FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Keeping Fish for a Dummy

Marcuzzo
I went and bough a fishtank the other day.

it's a basic 60l tank and the guy at the shop told me to drop 15cl of some product in every day for a week in order to turn the tap water into fishtank water, also to make sure that my mechanical filter turns into a biological filter... that is what I understood of it.

I still have a week to decide which fish to get for it but I'm not sure.
can I, for instance, put together a blowfish and a siamese fighting fish?
I have read that the last one is only agressive towards it's own kind, and at the shop where I got the tank, most of the basins had 1 of these in each.
also, what combinations are best avoided.

I don't realy know anything about keepnig fish and I don't want my fish to die on me.
are there any good books, sites where I can get more info on the topic.

thanks in advance.

[/img]
Crinoid
I'm too late with answer, but there are tropical fish forums, planted tank forums, specialized in this kind of information.

You can find anything you are looking for at the moment using search engine, for example, compatibility blowfish and siamese fighting fish (betta?), cycling new tank, freshwater aquarium for beginners.

For making tap water suitable for fish, you need "tap water conditioner", read label if it removes chloramines too. AmQuel is good, Prime too, but any will neutralize chlorine.

Then there is bacterial support products, that speed up the cycling of the new tank (see cycling new tank or aquarium), Like Stability or Bio-support. These containing bacteria you will need to populate your sand, rock and/or biological filter. Gradual adding of the plants from established tanks in fish store (or from other hobbyist from classifieds) will give more to the bacterial population, established sand too, but getting it is more difficult.

You will need at least ammonia test kit to make sure that your tank has no ammonia and is safe for adding fish. Bottled test kits are preferable to paper strips.

If mechanical filter will be populated by bacteria (polyester wool, not sponge), you will lose them during discarding it time from time. Sponge in mechanical filter is more or less permanent, populated by bacteria, and not discarded but washed in old tank water and returned back. Mechanical filter media (poly wool) should be placed before sponge, preventing it from collecting crud that will rot there and pollute tank water.

Uneaten fish food should be removed after feeding.

You also will need some gravel cleaner and tubing for water changes. Heater (if you are not in tropical climate) and thermometer too.

Good luck!
ocalhoun
Crinoid wrote:

For making tap water suitable for fish, you need "tap water conditioner", read label if it removes chloramines too. AmQuel is good, Prime too, but any will neutralize chlorine.

You can also fill the tank with purified or distilled water, sold relatively cheaply at grocery stores in 1 gallon jugs.

Or, if you get your water from a well (or know someone who does), you can probably just use that water.

I once knew someone who would just collect some water from a nearby lake, but doing that will increase the amount of algae and diseases in your tank.

Quote:

Uneaten fish food should be removed after feeding.

You also will need some gravel cleaner and tubing for water changes. Heater (if you are not in tropical climate) and thermometer too.

Get one or two of these:

And it'll do a lot of the cleaning for you. You'll still have to clean sometimes, but it won't be as often.
They have the nice trait of usually growing to match the size of the tank. In a small tank, they stay small, in a big tank, they grow huge.
jwellsy
Stay away from salt water fish and setups until after you get the hang of running a freshwater rig.

You may also consider setting it up as a vivarium. It's part aquarium and part terrarium. You can have a few little fish, crayfish, waterfall, stream, lots of water and bog plants, frogs, geckos and a fog generator. They are visually very stunning and interesting. It's also much easier to maintain a brackish water vivarium than a traditional freshwater tank with blue gravel.