FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Christmas Lights

Nick2008
Yup, that time of year again, when we come out and dangle with the extension cords and burnt out bulbs.

I believe just about everyone has seen the house with the Christmas lights gone wild:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmgf60CI_ks

It was used in a Miller Lite commercial before.

Well, wait until you see this. If you thought one house was spectacular, how about a whole neighborhood? Don't believe me? Watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVkpBaf_eAo
Insanity
They must have one huge electric bill... one of the drawbacks to having a fancy lighting display of Christmas lights.
Nick2008
Insanity wrote:
They must have one huge electric bill... one of the drawbacks to having a fancy lighting display of Christmas lights.

Quote:

Side Note: Most of the neighborhood uses LED lights this year, so for those concerned we are wasting massive amounts of electricity, we are actually using 1/10th of the power as last year.

I guess LED lights bring the cost down quite a lot, but still, not your average electric bill.
missdixy
Haha, that first video is so creative! I love it! Too bad my mom would never be up to doing something like that... Confused
Nameless
Ah, Christmas lights, second only in pointless decorations to 'Santa stop here' signs.* In my experience, about 70% of houses put up a just enough lights to look tacky and meaningless, while 28% spam lights anywhere they can fit in the hope of winning some arbitrary competition or because they just hate stars like that. The remaining 2% actually look okay.
* Christmas trees technically have a purpose, as an incredibly inefficient storage compartment for boxes. I mean come on, surely you could save some of the sprawl by hanging the presents on the tree instead of tinsel.

Quote:
Side Note: Most of the neighborhood uses LED lights this year, so for those concerned we are wasting massive amounts of electricity, we are actually using 1/10th of the power as last year.

So they're wasting only moderate amounts of electricity. Well, that's okay then.
guissmo
Decorations should be minimized so that accidents regarding them wont be as destructive.
Magicman
I'm not sure if all the work and electricity that goes into this are worth any benefits which may come from it. I don't understand why people turn the whole decorating thing into a contest sometimes. This is an interesting display. I feel like something like that could be horribly distracting to motorists though.
Nameless
To be fair, a bad song on the radio, that jerk who just cut you off, or a hot chick waiting at a bus stop could all be horribly distracting ... That is to say, it's largely the fault of the motorists if they're distracted by something like Christmas lights.
deanhills
Thanks Nick, the Christmas Lights Gone Wild show was really impressive, especially the music. Nice change from the usual jingles. Really creative, wonder how they come up with these ideas.

I thought mhamad84's Xmas lighting in the Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to All thread was pretty spectacular. Lighted up the whole thread Smile :

Afaceinthematrix
Wow.... What a bloody waste of electricity! This just made me realize that Christmas is even more meaningless and pointless than I thought. I've always hated any form of Christmas decorations (actually, I hate any form of Christmas but that's another story).

Those neighbors would hate me. I would be the one pr*ck on the street that does NOTHING to decorate my house just so that I can ruin their whole display.
deanhills
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
Those neighbors would hate me. I would be the one pr*ck on the street that does NOTHING to decorate my house just so that I can ruin their whole display.
Or enhance theirs by leaving yours in darkness Wink? I like the lighting, especially in areas like Calgary where there is always snow around that time of the year and everyone takes great pride in doing their houses up. I'm not a Xmas jingle person (I prefer heavy metal rock sounds), but I like the lighting part of it when it is done well. I also like creative shows like the first tube show.
standready
I have always liked seeing icicle lights hanging off the gutters in 60 degree weather! LOL
Asap170
Sorry this is late but Merry Christmas....I posted this message via my new ZuneHD ( 32GB ).
apple
hmmm, I did not find them impressive. Maybe if I saw them live I'd have a different opinion. Right now I think its just a huge waste of time, effort and money.
carlospro7
Regardless of the bills and stuff, this is cool. My wife and I like to pay attention to the light decorations around Christmas.
pll
Wow it's kinda nice, but what a waste of energy!
Ghost900
Timing the lights with the entire neighborhood would be quite the job. We just put up one row of lights, it takes way to much work to make anything fancy. Smile
Arty
Christmas lights are getting crazier every year.
driftingfe3s
Been lazy for the past few years. I don't remember when the last time my family put up lights or a tree. Kinda sad if i think about it Sad Hopefully next year, I'll be able to get more into the spirit.
erlendhg
That is so crazy. I don't know what to say.
And the FM signal he sends out, just comes on top of everything.
It is hilarious and weird on the same time.

Is it the same guy or people who is behind both the house and the neighborhood?
jabce85
someone had waaay too much time on their hands
gs-resume
The led technology makes Christmas light applications incredible diverse. Light-emitting diodes are used in applications such as replacements for aviation lighting, automotive lighting (particularly brake lamps, turn signals and indicators) as well as in traffic signals. The compact size, the possibility of narrow bandwidth, switching speed, and extreme reliability of LEDs has allowed new text and video displays and sensors to be developed, while their high switching rates are also useful in advanced communications technology. Infrared LEDs are also used in the remote control units of many commercial products including televisions, DVD players, and other domestic appliances.