FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


FlightGear - Free Open Source Flight Simulator





Magicman
Has anyone played FlightGear? It's a free open source cross-platform flight simulator with many extra planes available for download. It is actually very involved and I don't know how to make everything work quite right. It is still fun even thought the main simulator really has no point. You can download an add-on which allows you to race in a predefined course to get the best time.

http://flightgear.org
leontius
Are you sure that this is a game? From what I know, simulators are used by researchers and pilot trainees to help training and "simulation"...
David_Pardy
Leontius, there have been flight simulator games around for YEARS. Seriously, Microsoft have been making a 'Flight Simulator' series of games since the 80s. I used to play Flight Simulator 4 when I was growing up. I've played a few WW1, WW2 and other flight sims - such as Knights of the Sky, Chuck Yeager's Air Combat, Red Baron, LHX: Attack Chopper, European Air War, Battle of Britain 2... The list goes on, and I have barely played a fraction of the games out there! And if you want some serious realistic flying, give Battle of Britain 2 a go - www.a2asimulations.com

I've played Flightgear, albeit briefly. It seems good Smile.
leontius
David_Pardy wrote:
Leontius, there have been flight simulator games around for YEARS. Seriously, Microsoft have been making a 'Flight Simulator' series of games since the 80s. I used to play Flight Simulator 4 when I was growing up. I've played a few WW1, WW2 and other flight sims - such as Knights of the Sky, Chuck Yeager's Air Combat, Red Baron, LHX: Attack Chopper, European Air War, Battle of Britain 2... The list goes on, and I have barely played a fraction of the games out there! And if you want some serious realistic flying, give Battle of Britain 2 a go - www.a2asimulations.com

I've played Flightgear, albeit briefly. It seems good Smile.


Sorry... what I meant was that I was not sure whether flightgear was a simulation game or a scientific simulation program. Now that people seem to have fun playing flightgear, it is no doubt (or it can be deemed as) a game Smile
tony
I've played flightgear! (well, more accurately, I tried it once on my linux box and couldn't figure out how to take off the parking brake Razz, and consequently gave up). Well, the new screenshots look pretty cool - maybe I'll try it out again some time.
metalfreek
Flightgear is certainly a best game that opensource community has to offer. Its a bit complex initially as everyone has experienced. Since I am in Linux machine most of the time, having this game has made my life more easier on computer.

Very Happy
DeltaM
I just wish I had a joystick(spelling ? ) because i feel like playing a simulator on a regular keyboard is just... not the right feeling. With a joystick I'm sure It would have been great, always wanted to play some simulator since I tried it at a friends house but I've never realy just walked over to the store to boy the joystick I'm not prioriticing it high enough I guess.
David_Pardy
Flight simulators are the original reason I ever got a joystick... $20 for my first one, it was a 'Wingman Light' by Logitech, and lasted probably a few months before some hardcore Terminal Velocity made me break one of the plastic spring fittings Sad.

These days I'm running with a Logitech Extreme 3D, and I have a spare Attack 3 as well.

I haven't played Flightgear much lately as I prefer combat flight simulators, and also because I tend to focus on one game at a time.
Agent ME
It seems the flightgear website is down, and the copyright date on the stand-in page being in 2008 doesn't look too promising Razz However, flightgear seems to be in the Ubuntu Linux software repository, so I might try it.

David_Pardy wrote:
Flight simulators are the original reason I ever got a joystick... $20 for my first one, it was a 'Wingman Light' by Logitech, and lasted probably a few months before some hardcore Terminal Velocity made me break one of the plastic spring fittings Sad.

I remember that game, my Duke Nukem 3d disc had it (or at least a demo)! Wonder if it works in dosbox.
Magicman
Agent ME wrote:
It seems the flightgear website is down, and the copyright date on the stand-in page being in 2008 doesn't look too promising Razz


The FlightGear site isn't down: http://www.flightgear.org/ . I have no problem accessing that site. Try again maybe? You should definitely give it a try though, even if it is quite a large download.
wombatrpgs
Interesting... Might be worth a shot now that Microsoft's discontinuing their flight simulator.
David_Pardy
Agent ME - I recently played TV on DOSBox Very Happy It works! Very Happy
weableandbob
Not too into flight simulators, but if it's free, I'll check it out.
wombatrpgs
weableandbob wrote:
Not too into flight simulators, but if it's free, I'll check it out.


This has gotten me into a lot of the stuff I enjoy now...
amperx
whoa looking sweet, since its open source, then ill try to fiddle this one and see what i can learn too, nice
Starrfoxx
I'll have to look into this program. I've been following flight simulator games since I first started with it on the Commodore 64 and "Flight Simulator II" from SubLogic. I have some fond memories of flying around in that thing, and now I can't imagine playing that version again. It was all green land with lines for roads and patches for cities. But man, I logged tons of hours into it. I had the West Coast and the East Coast scenery packs on those old floppy (and I mean floppy) discs. Good times.

I went from the Commodore 64 to the Amiga computer, and I put in about as much time flying as I did the C64. From there, I went to a PC with FS95, 98, 2000, 2004, and then finally FSX. I haven't had a chance to play around with FSX that much, but it's sad that Microsoft closed up the studio that developed the game. There's always more that can be done to improve the simulator, although I admit that FS2004 and FSX are pretty polished already. Add 3rd party software, and it just gets better and better.

It'll be interesting to see if this open source simulator continues to develop and surpass FSX.
Related topics
Cheaper to patch--Windows or open source?
Openoffice => l'open source de reference...
Doom
Open Source Flash Editors?
free open source phone dialer....
templates
Open Source Software for Windows
A new Flight simulator network
Open Source alternatives
German Government Says No to Firefox
5 Best Open Source Remote Desktop Software 4 linux
Reasons you must SWITCH to LINUX
Open source CRM
Open source Reposities Hosting
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Sports and Entertainment -> Games

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.