FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

File too large... WTF?!

Denvis
So I want to move a 7.42GB file into my external hdd. It has 494GB free space but whenever I try to move the file it keeps popping up with the msg.

Quote:
The file '[enter file name]' is too large for the destination file system.

I think it's the file and not my hdd. Confused
rickylau
One possibility is your external hard disk is using old file system, the message you received reveals this possibility:
Quote:
The file '[enter file name]' is too large FOR THE DESTINATION FILE SYSTEM.

For common file systems in Windows, FAT16 (or simply FAT) limits the size of a single file to 2GB, and FAT32 have a limit of 4GB, it is possible that your external hard disk is formatted in one of these file systems (should be FAT32, since FAT16 cannot support storage with volume more then 2GB), therefore you are not able to copy the 7.42GB file into it.

Solutions:
- Reformat the external hard disk to other file system like NTFS, however you have to back up your external hard disk first, and older versions of Windows cannot support your external hard disk after that (If you will use your external hard disk on earlier Windows, it is not an option)
- Split (+compress, optional) your file into pieces no more then 4GB for each single piece (Common compression softwares should be able to do so)
ocalhoun
^He's right, it probably is the file system of the disk that is the problem.

However, there is a way to convert the FAT32 file system to NTFS without loosing the data that's on it... Though to be safe, you should still back up your data before doing it.

These instructions will convert the file system to NTFS and (if there are no malfunctions) not loose any data:
Quote:

1:Open Command Prompt
Start | All Programs | Accessories | Command Prompt
OR
Start | Run | type "cmd" without quotes | OK

2:Type "convert drive letter: /fs:ntfs" and press Enter. For example, type "convert G: /fs:ntfs" (without quotes) if you want to convert drive G.

3:If you're asked whether you want to dismount the drive, agree.
Denvis
Yeah, you guys are right. It's using a FAT32 File system.

Rickylau said FAT16 has a limit of 2GB, FAT32 has a limit of 4GB so I assume NTFS has a limit of 8GB? Confused

Anyway really thankful for the help guys. I'll be following ocalhoun's instructions to convert into NTFS. Cheers! Also, how many other file systems are there and what are their limits?
ocalhoun
NTFS can have files as large as 16,000,000,000GB (16EB). ^.^
Now, if you could just find a hard drive that big...

For information on other file systems, Wikipedia comparison of file systems

FAT16, FAT32, and NTFS are the only ones I'm aware of that windows can use though.
Denvis
Woohoo! I got it done... 3rd times to charm hehe. Why do people sell external hdd as fat32 =.=

THANKS!!!
ocalhoun
Denvis wrote:
Why do people sell external hdd as fat32 =.=

So that it will be compatible with windows 98, older versions of linux, and older versions of MacOS.
albuferque
FAT32 (or the even older FAT16) is the file system used in older MS-DOS and Windows systems. It has been replaced by NTFS in the newest Windows OSses, and Vista and Windows 7 do not even install into a FAT32 drive. NTFS is more reliable and offers better security and protection against data loss.

However, FAT32 is typically still the default file system in external hard disks, and it was also widely used by major PC manufacturers with XP installations.

FAT32 has several limitations and drawbacks compared to NTFS. From bittorrent or video editing usage perspective, the limitation of the maximum file size of 4 Gigabytes is the most important one.

Info from microsoft:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314463

The confusion about FAT file size seems to stem from the fact that FAT16 has a 4GB limit on partition size, whereas FAT32 has a 2TB limit on partition size.

Windows XP and Windows 2000 limit partition creation to no larger than 32GB on FAT32. This limitation is by design: Microsoft wants you to use NTFS for large drives.
Jean-Clod
Windows does actually recognize other filesystems (than NTFS & FAT).. UDF & NTFS! (optical drives, ranging from CD to BRD) Razz
SMACKDOWNSARPUNCH
HEY EVERYONE I HAVE FINALLY FOUND A WAY TO CONVERT A HARD DRIVE FROM NTFS TO FAT32 WITHOUT FOLLOWING ALL THIS BULLSHIT ABOUT PARTITION MAGIC AND BLA BLA BLA.

For those of you who are reading this, this is a definite sure way of converting your hard drives. I recently bought a Lacie 500 GB external hard drive for my playstation3 slim and it worked like a charm. Go to this website :

http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?fat32format.htm

When you are on this page you will see the following paragraph

Note If you find fat32format a bit fiddly to use or these instructions a bit hard to follow you should try the replacement for fat32format. It is a Windows application with a GUI. Try it here

Click on "here" and you will be on another page of a picture of the program. Click on the image and it will install. ALl you have to do then is format to FAT32 and your SET. Peace fellas.
SMACKDOWNSARPUNCH
Hey fellas. Just thought I'd add for anyone who wants to disagree with me.... I tried that other method of going through MS DOS and typing in that line and after 4-5 hours of waiting like a total idiot i get the message saying "File too large for fat32". I was like WHAT THE ******! So once i tried this i thought theres no way this 2-3 minute process could ever work. I tried it anyways and what do you know; It does!!! ENjoyyy Peopleee
brianok
Try LONG PATH TOOL!!! the best solution
Marcuzzo
brianok wrote:
Try LONG PATH TOOL!!! the best solution

You bumped a thread without reading it, the filesize was the problem and not the PATH length.
johans
Hmmm..

Now, i use onedrive or they called it before skydrive. Anywhere i go as long as there is internet i can access it.

I really like it.

It is also free.

1TB - has payment but very minimal for a month.

I think also if you pay for a year it becomes more cheaper.

The question here is the security? Is this can be access by the skydrive or one drive staff? hhmmmm..

Then i need to think.. Idea Idea Idea
Marcuzzo
johans wrote:
Hmmm..

Now, i use onedrive or they called it before skydrive. Anywhere i go as long as there is internet i can access it.

I really like it.

It is also free.

The question here is the security? Is this can be access by the skydrive or one drive staff? hhmmmm..

Does anybody actually still read the thread???
thantoanthang
Just format your HDD into NTFS standard.
zacky
Marcuzzo wrote:
johans wrote:
Hmmm..

I really like it.

It is also free.

Does anybody actually still read the thread???

I don't know if that a spam or he is crazy!

Its like someone ask 1+1 and he answered "apple".