FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Fallout 3 - give me ideas :)

David_Pardy
Hey guys,

I've completed Fallout 3 and all its expansions. I'm just going through and finishing as many unmarked quests on the main map, but after that's done I guess it's time to retire that character and start over!

Is anyone here familiar with any GOOD mods which provide more stuff to do? I'm not interested in anything lore-breaking or major gameplay changes, but rather I would look more stuff to do which fits in with the overall atmosphere.

When I do start over, I intend to draw things out even longer - I won't fast travel at all, and I'm going to play on Very Hard difficulty to try and make life hell Wink. I already have a good plan of action for character development (I gave him 10 Intelligence to start with). I intend to have him start out as being good and helpful, and then to become disillusioned over time and to start operating for personal game, with no concern for others.

Also, is anyone aware of any mods that make more of the pickup-able items in the game (like clipboards and irons) useful? I'm curious to see what can be done.
spinout
hm, can you give me hints how to loot the best?? Im kind of getting every place emty... And I am still pore... Confused
David_Pardy
Explore EVERYTHING. Make sure you collect scrap metal and pre-war books to sell to the people who will pay for them Smile. Don't use drugs, sell them to vendors.

The other tip I will give you is to fight as many Super Mutants as you can. You will almost always get one or two Hunting Rifles after each confrontation, and a bit of ammo too. Sneak around and headshot them with the hunting rifle to minimise your ammo usage, you also get more experience for sneak kills or criticals I think (I've been level 30 for a looong time).

Take your time, don't worry about finishing the main quest in a hurry. The more side quests and exploring you do, the sooner you'll find more unique weapons which are more powerful and will often hold more ammo. Try and find the Lincoln Repeater and A3-21's Plasma Rifle as soon as you can as they're both quite powerful and will put you ahead of the game really quickly.

If you want life in Fallout 3 to be as easy as possible, start with 10 intelligence, get explosives to 25 as soon as you can (to defuse the nuke in Megaton), then get Lockpick and Science to 50, then Small Guns to 50, then Repair and Speech to 50. It's important to get Speech as high as possible as soon as possible because you can negotiate more money out of things with speech checks.

It's important to get Small Guns as high as possible because I can tell you right now that you will use small guns more than energy weapons or big guns, at least for the first three quarters of the game.

Obviously you need Lockpick and Science to be high, although you can often get away with just one or the other. I would generally put Science up before Lockpick as you'll often find computers allowing you to unlock doors without needing to use Lockpick.

Don't bother with most stat raising perks (such as Daddy's Boy) if you have high intelligence, you're just wasting perks. If you find you're leveled up and there's no perks you like, put them into Intense Training and bring up your other stats (Strength, Endurance, etc.)
spinout
aha, the super mutants seem to be loading the greater stuff!

Lincoln Repeater and A3-21's Plasma Rifle - ok thanks for that . I will go seeking for that!!
David_Pardy
Oh, I made a mistake!!

DON'T set Intelligence to 10, set it to 9. Then, as soon as you start playing seek out the Intelligence bobblehead, and all the other SKILL bobbleheads, not the stat ones.

The reason for this is when you reach I think it's level 24, you can choose the 'Almost Perfect' perk which will put all your stats up to 9. THEN, go out and find the rest of the bobbleheads to bring everything up to 10 Smile.

Throughout the game events will occur which will enable you to increase your stats anyway, no use wasting those bobbleheads like I pretty much did Sad
QrafTee
spinout wrote:
hm, can you give me hints how to loot the best?? Im kind of getting every place emty... And I am still pore... Confused
Get the Ammo finding Perk, but not the cap Perk.

Ammo can be sold for Caps and keeps you from having to spend money on gun ammo which can add up.
spinout
oh, that was probably a major perk! Im so confused about what to choose!
David_Pardy
I've chosen the perks in this order:

Lady Killer (Let's you get more information out of women and do more damage to females)
Intense Training (Endurance)
Educated (you get to put more skill points each level up)
Comprehension (2 skill points instead of 1 per book)

It's also good to get:

Entomologist (Scorpions can be bullet sponges)
Cyborg
Robotics Expert

But really, pick and choose what you will. Always get Lawbringer or Bounty Hunter as they provide another source of income. I personally will always weigh up the best options and pick what I think is best.
achowles
I recommend you take a look at sites like:

Fallout Nexus - for mods. There's plenty here. Both gameplay changing and not. Plenty of mods customise weapon creation that could make use of scrap items. Generally this is the best place for Fallout 3 mods, from total conversions to minor visual tweaks.

ModDB - A huge collection of mods for every game on every major platform. Also includes some of the better Fallout 3 mods.

Fallout Wiki - If you want to learn more about the Wasteland, its items and inhabitants then this is the place to go. If you want to see how different quest choices pan out then you can find that here too.

Also, as stated, you never want to set anything at 10 right from the start. Especially if you know where the bobbleheads are.
David_Pardy
That's why I corrected myself. Set Intelligence to 9, then go get the Bobblehead. That way you get the maximum amount of skill points available per level.
QrafTee
David_Pardy wrote:
That's why I corrected myself. Set Intelligence to 9, then go get the Bobblehead. That way you get the maximum amount of skill points available per level.
You should make a mad dash to Rivet City once you get out of the Vault in that case... don't want to accidentally level up and get less points into your character.
David_Pardy
That's exactly what I did Smile

Then run back to Megaton and follow the MQ from there Smile.
todabeat
i just bought this game

i bought the game of the year edition
it looks like its a good game.
but it get annoying going through all the conversations
to get to one point to another
QrafTee
todabeat wrote:
i just bought this game

So you like game without an interactive story? Hm... take my advice, stay away from Heavy Rain and embrace Modern Warfare 2.
Flakky
There is a mod which can make you go to level 60 and you can increase your stats above 100 and still get an advantage. For long term players you should do this at least. Google it, I hated being stuck at lvl 20 and not going on, I felt that every enemy I killed was a waste of bullets instead of a victory for self improvement.
spinout
Is level 60 max?
David_Pardy
Flakky, if you get Broken Steel the level cap is raised to 30... That's all you need! Besides, all the mods which raise the maximum level cap tend to make the game unstable.

I haven't been playing FO3 for a few weeks now, been a bit too busy with other things... NFS:MW has been occupying a bit of my time and I'll be restarting Mass Effect as I put that game down for a little too long.

That being said, I've completed FO3 and its expansions with nearly 100% completion, so I probably need at least a brief respite from it Wink.
todabeat
QrafTee wrote:
todabeat wrote:
i just bought this game

So you like game without an interactive story? Hm... take my advice, stay away from Heavy Rain and embrace Modern Warfare 2.

i like games with story, but it gets too long, i rather read a book. or just live life. there's a good interactive story.

hahaha
Flakky
David_Pardy wrote:
Flakky, if you get Broken Steel the level cap is raised to 30... That's all you need! Besides, all the mods which raise the maximum level cap tend to make the game unstable.

I haven't been playing FO3 for a few weeks now, been a bit too busy with other things... NFS:MW has been occupying a bit of my time and I'll be restarting Mass Effect as I put that game down for a little too long.

That being said, I've completed FO3 and its expansions with nearly 100% completion, so I probably need at least a brief respite from it Wink.

I don't agree with a level cap of 30 being enough. Although it can make the game more unstable I will continue with the level cap mod.
achowles
[quote="Flakky"]
David_Pardy wrote:
I don't agree with a level cap of 30 being enough. Although it can make the game more unstable I will continue with the level cap mod.

It's realistic though. A person can only push themselves so hard and achieve so much. There's a limit, no matter what. Plus, having a level cap means you can't round out your character later on into a jack of all trades. The choices you make regarding character development matter more.
Flakky
[quote="achowles"]
Flakky wrote:
David_Pardy wrote:

It's realistic though. A person can only push themselves so hard and achieve so much. There's a limit, no matter what. Plus, having a level cap means you can't round out your character later on into a jack of all trades. The choices you make regarding character development matter more.
That is a coincidence, I called my character Jack Razz I don't feel like replaying the game again just because I want more explosive and better big guns. It is tough.
David_Pardy
Mate, if you do it right you can get pretty much ALL of your stats to 100.

If it's perks you're worried about, well fair enough, but the game is supposed to be reasonably realistic - no uber-god characters!
Flakky
David_Pardy wrote:
Mate, if you do it right you can get pretty much ALL of your stats to 100.

If it's perks you're worried about, well fair enough, but the game is supposed to be reasonably realistic - no uber-god characters!
How realistic is it to suddenly realise that you reached all your potention Razz I like the game more this way, Bethesda intended the other way. I don't mind, I got my way anyway Razz
David_Pardy
In all fairness, what you're doing could really be perceived as cheating Razz

Don't you like being challenged just that little bit more?

It's not like the game is even difficult anymore once you've reached level 30. All you need is a lot of ammo for killing Reavers, Overlords and Albinos. If you are continually dying, it's because you're not good enough, not because your character is not good enough Wink.

I haven't played F3 for a couple of months now, mainly because I did spend a large amount of time on it back when I started this topic. I am, however really keen for Fallout: New Vegas which is due out late this year! It should be great fun... It's been designed by the original Fallout 1 + 2 team in the style of F3 but the gameplay itself revolves a lot more around your reputation and factions, which to be perfectly honest is going to be awesome. Skills are more important in that you'll find more conversation items coming up depending on your skill levels to help you manipulate certain situations.

I'm really looking forward to it... I've been disappointed with the small amount of mods available for Fallout 3 as far as extending the gameplay is concerned. It seems that most of the mods I see are pointless weapon modifications and naked body replacers.