FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How do i split up my server space?

TheGeek
I have a 2 different websites i was hoping to host off of my server and i was wondering how to split up the server space so that i could have one account accessible to me for one site and another used for the other.

Is it even possible?
Sunny
You can host mutiple sites without splitting space. if you own domains Just click addon domains in cpanel and you can add them.or else you can set up sub domains.
budazz
Sunny wrote:
You can host mutiple sites without splitting space. if you own domains Just click addon domains in cpanel and you can add them.or else you can set up sub domains.

when you add a sub domain you can add, but it will make it the subdomain longer right?... Very Happy
Bondings
budazz wrote:
Sunny wrote:

when you add a sub domain you can add, but it will make it the subdomain longer right?... Very Happy

Yes, unless you have your own domain.
yupeng
U can use your Add-On domain name in your Cpanel.
Daniel15
If you want to 'split' the space, just add a subdomain. Also, you can also create a seperate FTP account for this subdomain (if you'd like to give FTP access to someone else, but not allow them to access your main files).

budazz wrote:
Sunny wrote:

Yeah, the subdomain will be [newsubdomain].yoursite.frihost.net.
gonzo
When you use "addon domain" in cpanel a few interesting things happen. Say you try to add "perceptionisnotasynonymfortruth.info"

Cpanel will want you to provide:

domain
username/dir
password

So for our example that's

perceptionisnotasynonymfortruth.info
obvious
greenpear

You'll then upload your content for that domain to

/home/[yourusername]/public_html/obvious

or from your FTP client to:

/public_html/obvious

Cpanel will also create a sumdomain space with the same name as the above username:

obvious.[yourmainusername].frihost.net

This is likely done so you can access your files publically prior to DNS propogation since you're on a shared account without your own IP address.

There's no need to specifically allocate X megs to each domain. That'd be useful if you were a reseller and wanted to limit a clients resource consumption.

Does this help?
TheGeek
yes thank you that helps alot.

Now, here is the nex question i have.

How do i get my domain name to work with my frihost acount? i bought a seperate domain name, but when i set the name server, i get a 404 error. Its been about 72 hours since i did this, so it should be setup by now i would think.
Daniel15
Make sure that the DNS has propagated. Go to http://www.dnsstuff.com/ and type your domain into the 'DNS Lookup' box (on the top-right). If everything's alright, you should get something similar to this (obviously, replace [url]stickboarder.uni.cc[/url] with your domain.

http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/lookup.ch?name=stickboarder.uni.cc&type=A wrote:

How I am searching:
Searching for stickboarder.uni.cc A record at k.root-servers.net [193.0.14.129]: Got referral to g3.nstld.com. [took 84 ms]
Searching for stickboarder.uni.cc A record at g3.nstld.com. [192.42.93.32]: Got referral to NS1.CYLARCOM.NET. [took 83 ms]
Searching for stickboarder.uni.cc A record at NS1.CYLARCOM.NET. [200.69.225.132]: Got referral to ns1.frihost.net. [took 163 ms]
Searching for stickboarder.uni.cc A record at ns1.frihost.net. [216.32.68.250]: Reports stickboarder.uni.cc. [took 38 ms]

Answer:
Domain Type Class TTL Answer
stickboarder.uni.cc. A IN 14400 216.32.68.250
stickboarder.uni.cc. NS IN 14400 ns1.frihost.net.
stickboarder.uni.cc. NS IN 14400 ns2.frihost.net.
ns1.frihost.net. A IN 14400 216.32.68.250
ns2.frihost.net. A IN 14400 216.32.68.251

The thing to look at is the table at the bottom. It should have ns1.frihost.net. and ns2.frihost.net. listed as 'NS' type entries, and the FriHost server IP (216.32.68.250) as the 'A' address for your domain (the 'A' addresses at the bottom are for the name servers).

Once you check that this is set up properly, make sure you added the domain as either a parked (your main site) or addon (a subdirectory) domain

If you're still having problems, please post the domain name you're trying to use.
TheGeek
ok thanks, tahts what i didnt do, i didnt set the domain name as a parked domain. Thanks alot.
TheGeek
Ok, im still having problems, i set the domain i want to have as an addon domain, however now that i did that, i setup the redirection to it and everything, but i still get the 404 error.

the domain im trying to use is http://www.epcyouth.org
Bondings
You redirected your domain to some frihost.com subdomain. First of all, it is something.frihost.net and secondly, it is better not to redirect your domain at all. Making it an addon domain is enough.
gonzo
TheGeek wrote:
i setup the redirection to it

Please explain the above step in GREATER detail.
TheGeek
when im in Cpanel i click addon domain
from there i type in the domain name i wish to add and then click save
after i save it i setup the redirection to it so that when they type in that domain name since its set to my nameserver it automatically is supposed to redirect to the directory specified in the redirect. It doesnt do that, it still gives me the 404 error...

any suggestions?
TheGeek
lol, nvm i figured it out...was redirecting to the wrong domain name...man i feel dumb.