FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Upgrading a friend's computer

weableandbob
My friend bought the Orange Box today, only to realize that his integrated graphics don't work with it (or at least portal). A friend and I both have old graphics cards that work with it that we could give him, but his power supply seems to be limiting what he can use. He only has a 255 watt, and my old XFX 8400 requires at least 300, so I don't think it's usable. My friend has an old 7350, but we don't know what the minimum power requirements are. Does anyone know if it would work, or if the 8400 would somehow work? Here's a PDF of his specs, he has the desktop version. http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/optix/en/desktop-optiplex-760-customer-brochure-en.pdf
AftershockVibe
If I were you, I'd just plug in the new graphics card and see if it works. Neither of those cards are particularly high performance and it's not going to damage the hardware anyway.

If you do get problems they should be fairly obvious - unexplained resets, blank screen or the more subtle appearance of graphical artifacts under load (i.e. When playing portal).

Also for Portal your CPU has quite a big role to play for the engine so changing just the graphics card may not help improve performance as much as you'd like.
AftershockVibe
If I were you, I'd just plug in the new graphics card and see if it works. Neither of those cards are particularly high performance and it's not going to damage the hardware anyway.

If you do get problems they should be fairly obvious - unexplained resets, blank screen or the more subtle appearance of graphical artifacts under load (i.e. When playing portal).

Also for Portal your CPU has quite a big role to play for the engine so changing just the graphics card may not help improve performance as much as you'd like.
Diablosblizz
What's the processor speed for the computer, try going to http://cyri.systemrequirementslab.com/srtest/ and see what needs to be upgraded to play.
william
I can tell you an old Geforce 7350 LE has worked on computers with 300 Watt power supplies. 255 watts, on the other hand, would worry me. Dell power supplies are notorious for being subpar. Heck, Dell has paired some high end cards (back in 2003, the Radeon 9800) with 250 Watt power supplies before, but those power supplies didn't last. Trust me, I know. What are the other specifications of the machine? The above posters are right about the CPU. From that spec sheet, if he's running a 400 series or E1000 series Celeron, that may be the problem right there. Portal isn't a very demanding game, it was well programmed, but having something from at least the E5000 line isn't a bad idea.

Oh, and I would highly consider upgrading the power supply, if possible. I only say this because I've seen too many of Dell's power supplies fail due to how much stress is put on them. The 7350 should work with that power supply if it's anything like the standard 7300, which requires a minimum 250 watts.
ForceRun
just plug it in like he said, it won't hit it. If you are worried about the PSU, just upgrade that as well, they are cheap for a simple 400 to 500 watt unit.