FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

In The Name of the Rose

angfrayle
I wonder whether any of you have read Umberto Eco's "In the Name of the Rose?" (circa 1980s). It had a movie version with Sean Connery playing the lead role. If you've read it, what do you think of it?
tdossi
"The Name of the Rose" I think this is great. I think we should have ungeding read. Oh, the movie, I think this is great.

The first novel by Umberto Eco, a combination of intelligent, bright-researched historical thriller and exciting process of postmodern narrative and interpretive theory, as the author himself had presented in several papers, both rekindled enthusiasm for the Middle Ages of the 1980s and an overwhelming interest in The recent Italian literature.
Content: The Franciscan monk William of Baskerville, a transferee to medieval Sherlock Holmes, while the alter ego of the author, comes in 1327, together with the novice Adson of Melk, the narrator later, in a fictional Benedictine monastery in northern Italy. Here, just the violent death of a brother, the abbot has put in turmoil because of his explosive visit to the abbey stands in the house. Delegations of the Franciscan Order and the Avignon Pope should negotiate on matters of faith, revolve around the poverty of Christ. Among them is Williams archenemy, the inquisitor Bernard Gui. Like a detective, William of making the enlightenment of the death, followed by other killings.
At the heart of the complicated events is the search for the only copy not in fact received the second book of Aristotle's Poetics of R, the comedy, and thus the subversive laughter would be justified. Spatial Center, the library is above the scriptorium, which corresponds to the book as a drawing accompanying the universal blueprint labyrinthine library at R Jorge Luis Borges. Only those who fathomed the secret of this library and the blind monk Jorge of Burgos, decrypts the string of crimes.
angfrayle
That's a nice synopsis. Where did you get it? OR did you compose it yourself?
tdossi
In a preface titled "Naturally, an old manuscript, dated to the fifth not January 1980 (Ecos 48th birthday), but marked with their name, the story as a retelling of a lost ancient manuscript is issued. This story is set against the historical background of a dispute between the pope and the religious orders and revolves around a medieval Benedictine abbey, happened in the mysterious murders. The English Franciscan monk William of Baskerville, who is in a highly political mission as special envoy of the emperor on the road is asked to identify the perpetrators. He opens up a world of religious feuds, forbidden passions and criminal energy. At the end with an undisclosed book revolves around the burns, the whole Abbey.

The novel is analogous to the seven trumpets of the biblical Apocalypse divided in seven days and is full of philosophical and literary allusions and quotations.
tdossi
The Franciscan monk William of Baskerville and his novice Adso of Melk travel in 1327 in an abbey of Cluny in the Apennines, where William will take part in a theological dispute. The spirituals of the Franciscan Order since Ubertino Casale is already in the monastery. Upon arrival, ask William the Abbot of the Monastery of Abbo Fossanova after a recent death. This tells the monk that was disfigured and illustrator Adelmo Otranto cruel found on the side of a tower. Everything points to suicide. However, runs counter to the fact that the window from which he was found not to be opened.

William solves the puzzle, but it joins a series of murders of several monks. Next victim is a Greek translator of Venantius Salvemec, the clues point to a poisoning. It is found in the butcher shop of the monastery, headfirst in a large kettle full of pig's blood. Quickly spread among the monks, the belief that the apocalypse had occurred because of the circumstances surrounding deaths have similarity to a passage in Revelation. The assistant librarian Malachi of Hildesheim, Berengar of Arundel is found drowned in a bathtub with water. At autopsy discovered William, that has drowned the blackened fingers and a blackened tongue. William is a series of clues which suggest that the cause of the strange events at the monastery of the theft of a Greek book from the library of the monastery.
tdossi
As a historical film he made at that time also represents a dramatic feature, because it tells a fictional medieval history, staged this time not only as a setting, but as a historically authentic Handlungsort with specific content. "We do the film because we are interested in the whole situation of the Middle Ages, and not as a background for any story, but as an issue" (Bernd Eichinger during filming). Older historical films were either processed classical literary themes or stories set in modern historical garb. These two older versions are still popular today (eg Amadeus with real subject, and A Knight's Tale with a modern theme in some authentic setting), it was the great success of the film to the fact that by the end of the eighties increasingly time-accurate historical films with fictitious acts were produced.As a historical film he made at that time also represents a dramatic feature, because it tells a fictional medieval history, staged this time not only as a setting, but as a historically authentic Handlungsort with specific content. "We do the film because we are interested in the whole situation of the Middle Ages, and not as a background for any story, but as an issue" (Bernd Eichinger during filming). Older historical films were either processed classical literary themes or stories set in modern historical garb. These two older versions are still popular today (eg Amadeus with real subject, and A Knight's Tale with a modern theme in some authentic setting), it was the great success of the film to the fact that by the end of the eighties increasingly time-accurate historical films with fictitious acts were produced.
portoskt
i liked movie, but book most
tdossi
Of course, no literary adaptation to the ideas of all readers needs.
When a plant is mostly faithful adaptation lost something, especially novels, yet because of the length.
Except maybe if the bill is written really badly.

The situation is different if the film is the template-free operated, ie motives, actions, etc., and changed not only shortened. Inevitably arises then yes something new, and may be perceived as better by some. Often, however, because of personal taste plays a role.
I found e.g. Kubrick's version of "The Shining", which many find so great, not good at all. Kubrick interprets the events to completely remove the supernatural elements (which comes naturally with the critics much better).
Kudos to the scriptwriters, that they have made such a subterranean template such a great series.
tdossi
"The Dead Poets Society."

If I can make out quite inexplicable how such a loveless template to a wonderful film ...

Blade Runner was actually better than some of the more consistent and, above all Roman spun.

In most novel adaptations of literary style is better, because they can go more in depth. Film can now tell time with pictures and sound, there is the psychology of the characters often rather superficial. If only because the narrative possibilities of the film is the ideal template anyway more of a short story, a novel or a play. A novel is usually really too long for him to film adequately.
tdossi
For me this is a good example of Harry Potter. In the first part I had only seen the films and found them really well. Then I started to read the books and was not exactly bored, because it simply occur much more detail and also people that do not occur in the films. So there was much new in it. The 5th Part was the first in which I've only read the book and then I just looked at the film. I was so impressed by the film is definitely not as of the first parts. In the last part I refuse to just strictly reading the book before I saw the movie not to mess around me.
A nice experience was also MIB II Since I have only read half the book, then gekuckt the movie and then read the rest of the book. The beginning of the movie was a bit boring because I had such expectations unfulfilled. The rest of the book was quite good and then again very interesting.

What is pleasant is also due, as the book or the movie were implemented. There are books that have been filmed almost 1 to 1, or books that have been heavily modified in the film-mentation. There are also movie novels that have been created or after a movie and where there is a difference, whether the author is simply the plot of the film has been written down, or whether there are additional details in it. If a book really just exactly what it say what occurred in the film, it's also boring to read the book after the movie. And if you see the movie as a summary of the book looks, or the book as an additional source of information about the film, remains a matter of taste somewhere.
tdossi
1327 - This figure does not just hide a mysterious death and 3 heretics, two strangers who want to solve the mystery, and 7 days before the apocalypse will come upon the people. The number is also the year in the play The Name of the Rose. The late Middle Ages is the background of this fascinating detective story that casually gives private lessons in religion, faith and superstition.
Sean Connery plays the infamous for his perspicacity and his nonconformity Franciscan monk William of Baskerville. He is accompanied by his novice Adso, played by Christian Slater, who is the narrator, looking back at the same time strange events. William is in explosive mission: He must mediate between two religious factions. When he and Adso arrive at the remote abbey in the Italian Alps, but they are most in demand as a reconnaissance mysterious murder cases.
tdossi
The Name of the Rose by director Jean-Jacques Annaud is a major European production and successful implementation of Umberto Eco's literary source, the character is a university professor and researcher. The multilayered plot of the novel is slashed in favor of an exciting drama. The name of the rose cost by European standards astounding $ 17 million, but played one too many times (worldwide over 77 million dollars). The success is due not only to the high-caliber ensemble of actors. Even the authentic features of the film, which contributes much to the gloomy atmosphere of The Name of the Rose drew the praise of critics and audiences alike to themselves. For the multinational film team turned not only to historical sites in Germany and Italy, but built up in the Cinecitta studios in Rome, a medieval convent with the 30-meter library tower, at the end effectively by the name of the rose is destroyed by fire .