. Try and get that on a Windows Dev Forum. Wink

All ina ll, yes, Ubuntu has a little growing up to do, but it is on it's way to becoming a big thorn in the side of Mr. Gates and the Vista world.
drioo
I'm using Ubuntu 6.10 edgy x86 Wink
Nice distrib Smile
cvkien
i am using ubuntu also and i think it is still linux, so i feel like it is almost same like red hat. and i have the same problems also when using it which i can't install some devices and yes, i am new to linux, so i had serious problems when using it too, and the most serious problem is i can't configure the network and i can't get into the internet, even i had ubuntu install into my pc but it is limited to me to use it... (mad of myself... lol... cause can't use it nicely...)
drioo
There is just one problem for me - TV Tuner is not supported.
desertwind
Ya recently I moved out from FC6 to Ubuntu. But this is also temporary. I'll be switching to gentoo shortly.
LostOverThere
My friend moved from Ubuntu to Mandriva 2007, even though he loved he dear old Ubuntu, its just Mandriva '07, has 3d Desktop, and can run Games such as Half Life 2, WoW, Splinter Cell etc.
ltwomba
Ubuntu rocks! I've tried Mandriva, SuSE, Fedora, Debian and Linspire... I prefer Ubuntu by far. So much software, so easy to use.
It's the best one for new Linux users, give it a try!
osbits
I am on it . Although I am a newerby , I love it.
makak
I'm using Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy Eft 1 months this is great system Very Happy
Qualla
Ubuntu Drake is as easy an install as you will find. For the curious, just download the iso burn your cd and use it without touching your current OS. Then when you want to install the easy and safe route is to install a second hdd in your computer and use that as the second OS. Read the supported printer list, not every printer is going to work.
cavbela
i ve used ubuntu for a mounth. i had problem at partition but i solve it. .. . and i think it is very good. . ..
chougard
I use Ubuntu sometimes. It's a little to slow though. Loved it till it deleted my Windows Vista boot file.
angelussum
I use ubuntu. I like it. Pretty easy to install, easy to run. I'd recommend trying it.
pluto
I've been using Ubuntu for the past year and I love it! Ubuntu is easy to use, and requires less re-starts compared to windows.
defnet
I play around with all kinda distros but I maily use Windows for internet work and entertainment. I do think that Ubuntu runs kinda slow on some mechs.
I downloaded the ISO and burnt it use it as a livecd but I keeps freezing. I tried it on AMDs and Intels (not old ones, Im talking P4s and dual core mechs). I guess there is something wrong with the image I downloaded. Maybe i should get the dvdimage. Confused I guess not...Tooo big
photon
ive been using ubuntu for more than a year, but dont use it frequently though. ive also tried out red hat, suse and all, but think ubuntu is the best distro right now.... the next release does seem very promising! cant wait to get hold of it
Jools64
I have ubuntu and windows on my computer and I use ubuntu for art and homework.
william
I have Ubuntu along with Windows on a dual boot. Though I don't use it much, it's still really nice. I love many of the features and the nice design.

Oh yeah, just never boot it from your CD drive. I used it on a 52x CD-ROM drive and it was really slow.

Overall, Ubuntu is a great and free operating system.
yy1124
I have Ubuntu as well...

I love Linux(although I am not good with it) but I am thinking of dual boot windows recently, I miss games~
urangkayo
i using ubuntu since 2 years ago, and like this distro

have a big support from community
TheGeek
I was a big fan of slackware for the simple reason that I was familiar with it because it is what I started out on. I moved on to Debian after a while and I loved that. I tried Ubuntu 6.06 when it was released, but was not crazy about it, 6.10 is the same way (with more bugs I have found). All in all, I use Debian...so I guess it's close enough.
rhathar
I used to use Dapper for a while and got seduced back to Windows for the gaming aspect, but I reinstalled it about four months ago and have been happy since =)

I upgraded to Efty (6.10), and I don't notice a huge upgrade but it's still pretty awesome.

If only I could get NWN2 to run, I'd never need Windows again :/
TheGeek
Have you tried using wine yet? All you need to do to install it (i cant remember if it comes pre-installed or not as I only used wine with debian and installed software is different on Ubuntu) is use synaptic to download it and then in consol type in wine installer.exe file and it will install it anywhere on your linux partition you tell it to. Then when you want to play it do wine game.exe file to play it. Wine works on almost all games I have tried with the exception of DX games and some of the really really new ones that support hasn't been made for yet.
Daniel15
Yeah, I use Wine, it's quite good (and getting better with every release).
If you'd like to get newer games working, you may be interested in obtaining Cedega, as they're mainly focused on DirectX emulation (it costs US$4 per month for a subscription, I think).

Quote:
(i cant remember if it comes pre-installed or not as I only used wine with debian and installed software is different on Ubuntu

The Ubuntu repositories have Wine, but it's an older version. You can download the latest Ubuntu Wine package from winehq.com Smile
TheGeek
I would love to try Codega, but I personally don't believe in paying for a program if I am using a free operating system. The whole point of Linux is to have a free, open source environment. In my mind, though I know the deffinition used in the GPL of "free" is not monetary, if you use linux you should try as hard as possible to get things to work under your own power or using something that is free of cost as well as open source to accomplish what you are trying to do.
Daniel15
Quote:
I would love to try Codega, but I personally don't believe in paying for a program if I am using a free operating system.

Yeah, same here...
I always check back to the Wine website to see if a new release has come out. It's improved significantly with the new releases, and some games (World of Warcraft is one of them) work perfectly under Wine Smile
TheGeek
Wine works great for me especially because I usually don't worry about brand new games (exceptions being must have games like HL2 and Oblivion) since they are usually more expensive then I would like them to be when released and usually drop in price after a month or two.
samsundar
i am using ubuntu since 2 months.But i am searching drives for my devices.I found some but still searching some devices.
outofnicks
I've used Ubuntu for a year now, recently I added kubuntu-desktop and I like it much more than Gnome. I have wine but don't use it much, except for web testing in Internet Exploder plus backgammon with 3DFibs--username macncheese.
I was a Mac-only person before Linux, never used Windows but bought a Dell PC just for Linux.
Pyr0kz1d3
I recently installed xubuntu (very recently) and i am so far, very impressed Very Happy

It has a good, easy to use gui. Comes with some great software, and uses very little ram Cool Its great!
Caramelo
ubuntu i had recently starting using ubuntu and it's a nice operating system about 3 months ago its very good system...
Maxus
Ubuntu rules Very Happy
I'm using it since 6months, I came from Debian but ubuntu is better for desktop.
It amazing how easy you can install progs, and xgl is greeeeaat Very Happy