FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Pakistani media

nam_siddharth
How much you trust the Pakistani media? There is a news floating in Pakistani news about literacy rate in India and Pakistan. It claims that Pakistan is ahead of India in literacy rate according to UN report.

http://www.thenews.com.pk/updates.asp?id=94347
Quote:
Updated at: 1131 PST, Thursday, December 24, 2009
Pakistan ahead of India in literacy rate: UN UNITED NATIONS: A United Nations agency UNFPA has said in its report that India lags behind Pakistan in literacy rate as the literacy rate here in Pakistan is much more higher than that of its rival neighbor.

According to report, total 32.3 percent male while 60.4 percent female aged above 15 years are literate in Pakistan,

But however, on the contrary to aforementioned calculation, there are only 23.1 percent male and 45.5 percent female aged over 15 years enjoy education in India.

But the fools have read the illiteracy rate of UN report as literacy rate. The figures they have shown is actually illiteracy figures in UN report.

Check it yourself
http://www.unfpa.org/swp/2009/en/pdf/EN_SOWP09_ICPD.pdf

If you think that it is mistake of a particular news paper of Pakistan then you are wrong. It is reported by more than one Pakistani news agency.
http://geo.tv/12-24-2009/55422.htm

Can we still trust Pakistani media?
deanhills
Good point. Amazing illiteracy figures however, wow, why are so many women illiterate in Pakistan? Are there just that many more females than males in the total population figure, or is there a lack of opportunities for education for females?

In India it seems the same, the female illiteracy percentage is almost double that of males. So either it has to do with the composition of the population, i.e. more females than males, or females have less opportunities for education than males.

Perhaps the comparison between Pakistan and India could be exaggerated, as there may be many more young children under the age of 15 in Pakistan than there are in India for example. I'm not convinced that there is that high a variance in illiteracy in Pakistan vs India. I do think it is higher, but the comparison percentage is higher than what would make sense to me.
mOrpheuS
Although propaganda is high when it comes to comparative stories between the two countries,
I don't think they would deliberately lie about a thing like that.

What they obviously need is better editors for their stories. Very Happy

p.s. - Given the way "Illiteracy" looks in the font used in that PDF document, I can see how a mistake like that could happen.
What I find more surprising is that they didn't see anything wrong with the figure - 60.4% female "literacy" against only 32.3% male "literacy" for their own country. Neutral
deanhills
mOrpheuS wrote:
What they obviously need is better editors for their stories. Very Happy:
Definitely. Those Editors have to have a very low and biased expectation as to the level of education in the two countries. I'm very cynical about stats. People can use it in a million ways and it may still obscure the real truth. For example, to get that kind of information on that massive scale, has to be flawed as living conditions for especially the poor in the two countries, where they do not live at permanent or fixed addresses must add to a great hit and miss percentage. Like how they were able to count all the heads of those aged 15 and younger. If illiteracy is that high, the percentage of getting the stats right by asking those who are illiterate to give information about the age of their children, has to be flawed by a very large percentage.
nam_siddharth
deanhills wrote:
mOrpheuS wrote:
Definitely. Those Editors have to have a very low and biased expectation as to the level of education in the two countries. I'm very cynical about stats. People can use it in a million ways and it may still obscure the real truth. For example, to get that kind of information on that massive scale, has to be flawed as living conditions for especially the poor in the two countries, where they do not live at permanent or fixed addresses must add to a great hit and miss percentage. Like how they were able to count all the heads of those aged 15 and younger. If illiteracy is that high, the percentage of getting the stats right by asking those who are illiterate to give information about the age of their children, has to be flawed by a very large percentage.

It is not under 15. It is over 15.
deanhills
nam_siddharth wrote:
deanhills wrote:
mOrpheuS wrote:

It is not under 15. It is over 15.
Thanks for pointing that out Embarassed Makes it even more difficult to count those who are illiterate/literate over the age of 15. Would be interesting to establish how they did the counts.
harismushtaq
In the last few years, the number of news papers and news channels have increased many folds. The more famous a channel/news paper is, the better advertisement it can get. I think that they keep searching all over the internet/other sources to find facts (or things that are not even facts yet) to make stories out of it.

This is however ridiculous. It is a foolish mistake and reflects the lack of quality assurance measures. It is very common to find grammer/spelling mistakes in news papers (please don't mention the same present in this post). "Money makes the man and even the donkeys go".
Aredon
I just find it to be completely ironic that they couldn't read the word illiteracy. Laughing