You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

King Tut's Curse

Do you Believe?
 0%  [ 0 ]
 100%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 5

[I wonder if there is a better spot for this, but for now I am posting it here, if thats okay.]

I was thinking about King Tut and read an article from a past newspaper about the Pharaoh Tutankhamun and his Tomb. King Tut's curse had affected many people, more than 21 all related in some way. Although there were many coincidences, many of which had to do with people that beleived in the curse and egyptian culture/belief. Here are some things that happened shortly after Tut's tomb was first explored:

1) A Canary that was taken/found (something like that Laughing ) to/by/from the expedition was eaten by a Cobra, the "Protector" of Pharaohs

2) When one explorer died in Cairo, the town's electricity went out for short amount of time

3) Also when the above explorer died, his dog that was in England the whole time Howled and Died

4) Inscribed on the exterior of Tut's tomb is a saying, a saying of which says "Swift death will slay with his wings whoever disturbs the peace of the pharaoh."

5) Someone killed themselves (Suicide, Jumped of a building) for the reason of "Too many horrors"

6) A bite mark, caused by and insect was found on both Tut and an Explorer when inside the tomb

7) Many more can be found in online articles

I'm am not sure if I truly believe it or not (More leaning toward the Believing side), but there is enough evidence to support either answer, whether yes or no.

So what do you think, do you believe?
Nope, don't believe a word of it. There was also a study done some time ago on this topic and it's outcome was also negative. Read that abstract:
Mark R Nelson
Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, Monash University, Alfred Hospital, Prahran 3181, Australia

Objective: To examine survival of individuals exposed to the "mummy's curse" reputedly associated with the opening of the tomb of Tutankhamen in Luxor, Egypt, between February 1923 and November 1926.
Design: Retrospective cohort study.
Participants: 44 Westerners identified by Howard Carter as present in Egypt at the specified dates, 25 of whom were potentially exposed to the curse.
Main outcome measures: Length of survival after date of potential exposure.
Results: In the 25 people exposed to the curse the mean age at death was 70 years (SD 12) compared with 75 (13) in those not exposed (P=0.87 for difference). Survival after the date of exposure was 20.8 (15.2) v 28.9 (13.6) years respectively (P=0.95 for difference). Female sex was a predictor for survival (P=0.02).
Conclusions: There was no significant association between exposure to the mummy's curse and survival and thus no evidence to support the existence of a mummy's curse.

The link is: (you have to register to read it)
I also do not believe, and c'tair's post is actually pretty convincing for not believing, but really I had no idea about this curse until now! of course i don't know much about Egyptian history (but I will in a few weeks..I'm starting a class this upcoming quarter as part of a civilization sequence called Ancient Empires: The Egyptian Empire). Still, pretty interesting, but I just don't buy it...
I personally don't believe in this curse, everything seems too coincidental.
me either....i don't believe it is a curse....
I wouldn't say I believe in the curse, but I find all of the Egyptian history fascinating. How a Pharaoh would direct such a large population of people for years to build his tomb. All of the wealth poured into a project like that just to facilitate their belief.... wait.. doesn't that sound like many modern religious cults?

Anyway, back to the subject at hand, the curse is fascinating but I also find c'tair's post very scientific and convincing (assuming he is accurate).